• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-3 Cub Service Manual

Brazoria, Texas
Last edited:
Thank you! I have a J3 w/ O-200A in the hanger of the house I'm renting and I am working on annual inspection squawks. Two questions:
1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none.
2. It needs a new propeller. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150. Does anyone have a field approval for this model? Even so, does the pitch make it pretty useless? He bought "big" 26" ABW tires because he wants to go backcountry with it (in North Idaho).

Last edited:
Thank you! I have a J3 w/ O-200A in the hanger of the house I'm renting and I am working on annual inspection squawks. Two questions:
1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none.
2. It needs a new propeller. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150. Does anyone have a field approval for this model? Even so, does the pitch make it pretty useless? He bought "big" 26" ABW tires because he wants to go backcountry with it (in North Idaho).

I keep telling him to go with the prop listed on the STC. He won't listen to me, because he wants to save money. Sad truth about aviation, small mistakes sometimes cost a lot of money. We all need to be prepared to trot out our checkbooks. I'm getting tired of being an A&P :(

1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none. - No
2. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150 - It would not make a good prop for his intentions even if it was approved. There are much better props....The best ones are not approved. I personally think for a C-90/O-200 that the best prop is the Sensenich 76AK-2 40.... If you want it to pull hard and go slow. Installation on a J3 is not approved, but it is approved for the engine... Go figure.

I'm getting tired of being an A&P...... I get it....

TCDS 1P2 approves the 76AK-2-40 for the A65-C90. I've had mine on a PA-11-90 and Taylorcraft C-85 Stroker (via Field Approval/C90 equivalent) and it does pull well on skis and floats. Has a wider blade chord than the Sen CK series I believe.

Gary

I have that 76AK-2-40 on my C90 Taylorcraft…in full agreement. It’s the prop for that set up

TCDS 1P2 approves the 76AK-2-40 for the A65-C90. I've had mine on a PA-11-90 and Taylorcraft C-85 Stroker (via Field Approval/C90 equivalent) and it does pull well on skis and floats. Has a wider blade chord than the Sen CK series I believe.

Gary

Side by side the Mac 1B90 7440 pulls a little harder

Glenn

Lisa, pick your customers. Some will cost you money. Lots of askholes out there. I have learned a lot about vetting who I work for over the years.

1. Should there be inner cylinder baffles? There are none. - No
2. The owner is asking if he can use the 1A100 MCM6950 off his C150 - It would not make a good prop for his intentions even if it was approved. There are much better props....The best ones are not approved. I personally think for a C-90/O-200 that the best prop is the Sensenich 76AK-2 40.... If you want it to pull hard and go slow. Installation on a J3 is not approved, but it is approved for the engine... Go figure.

I'm getting tired of being an A&P...... I get it....

I was nosy…Fleming Field KSGS? I spent a month or two there this spring working with Jeff Hauck for Dauntless. In fact, I go to Fairbanks tomorrow and finish the BLM contract with Jeff. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Lisa, pick your customers. Some will cost you money. Lots of askholes out there. I have learned a lot about vetting who I work for over the years.

Thanks. This was supposed to be quick because it hasn’t flown. Maybe the last several annuals were quick. My Cubs have a back plate under the brakes. This one doesn’t. Is it an option? The floorboard is breaking out around the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I was nosy…Fleming Field KSGS? I spent a month or two there this spring working with Jeff Hauck for Dauntless. In fact, I go to Fairbanks tomorrow and finish the BLM contract with Jeff. Thanks for the help.

Yep - Thats me. Jeff is good people. Super talented. Let me know if you are ever back in town. Plenty of fun flying around here. Are you flying for Dauntless or bending wrenches?

Does anyone have a field approval for a McCauley 1B90/CM on a J3C-65 with a Univair STC’d O-200A? My FSDO is telling me I need a previous field approval as evidence for getting this field approved. 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back