• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NE Summer Fun

Finally broke down and bought a used log splitter and today's temp we're cool and a good day to try it out. I think it's time to retire my maul. What I split in 30 minutes would have taken me 3 hrs by hand.

Glenn

Last edited:
Geez Glenn - Now all you need is one of those gasoline powered chainsaws instead of your bow saw. Think of how much wood you could cut then.....

IMG_9406.jpg
IMG_9368.jpg

Bookends at Crow Island today.
Peter with his date for the last 43 years and Dave with his new girl.

Attachments

• IMG_9406.jpg
    IMG_9406.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 6,244
  • IMG_9368.jpg
    IMG_9368.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 237
Hi Guys, finally finished up and got my MES & MEI. Look forward to meeting up one of these weekends. Being new at this I still need a little more landing and t/o room but can't wait!

ADF remember those John?

yea--it`s the sense antenna---I used it going to Frobisher Bay, Fort Chimo, Schefferville etc.long time ago---looks like you had a great slaved ADF in your panel---the ADF on the Boeing had the broadcast band also---good for music listening on the night rockets---WNEW--a 50,000 watts NY station was good from BOS to Carolina Beach---it was fun---BTW---excellent write up of your adventures with 8A---Capt Cub

Tom, I'm putting together a float flyin on Hinckley Res. at Jeffs new camp on Sat the 20th or 21st. Room to park about 20 floatplanes. And if the water stops rising a 500' beach is West a 1/2 mile away for BW guys. Afternoon BBQ or possible overnight, details later.

600' of beach

Zoom out. https://earth.app.goo.gl/fEgPh3

lenn

Last edited:
Sounds good, I'm in , I need about 3' of water for safety landing and it looks good in the pic.

That beach in the photo is a lot steeper then it looks and the water runs deep. The neighbors asked Jeff not to let anyone land on the steep beach anymore as it scared the crap outa everyone last time, and now that he owns land there now he doesn't want to piss anyone off. The beach to the West is fairly level and is for wheeled guys

Glenn

I'll do the water, still working on getting on the beach and getting out,lol, it will be fun.
Tom, don't try taxiing up on that beach, you'll get the Twin Bee stuck. Then when you try to power off, it will keep tipping up on it's nose. Be content to put the gear down and just taxi into shallow water turning sideways when the wheels start rolling on the bottom. Approach the shore at an angle. Depending on the slope you may be able to get the tail high enough to get ashore without getting your feet wet.

Thanks Pete, I'll try that. I want to tell you the advice you have given me has been a life saver, I still check the notes from our talks.

Tom, don't try taxiing up on that beach, you'll get the Twin Bee stuck. Then when you try to power off, it will keep tipping up on it's nose. Be content to put the gear down and just taxi into shallow water turning sideways when the wheels start rolling on the bottom. Approach the shore at an angle. Depending on the slope you may be able to get the tail high enough to get ashore without getting your feet wet.

It's steeper then it looks, the water is probably 8 to 10' deep under the front of my floats

Glenn

Good I'll nose in and tie off to,a ground stake that I'll bring.
First remove the copilot's control wheel while still out on the water.
Then open the bow door, holding it open with the brace rod. This will offset the weather cocking effect of the big tail.
Put the gear down for water drag. Then, depending on the slope the gear may also touch the bottom which will help if the wind is blowing.
Leaving the beach will be awkward when nosed in particularly if the wind is not favorable. You will likely need a ground handler to get turned around.
You could tail it in like Glenn's J-4. Using the hand pump slowly retract the gear. The tail wheel will come up first. Pump just enough to retract the tail wheel. Then it should be easier to lift the tail onto the beach. Though in this position you will have to be a monkey to get back into the cabin.

Have fun and post a picture so that I can see how you made out.

Thanks Pete, I have hopes that Glen will wade out and piggy back me in! I left my waders in Alaska where I have three pairs just hanging in a closet. Must be a law,of nature that thing you need are just out of reach,lol.

Thanks Pete, I have hopes that Glen will wade out and piggy back me in! I left my waders in Alaska where I have three pairs just hanging in a closet. Must be a law,of nature that thing you need are just out of reach,lol.

That thing comes with a basement. Throw your rowboat in there.

Glenn

First remove the copilot's control wheel while still out on the water.
Then open the bow door, holding it open with the brace rod. This will offset the weather cocking effect of the big tail.
Put the gear down for water drag. Then, depending on the slope the gear may also touch the bottom which will help if the wind is blowing.
Leaving the beach will be awkward when nosed in particularly if the wind is not favorable. You will likely need a ground handler to get turned around.
You could tail it in like Glenn's J-4. Using the hand pump slowly retract the gear. The tail wheel will come up first. Pump just enough to retract the tail wheel. Then it should be easier to lift the tail onto the beach. Though in this position you will have to be a monkey to get back into the cabin.

Have fun and post a picture so that I can see how you made out.

Yes indeed. Post videos of this operation.

Back