• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

mini-tablet GPS

hotrod180

FRIEND
Port Townsend, WA
I've been navigating with Garmin handheld GPS's for a long time-- first a Pilot 3 for about 10 years and about 7 years ago switched to a 196. I just updated the database last summer so it's good to go, still works fine and I'm happy with it. But I've been thinking about modernizing and getting a 7 or 8" mini-tablet and some sort of sectional / moving map GPS app.
How about some (brief) pireps on which tablet & app you use (or have used), and what you like or dislike about it.

Take a look at some of Darrel Starr's posts of the past three to four months. He's got a pretty nice rig using a mini iPad and Stratus.

I think the general consensus is the iPad is the clear favorite for piloting apps. The cell version is favored if you don't want to add an external GPS receiver. Both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are excellent apps (I'm less fluent in the other choices). If you've grown up with Garmin units you're most familiar with a top map view. Foreflight doesn't offer one while Garmin Pilot does. Foreflight does have an aerial view that's nice but it only works when in cell range so only with a cell compatible tablet. If you think you want synthetic vision and/or attitude info expect to pay an additional $800 for either a Stratus or GDL39-3D ADS-B/ADHRS unit. Those are game changers when comparing a tablet app to GPS unit.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?48692-Garmin-Pilot-Question

I think the general consensus is the iPad is the clear favorite for piloting apps. The cell version is favored if you don't want to add an external GPS receiver. Both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are excellent apps (I'm less fluent in the other choices). If you've grown up with Garmin units you're most familiar with a top map view. Foreflight doesn't offer one while Garmin Pilot does. Foreflight does have an aerial view that's nice but it only works when in cell range so only with a cell compatible tablet. If you think you want synthetic vision and/or attitude info expect to pay an additional $800 for either a Stratus or GDL39-3D ADS-B/ADHRS unit. Those are game changers when comparing a tablet app to GPS unit.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?48692-Garmin-Pilot-Question

No need to get a 4G iPad mini. Just use your iPhone as a hotspot. Save the $120 for gas.

I plan to set the tablet up to be a stand-alone device, don't want it to require another device to work.
Looks like the most popular combo's are Foreflight on an ipad, or Garmin Pilot on an ipad or android.
Anyone using (free) Avare & Android?

Last edited:
I'm not very computer-savvy so bear with me.
Having 4G also means that it has a built-in GPS (no separate GPS device required)?
I was just checking out ipads online, I see anywhere from 16GB to 64GB with corresponding price differences.
What is a good compromise between capability and reasonable price?

Last edited:
I'm not a high-tech guy so bear with me.
Having 4G also means that it has a built-in GPS (no separate GPS device required)?
I was just checking out ipads online, I see anywhere from 16GB to 64GB with corresponding price differences.
What is a good compromise between capability and reasonable price?

4G is signal capability. Nothing to do with GPS

Glenn

These work great, reconditioned, cheap, internal GPS. Add Naviator for 34 bucks a year. Velcro wherever you want it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...797020?hash=item3f56b75c9c:g:sd4AAMXQWzNSg38w

How can you tell if it has GPS capability?
I read the description and it doesn't mention that, even under misc special features.

If it does, however, that looks like a good way to get my feet wet on this tablet / app stuff.
$100 for a tablet, and the free Avare app.
I can always upgrade to a fancier device and better app(s) later.
I would kinda like an 8" tablet instead of a 7, though-- I imagine they're probably available on the "used, reconditioned" market also.

Last edited:
Almost all Tablets have a GPS, its the ( Yuppie ) Ipad stuff that are lacking in that dept. Even little Timmy is happy with the $80 reconditioned Samsung.

Glenn

Last edited:
I think the general consensus is the iPad is the clear favorite for piloting apps. The cell version is favored if you don't want to add an external GPS receiver. Both Foreflight and Garmin Pilot are excellent apps (I'm less fluent in the other choices). If you've grown up with Garmin units you're most familiar with a top map view. Foreflight doesn't offer one while Garmin Pilot does. Foreflight does have an aerial view that's nice but it only works when in cell range so only with a cell compatible tablet. If you think you want synthetic vision and/or attitude info expect to pay an additional $800 for either a Stratus or GDL39-3D ADS-B/ADHRS unit. Those are game changers when comparing a tablet app to GPS unit.]

I've been using an Ipad with Forflight and I really like the synthetic vision view, but I can't use user waypoints in it and the topo map view is not detailed enough to be of any use. I think I'm going to pull the plug in Feb rather than renew it.

How does the Garmin Pilot synthetic vision compare to the Forflight? I haven't bought ADS-B/ ADHRS and won't unless it is clearly worth doing. Do user waypoints show up in Garmin Pilot synthetic vision?

How can you tell if it has GPS capability?
I read the description and it doesn't mention that, even under misc special features.

If it does, however, that looks like a good way to get my feet wet on this tablet / app stuff.
$100 for a tablet, and the free Avare app.
I can always upgrade to a fancier device and better app(s) later.
I would kinda like an 8" tablet instead of a 7, though-- I imagine they're probably available on the "used, reconditioned" market also.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_3_8_0-5456.php

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...f&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=131548284996&rt=nc

Glenn

I sprang for the mini iPad a month ago and have it mounted over on the left side of my instrument panel, using one of the circular RAM mounting units and an arm that can be moved around a bit...until I bought the mini iPad this spot hosted my iPhone. Currently i have my Garmin 496 mounted using some adel clamps to the cabane in the midline of the airplane.
attachment.php

Anyone know of the correct RAM clamps that are needed to attach the mini iPad to the cabane just above the instrument panel? Steve Eaton, I think you showed me that you used something like that for your Garmin 796???

Randy

Attachments

• P7310051.JPG
    P7310051.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,993
I plan to set the tablet up to be a stand-alone device, don't want it to require another device to work.
Looks like the most popular combo's are Foreflight on an ipad, or Garmin Pilot on an ipad or android.
Anyone using (free) Avare & Android?

You want a Cellular capable ipad. It will have an internal GPS good to about 5 meters. GPS works without a cellular signal. That is what I use.

Add the Stratus 2 and the accuracy is 1 meter plus you get weather radar, AHARS info, synthetic vision, and ADS-B in.

I have backup via my Iphone and carry a spare mini on trips.

You want a Cellular capable ipad. It will have an internal GPS good to about 5 meters. GPS works without a cellular signal. That is what I use.

Add the Stratus 2 and the accuracy is 1 meter plus you get weather radar, AHARS info, synthetic vision, and ADS-B in.

5 meters works for me, I'm not that good that I would notice.

Glenn

No need to spend $500 on a cell capable ipad unless you want to spend more than needed. Any gps capable droid pad or phone and the free droid app Avare will do the job just as well and be much easier to use than an ipad. Forced to use ipad apps for work, apple is a mess compared to droid, I use Avare for VFR navigating in my cub, Apple doesnt get near it. Save the hundreds of dollars you could pay for an ipad an get a droid and spend the money you saved on a few tanks of gas and go fly

Heres Avare running on my 129$ nexus 7 inch pad, you can zoom in or out on the charts, this is zoomed out a bit on a WAC chart, but you can download via the app sectionals or ifr charts afd, lots of options and all free. The internal gps on the droid nexus 7 is very accurate.

Added a second shot of the nexus 7 and Avare app and sectional zoomed in

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 183
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I bought probably the most expensive Mini iPad with GPS and the max memory because the great thing about an iPad for airplane navigation is that it is not a One Trick Pony. I can use it for navigating in the car with Apple or Google maps and for other stuff especially on a trip. I am done with buying a $2000 - $4000 Aviation GPS that is used 50 - 65 hrs a year and can not be used for anything else.

I bought probably the most expensive Mini iPad with GPS and the max memory because the great thing about an iPad for airplane navigation is that it is not a One Trick Pony. I can use it for navigating in the car with Apple or Google maps and for other stuff especially on a trip. I am done with buying a $2000 - $4000 Aviation GPS that is used 50 - 65 hrs a year and can not be used for anything else.
I totally agree!

But the $100 android pad will do the same thing. I'm typing this on mine

Glenn

No need to spend $500 on a cell capable ipad unless you want to spend more than needed. Any gps capable droid pad or phone and the free droid app Avare will do the job just as well ...... Save the hundreds of dollars you could pay for an ipad an get a droid and spend the money you saved on a few tanks of gas and go fly.

This is what I'm thinking.
If and when I need more device, or more app, I can always upgrade, but for now I'm sure this'll work just fine.

Anyone know of the correct RAM clamps that are needed to attach the mini iPad to the cabane just above the instrument panel? Steve Eaton, I think you showed me that you used something like that for your Garmin 796???

Randy

Randy, its call a RAM Tough Claw Yoke Mount, Google that and they are everywhere for $20-30. Clamp that on the v brace and use the extension to clamp to the back of your unit mount. I think my extension (on the back of the 796) is 3"... Just wanted to clarify that..... Works great and has never moved.

another shot of Avare on a droid Moto X phone sometimes easier just to wip the phone out when you're flying and use it, but this screenshot is while I'm driving

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-05-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-05-01.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 181
  • Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-21-18.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-21-18.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 207
  • Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-21-03.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-21-03.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
  • Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-20-44.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-05-15-20-44.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Foreflight for me

I've been navigating with Garmin handheld GPS's for a long time-- first a Pilot 3 for about 10 years and about 7 years ago switched to a 196. I just updated the database last summer so it's good to go, still works fine and I'm happy with it. But I've been thinking about modernizing and getting a 7 or 8" mini-tablet and some sort of sectional / moving map GPS app.
How about some (brief) pireps on which tablet & app you use (or have used), and what you like or dislike about it.

Am only familiar with Foreflight's Stratus system I use it with an Iphone 6+ as the primary nav tool, and with an Ipad Mini as a moving map backup. For the Ipad you either have to upgrade to a cell phone model or get the Stratus gps receiver. The Iphone works independent of the stratus but lacks some of the functionality foreflight lends to the Ipad. I opted for the Stratus II model with the ADSB available in limited areas.
The Stratus II gives a very effective AH display on the Ipad, but not the Iphone. Limitations in a tailwheel are that the stratus needs to be synced before you start moving, and will therefore show level flight in the 3 point attitude. reregistering in flight has been a hit or miss effort.
I liked the idea of having a fallback attitude indicator as the J5 is strictly VFR, and if I did get caught out, I would really like a gps with attitude superimposed on it to get down or up out of trouble.

Back