• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lightweight VHF Radio and Transponder

kiwicubber

PATRON
Te Kowhai, New Zealand
Looking for suggestions for types of lightweight certified VHF Radio and transponder for fitment to a Super Cub. Can be either panel mounted or remote mount with panel controller. Also looking for any recent bad experiences.

Should expand on that.

On Cub type panels, stay away from 'square radios'. These panels were not designed for the cutouts or the weight of the radios. Both Becker and Trig have small avionics that fit into the panel just like a 2 1/4" instrument. Just three or four screws and no trays. This also simplifies the installation of the wire harness as you'll spend less time upside down under the panel installing the harness to the tray and the tray to the panel. Just plug the connector to the radio and secure it.

I've had very good experiences with both of these brands and highly recommend them.

Web

Neroli
I had a Becker Comm and Txp in my Cub. Loved them. No experience with Trig.

Lou

Web, I'm planning my panel now on my rebuild and would like to set everything up over the winter. Can you recommend a transponder / ADS-B set up for minimal compliance and cost? I already have a good Becker 4201 Com and am thinking about the transponder requirements for ADS-B compliance. I am thinking of using a Trig TT22 transponder and Uavionix Skybeacon. However Skybeacon says it can be used 'with any mode C or S transponder' so does that mean I can pick up a used mode C Becker and still be compliant? There's something else to do with class 1 or 2 so I'm not sure.
Do you see any less expensive way to set up for the ADS-B compliance starting from scratch? Maybe best to just equip with a good transponder for now since almost all of my flying is out of ADS-B required areas.

Trig comm and transponder, the remote mount can be seen under the right side of the panel. They weigh less than a pound each. The intercom function of the comm has worked flawlessly, even with the door open. If you want to do ADS-B out, Trig has a light weight unit that is compatible with their transponder.
DSC00698.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00698.jpg
    DSC00698.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,409
  • DSC00703.jpg
    DSC00703.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,225
Agreed. If you don't require a transponder now, you'll most likely not be required to have ADS-B.

Kiwi - When you say 'certified' what are your local requirements? US FCC approved, TSO'd, full STC packaged kit?

Web

Last edited:
Web, I'm planning my panel now on my rebuild and would like to set everything up over the winter. Can you recommend a transponder / ADS-B set up for minimal compliance and cost? I already have a good Becker 4201 Com and am thinking about the transponder requirements for ADS-B compliance. I am thinking of using a Trig TT22 transponder and Uavionix Skybeacon. However Skybeacon says it can be used 'with any mode C or S transponder' so does that mean I can pick up a used mode C Becker and still be compliant? There's something else to do with class 1 or 2 so I'm not sure.
Do you see any less expensive way to set up for the ADS-B compliance starting from scratch? Maybe best to just equip with a good transponder for now since almost all of my flying is out of ADS-B required areas.

Units like the Skybeacon or the GDL 82 use the existing transponder and piggy back a signal onto it's output. But do your homework before you start spending money. Carefully read the specs called out in 91.225 and 91.227 AND the related TSO specs. There are minimum power requirements for using an existing transponder. And if you plan on flying outside of the US your system needs to operate on 1090 mhz. 'UAT' systems such as the Skybeacon transmit on 978 mhz. This is legal only in the US under 10K.

As far as the installation/interface procedures go, you need to find out if the system you wish to install has it's own GPS WAAS position sensor or if it requires a signal from another source. Also some UAT's interface with the transponder electronically through the transponder antenna. Other units require the transponder coax cable to be routed through the UAT. Still other units use RS 232 data lines to interface with the transponder.

--THERE IS NO SINGLE WAY TO BUILD AN ADS-B SYSTEM--

As to your specific question of using the TT22 and a Skybeacon; No. The TT22 is an 'extended squitter' transponder. That means that it is interrogated on 1030 mhz and transmits on 1090 mhz (and at 250 watts which is Class 1) . It also incorporates the extended squitter message with all the required information for mode S and ADS-B. The only thing it requires is a GPS WAAS location signal to make it fully ADS-B out compliant. You can use any certified, GPS WAAS signal for this purpose as long as it can be sent to the TT22 on a data line (RS 232). If you want to stay small, Trig has a WAAS unit called the TN-70 for just this purpose.

The Skybeacon is a UAT unit that transmits on 978 mhz. It also has a built in GPS WAAS position sensor. When installed it puts the extended squitter message and the GPS position onto the existing transponder's signal. That makes that system ADS-B legal in the US, at 10,000 feet or under.

For most Cub type installations, I usually recommend the TT22. Not the cheapest but one of the most compact setups. If you never fly outside the US, a mode C Becker and a Skybeacon will work fine.

Web

Hi Web, the aircraft is certified and I don’t want to go the experimental way. Our rules for experimental are a bit more strict than US rules anyway. The radio could be certifiedTSO’d or under an STC.
I think we have settled on the Trigg. Will be good to have them front and centre on he panel :)

I put the Trig TY91 into my PA12 6 weeks ago. Just made a panel to cover the hole left by the King unit it replaced. Connected the new cables to the existing ones to test and then chased all the cables back to their roots.

Works beautifully, built in intercom fantastic and overall sound quality brilliant.

Highly recommended :)

Philly

IMG_2155.JPGIMG_2166.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 221
Thanks Web for helping to clear that up for me. I was thinking with the Trig TT22 and a WAAS GPS that you would still need some sort of ADS-B out device but you've answered that question. I think that's the way I'll go.

The Skybeacon is a UAT unit that transmits on 978 mhz. [...] That makes that system ADS-B legal in the US, at 10,000 feet or under.

Web, very good post. I have one question. It is my understanding that 978 out is legit up to 18,000 ft, not just 10,000 ft. The 10,000 ft limit is where some form of ADS-B out will be required if above 2,500 AGL. Am I mistaken? The 978 options are much cheaper for retrofit of an airplane already equipped with a mode C transponder.

Also, 1090ES lacks anonymous mode. I understand that if the government wants to get you, they will. They do it now with mode C and less. However, ADS-B makes it far too easy for nosy neighbors, competing carriers and others to track people when they have no business doing so. IMHO, the lack of anonymity with ADS-B was a major mistake and it will cause people problems. Not everyone, but it will get some people who felt they had nothing to hide.

Thanks!

You are correct, Sir. I got my numbers turned around in reverse. Read 91.225 (b) as it calls out 978 or 1090 mhz units for airspace 18,000' MSL.

Thanks

Web

Thanks for all the responses.
I put in the Trig TY91 and have been using it for a year with no problems.
However yesterday after start I turned it on, listened to the ATIS then the transmit/Recieve and display failed. The intercom still works and I seem to still get sidetone when I push the transmit button.
can anyone suggest some simple checks before I pull the unit and send it away for repair?
Apparently the nearest repair facilities are in Australia or U.S. so it might be a while before I see them back. ☹️

Sounds like an issue with the TC90 control head. The functions that still work are in the main TY91 box. Make sure the ground wires at pins 1 and 7 are correct. Then check power in and 'remote on' wires at pins 9 and 8. Remember that the ground wires both need to read to ground but the power and remote on wires connect back to the TY91 connector. In their case make sure the wires have continuity from both connectors and that the contacts in both connectors are seated properly.

Web

Attachments

• TC90.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 63
Sounds like an issue with the TC90 control head. The functions that still work are in the main TY91 box. Make sure the ground wires at pins 1 and 7 are correct. Then check power in and 'remote on' wires at pins 9 and 8. Remember that the ground wires both need to read to ground but the power and remote on wires connect back to the TY91 connector. In their case make sure the wires have continuity from both connectors and that the contacts in both connectors are seated properly.

Web

thanks, did the ground checks as suggested. Took the transceiver and controller to my Avionics man, he took one sniff and could tell some of the smoke had got out.
Awaiting his verdict once he opens the box. Not hopeful. ☹️

cheers Bill

On the Trig TY91, where would the separate "box" probably be mounted? Under the dash or under the seat or?

On the Trig TY91, where would the separate "box" probably be mounted? Under the dash or under the seat or?

Yup we have our transceiver behind the bulkhead at the back of the baggage compartment. It turns out a couple of capacitors smoked themselves. Trig have come to the party and are sending a new one under warranty.
Thanks for everyone’s advice 😀

Back