• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How best to drain oil from this “quick drain”?

aviatoraf

FRIEND
Carefree, Arizona
It’s time to change oil. See pic below … it’s a Curtis quick drain plug on an O-320-B2B. I’m accustomed to the type of quick drain that has a nipple hanging down, they’re easy to connect a rubber hose to. This one is about 7/8” diameter and it doesn’t leave much room to get a hose on it before opening the valve. Any tips or tricks you can suggest?

FA5028C8-98A4-4F6A-9785-BADB9B87B8FD.jpeg

Attachments

• FA5028C8-98A4-4F6A-9785-BADB9B87B8FD.jpeg
    FA5028C8-98A4-4F6A-9785-BADB9B87B8FD.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 8F97A83A-59D7-43E5-8065-09C1503ADF31.jpeg
    8F97A83A-59D7-43E5-8065-09C1503ADF31.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 122
Carefully remove the lower cowl and place a bucket under the drain. Open the drain and allow all the old oil to drain out. Then use an open end wrench to remove this drain valve and install a valve with a hose barb on it.:lol:

Web

Once I had the same challenge. I cut L-shaped slots in the end of a tight fitting hose and hung it over the drain's ears. Then did as Web suggested and got the right part for the job.

Gary

I just use a small funnel with a hose on it which goes in the cap of a 5 gallon bucket. Tie the funnel up to something under the drain so it will stay put till your done. Doing that for years on my SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the aircraft we work on with tight cowlings we often use a trash bag liner in the cowling and just use it to direct the oil towards a bucket. Saves mucking around with hoses and when you're done the cowling is left clean and oil free........or fit a quick drain with a barb 😁

On the aircraft we work on with tight cowlings we often use a trash bag liner in the cowling and just use it to direct the oil towards a bucket. Saves mucking around with hoses and when you're done the cowling is left clean and oil free........or fit a quick drain with a barb 

Same idea but with aluminum foil.

Mission accomplished.

Next time I change the oil (which will be in a few weeks), I am going to replace this quick drain valve with one that has a barb and to which I can connect a hose. There are several quick drain valves on the market. Anyone have thoughts on which one is best, or which ones to avoid?

thanks

See my post #9, that is he one I prefer. O'ring is replaceable with standard o'ring and price is as right as it can be.

I was remembering being in Reeves and having a choice between two drain valves that looked essentially the same with very different prices. One must have been Aeroquip. I believe the ones I bought are Saf-Air. I had an old push-pull drain on the 180's old engine. I liked it best but they're long gone from the market.

The Safe-Air drain valve will push up without having to rotate it first so oil immediately comes out as you’re trying to push your drain hose on. That’s a pain . I reach in with a long screwdriver to hold it down while I install the hose. The good ones have to be rotated to unlock them .

My QD requires a turn, it is 3/8" OD: I simply have a 1/2" OD hose (3/8" ID) out thru cowl, right below QD, about a 3" stub hanging out stays on the QD all the time. When I change oil, I slip a 3/4" hose that's 1/2" ID; right up over the stub that's already there, other end in a bucket. Pop the top cowl and pull up and turn the QD; oil starts running, 30 secs total involved to get draining. Been doing that way for years. When your done simply remove the 3/4 hose off
The 1/2" stub and snap QD down. Add your oil and your golden!

Last edited:
A caution....if the quick drain is a simple push up to open without the initial turn then push up style, make sure any hose connected to the outlet is flexible especially in the cold. Years ago when QD's were simply push to open a cold or rigid outlet hose might partially open the drain in flight. That's typically if the hose was attached to nearby metal tubing like the engine's mount. Engine movement relative to the rigid mount can make it occur. Yes, had it happen until I removed the stiff garden hose in winter.

Gary

Aviatoraf,
I am at Greenville Seaplane Convention, but will post pic of it tomorrow....... It has a knurled ring at top of it that is anodized Red from memory. Nicely made. I will get name and numbers off it for you. I think I have length of like 6000 Rubber hose coming off it out thru cowl. Just use an old junk of garden hose to shove over the rubber hose. Works slick.
E

Ok here is a couple pics of it, still not sure of the manufacturer??IMG_20210914_132346440.jpgIMG_20210914_132411042.jpgIMG_20210914_132402064.jpg.
Last pic show how far it extends thru cowl to easily push garden hose over it.
Hope this makes sense.
Good Luck
EView attachment 57507

Attachments

• IMG_20210914_132346440.jpg
    IMG_20210914_132346440.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210914_132411042.jpg
    IMG_20210914_132411042.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210914_132402064.jpg
    IMG_20210914_132402064.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Gary,
That's it olde boy! QD's are sorta like Filson jackets ?
"Might as well have the Best"....:wink:

Nothing like the smell of a Filson wool jacket and pants the day after a good rain and fish slime.

Gary

Now that's the "Alaskan Tux'edo'.....
Bout the only thing that will keep a fella warm on Kodiak, late May, standing there while it's sleeting all day and 30 degrees, with wind blowing a gale.( Wondering if you will ever get back to Iliamna for supper)

^^^^And back across Shelikof Strait with a stiff breeze creating mechanical turbulence off the NW shore? I was a ground pounder/fish squeezer on Kodiak back in the early '70's. Still snow patches during late May as I recall.

I've got one of your QD's on my Taylorcraft.

Gary

Until you have battled your way back from Kodiak into a screaming offshore wind coming off Cape Douglas, making 30 mph, in ugly turbulence , going stop to stop on the stick, peddling the rudders like a bike, you haven't had the real Alaskan experience!:wink:

Back