• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The last one and the next one

Two pictures of the Performance STOL flaps install progress.

Keller flaps powder coated doublers.jpgTrial fit Keller flaps.jpg
The first picture shows the drilled false spar reinforcement plates powder coated. The other picture is trial fit of the flap before painting.

Attachments

• Keller flaps powder coated doublers.jpg
    Keller flaps powder coated doublers.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 375
  • Trial fit Keller flaps.jpg
    Trial fit Keller flaps.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 377
BF3F4B6A-F1D3-44B1-9CB8-6843A3FBD5AF.jpeg8A784252-99A3-48F2-8DAC-78F31D13B678.jpeg
The next one is close. Weighed yesterday and for what it is I’m pleased. Lycoming YIO-390 Thunderbolt engine from the experimental shop swinging 78” 3 blade ground adjustable Whirlwind prop. Stretched 2’ wide body fuselage on 8” extended gear, ACME Aero front and rear shocks on 35” tires and baby bush wheel. SQ 2 ailerons with 17” deep Keller flaps, slatted Javron wing with Jay’s aluminum lift struts. Wayne Mackey built the landing gear, 5” lowered engine mount, cowling and did the fuselage modifications and basic FWF install. Entertaining guesses as to the weight for fun. Will post the numbers in a few days.

Attachments

• BF3F4B6A-F1D3-44B1-9CB8-6843A3FBD5AF.jpeg
    BF3F4B6A-F1D3-44B1-9CB8-6843A3FBD5AF.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 8A784252-99A3-48F2-8DAC-78F31D13B678.jpeg
    8A784252-99A3-48F2-8DAC-78F31D13B678.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 280
Ok, I'll bite first. That's a tough one to guess. Going with 1225lbs. This is going to be fun!

Its Lycoming's code for non-certified. Thunderbolt indicates it came from Lycoming's custom shop. Ported, polished, balanced, and painted the customer's chosen color(s).

Last edited:
Two pictures of the Performance STOL flaps install progress.

View attachment 34660View attachment 34661
The first picture shows the drilled false spar reinforcement plates powder coated. The other picture is trial fit of the flap before painting.

I Recently purchased Airframes Performance flaps, was wondering if painting is most common and is Powdercoating an option? I have heard powdercoating is not recommended?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Make sure you fit the doublers before painting. I thought they would fit. Boy was I wrong.

I had to massage the doublers quite a bit to get them to fit the false spars so good advice. I did not use any pull rivets provided either preferring to cut the fabric and use driven rivets and patch the fabric. It will be much better later if you ever have to work on the false spar again as getting the cherry rivets out is going to destroy the false spar.

I've got 1335 on the weight. Looks like a lot of airplane and a big engine. Should be a performer

8DEAC2D9-17FD-4AD7-9191-83BDAF5451D0.jpeg
This will give you an idea of the size. I need a ladder to work on the engine and behind the panel now that the training wheels are off. It is a Monster. Some close guesses so far on the upper end.

Attachments

• 8DEAC2D9-17FD-4AD7-9191-83BDAF5451D0.jpeg
    8DEAC2D9-17FD-4AD7-9191-83BDAF5451D0.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 292
I did not use any pull rivets provided either preferring to cut the fabric and use driven rivets and patch the fabric. It will be much better later if you ever have to work on the false spar again as getting the cherry rivets out is going to destroy the false spar.
Another good reason to not use pull rivets in this location in the prop blast area, is their susceptibility to working loose. High vibration locations makes for loose pop rivets. Better to use regular driven rivets or screws and nuts.

That will be a workhorse. Bet it will be quite the performer. It will be a sheep hunters dream.

Bill

OK, time to spill the beans, as weighed on 35" tires and the bigger Piatt/Firman cargo pod the Monster Cub weighs 1,355. My goal was to be under 1,300 on 31" tires and I came close, with the cargo pod off and on 31" tires it is 1,300.

Thanks for the Lighter weight guesses, it gives something to shoot for next time and the heavy guesses made me feel good.
Cheers;
Bob

Last edited:
Your lighter than mine! When I park my plane next to a standard Cub on 31s it's easy to understand where the 200# is. These are big Cubs. Big, useful Cubs. Wait til you lay the whip to that motor. You're going to be smiling for a long time. I look forward to seeing it in person. Cool airplane, cool journey. Congratulations!

Back