• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Boats in the cub

exhaust

What are you guys using for inflatables or rafts that pack down small enough to fly with a passenger? I’ve got a raft but I don’t think I could get a passenger in along with it. Cataracts? Packrafts?

I fly with a 9’ pack raft in my Cub quite a bit. Probably 10 times last year but it’s a tight fit for a pax. If you can arrange to have the back seater sit on the raft that may work best.

F08A2487-50D9-4116-B5B1-4CEAB55B0735.jpg

here’s mine strapped to a pack frame.

Attachments

• F08A2487-50D9-4116-B5B1-4CEAB55B0735.jpg
    F08A2487-50D9-4116-B5B1-4CEAB55B0735.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 184
We used Pack boats extensively, and used them hard: https://www.pakboats.com/

They fold up and re assemble fast, they’re light and tough. With the Baumann floats on a Husky, one ten footer fit in each float locker.

Super tough little boats.

MTV

I use a packraft - specifically an older model Alpacka Denali Llama. I can easily carry two packrafts, paddles, along with overnight camping gear and a passenger, though I do have a belly pod.

I’m a motor guy. I had a 10’ air floor inflatable with a hard transom. 65#. Rated for 10hp but my 15 is the same size and weight so.... I miss that boat. Still have the motor. Maybe it’s time to go shopping!

I have an older (now discontinued) Dave Scadden Switch-Blade. It's American made and uses a rigid framed with low profile inflatable pontoons and has a folding plastic bass seat. It's really comfortable and tracks fairly well on flat water plus it will mostly fit in my cargo pod and weighs 44# with the carbon fiber oars.

No simple answer, and not one boat.

I had an inflatable floor zodiac tender years ago, was light and did great. Flood took it away. It would roll up and fit in the floor, but a passenger would need to sit on it as part of the seat, (Atlee extended baggage). It was light enough I could move it myself even with the back issues I had at the time.

My replacement was a European made inflatable canoe, but I don't recall the brand... I will look when I get to the shop.

It is about 50 pounds, can hold three people, or one guy and a moose, (just unless it is a small moose). It rolls into a mid sized pack, slightly smaller than a military duffle bag.

If paddling across flat water, she has terrible steering, tends to dart left and right. But in the river is has enough rocker to keep out of the sweepers.

My mission is to kill moose, then be able to pack the boat to the moose, and drift back to the plane. It works great. I took it duck hunting, and can shoot out of it without it rocking bad and sending me and guns to the bottom.

The other advantage is that it's material is heavy duty, and does not puncture easily, but if I ever need to, can be patched.

My buddy has an Alpaca. Loves it, plays all the time in rivers around Anchorage and Fairbanks. He has a spare to carry gear when they go hunting...

I have two INNOVA inflatable semi-rigid kayaks. (Swing II model)
They weigh about 30 pounds each. They are two person kayaks. One will fit in the cargo bay of a PA-18.

Attachments

• 2016-01-20 012 (1280x678).jpg
    2016-01-20 012 (1280x678).jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 167
https://www.diypackraft.com/diy-packraft-overview/# No experience with this company but I like the idea. If you are willing to do the work it brings packraft cost way down. Also opens up custom options. You can design your own cub special raft.

That is a super interesting concept! I have been wanting to upgrade my packraft to one with an extended back, but the cost has given me pause. This looks like an intriguing option!

This is great info guys
I’ve been eyeballing a inflatable canoe of sorts. Most are in the 40lb range. Weight isn’t as big a issue as the bulk is. Using it as part of the seat is good thinking as well. I’d rather stick with a boat that will hold two as usually it will be the wife with me. Rather she not have to paddle her own pack raft around. Gonna look into some of these options mentioned here.

Love it. Apparently the Link in Linkanoe was the same guy from the Link flight simulator. Very cool example of old school creativity.

What's your mission? Floating around in a pond with a fly rod? Down river expedition? Packing moose meat? Lots of different options depending on what you want to do.

Anyone use a stealthcraft boat (probably in a 4 place airplane) to flyfish out of? Looking for a stable “drift boat” type machine for two people that work in my 180 to explore rivers in the western continental US.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Pack raft of some flavor for any “hike to fish mission”, such as the initial poster stated. Alpacka to Sevylor. Lotsa choices for whatever budget or taste.

Aire makes several inflatable “canoe/kayak” designs. I have a 13’ light version , the “Tomcat”. about 50 lbs. It is way beefier and more capable and paddles straighter than a packraft and I have put a 2.5 horse Merc on it with a light frame.

For the 185, I have a folding 7’ dinghy that weighs about 30 pounds. It will plane with a 3 horse Merc at 14 knots. “Fliptail” https://www.woodenwidget.com/fliptail.htm

Also, in the 180, I have hauled a 9’ inflatable Achilles and used the 3 horse Merc. but could run a 9.9 and get some speed.

Attachments

• 0BF1512D-AA64-40C7-B693-D35E03788C9E.jpeg
    0BF1512D-AA64-40C7-B693-D35E03788C9E.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Back