• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-3 to OSH 2022 Looking for a place to camp in Northern Indiana

Hi Everyone, Flying my J-3 from our farm in Maryland out to OSH on Saturday. Looking for a strip to camp out at under the wing Saturday night in North/Mid Indiana. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 7.55.47 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 7.55.47 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 7.55.47 PM.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 82
Sailor Lee,
It's just off the west side of your map, but Starke County Airport (KOXI) is close to your indicated route. I've seen tent campers on the grass between the "big" hanger and airport office, on the east side of the ramp next to the covered picnic table. Call Pam (Airport Manager) at 574-772-5001 and ask. You can land on the 3,000+ ft grass runway and taxi to the office. Probably some of the lowest price avgas around. 24/7 with credit card. I don't think they have MoGas anymore. 24 hour access to the bathroom too! Ask Pam about a courtesy car.

Jim

KOXI is awesome! Have camped there a few times. Keep an eye out for the EMS helicopters operating there as well. The crews have been very courteous when I’ve been there.

Amy,
What did you think of the 3,085 ft x 145 ft mowed/maintained grass runway? It takes airport management dedicated to supporting small aircraft to keep something like that going these days. They've also managed to keep hangar rent and the price of gas reasonable. I highly recommend it to anyone traveling through the region.

Jim

Back