• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thank you CBS, NBC, etc for offering such crappy, continually negative news

Mike has such a positive attitude, his innovation and workmanship is amazing. Really glad he shares his videos with us. Thanks Mike Patey.

Very nice system!! Great for landing and parking in wind, but a tail that high is going to hurt AOA on takeoff. Once the tailwheel touches the ground on rotation you are adding drag and delaying liftoff!! For years I have heard the tail strike/spring compression is to bounce the plane into the air. IT DOES NOT WORK!! It is just extra drag and will lengthen takeoff roll!!!. The great thing about his plane is he is going to have the power to pull through the rotation compression/tailwheel drag of that tailwheel system. For the rest of us low HP mortals the old rules still apply. It is good to see he understands Caster angle/wide fork bushwheel and how it can affect on the ground performance lots of people don't. I would suggest a on board air sys so on takeoff you can lower the tail shock pressure to bump stop level allowing for a better AOA on rotation. You could also adapt it the front tires so you can do 3 psi on landing and 20 on takeoff. Getting the Caster angle right and having tailwheel steering are key to a good ground handling year round bush plane. I am still doing old school 3 or 4 leaf springs with stock or wide fork tailwheels, both are pretty flat after a summer of hard flying. It works and off the shelf stuff but the down side of that, is now you have to change out tailwheel and springs whenever your mission changes. If I build one I think a pivot arm off the stock spring mount with adjustable air shock might be the key because you can always go back to old school. Incorporating the spring like mike did is a great ideal.
DENNY

Very nice system!! Great for landing and parking in wind, but a tail that high is going to hurt AOA on takeoff. Once the tailwheel touches the ground on rotation you are adding drag and delaying liftoff!! For years I have heard the tail strike/spring compression is to bounce the plane into the air. IT DOES NOT WORK!! It is just extra drag and will lengthen takeoff roll!!!. The great thing about his plane is he is going to have the power to pull through the rotation compression/tailwheel drag of that tailwheel system. For the rest of us low HP mortals the old rules still apply. It is good to see he understands Caster angle/wide fork bushwheel and how it can affect on the ground performance lots of people don't. I would suggest a on board air sys so on takeoff you can lower the tail shock pressure to bump stop level allowing for a better AOA on rotation. You could also adapt it the front tires so you can do 3 psi on landing and 20 on takeoff. Getting the Caster angle right and having tailwheel steering are key to a good ground handling year round bush plane. I am still doing old school 3 or 4 leaf springs with stock or wide fork tailwheels, both are pretty flat after a summer of hard flying. It works and off the shelf stuff but the down side of that, is now you have to change out tailwheel and springs whenever your mission changes. If I build one I think a pivot arm off the stock spring mount with adjustable air shock might be the key because you can always go back to old school. Incorporating the spring like mike did is a great ideal.
DENNY

denny after he makes the main gear, then you can opinion if the tail is to high, just going to have to wait and see how he does that.

I agree, like I said with his power I don't think it will be an issue either way. I have just seen a lot of high performance tail gear come out lately that is great for landing but really does set the tail high.
DENNY

Back