• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 10-OCT-15
Time: 03:40:00Z
Regis#: N3341M
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA12
Event Type: Incident
Highest Injury: None
Aircraft Missing:
Damage: Minor
State: Alaska
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT DURING FLIGHT, PART OF THE PROPELLER SEPARATED AND FORCE LANDED, 16 MILES FROM ILIAMNA, ALASKA

That sounds scary. If anyone is around that can tell us what type of prop, engine size, and if it had previous damage?

WASILLA — Two men had to be rescued on Saturday after the small plane they were in flipped at a landing strip neat Skwentna.

Alaska State Troopers said Davis Dunlap, 23, of Palmer, texted a family member via spot locator that he and another male passenger were unhurt when the 1946 Aeornca Champion Dunlap was piloting overturned and came to rest on its wings. Dunlap said he had no survival gear for an overnight stay and were in a foot of snow. He requested a rescue.

The Rescue Coordination Center on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson was notified and flew to the area to pick up both men. They were flown to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center, where both denied any injuries.

The wreck was the second Dunlap has been involved in since July 2014. According to a Frontiersman account from the time, he was treated for minor injuries when a 1956 Aeornoca Champ piloted by Russell Dunlap, 57, crash-landed at Sky Ranch near Palmer.

The cause of the most recent mishap is under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board.

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 08-NOV-15
Time: 01:29:00Z
Regis#: N3132E
Aircraft Make: AERONCA
Aircraft Model: 7BCM
Aircraft Missing:
Damage: Unknown
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT FLIPPED OVER INTO A SNOWBANK AND WAS RESCUED BY THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD HELICOPTER, 8 MILES FROM SKWENTNA, ALASKA

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 03-NOV-15
Time: 18:00:00Z
Regis#: N9029Y
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: Accident
Aircraft Missing:
Damage: Destroyed
State: Michigan
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES SHORT OF THE AIRPORT, TECUMSEH, MI

WASILLA — Two men had to be rescued on Saturday after the small plane they were in flipped at a landing strip neat Skwentna.

Alaska State Troopers said Davis Dunlap, 23, of Palmer, texted a family member via spot locator that he and another male passenger were unhurt when the 1946 Aeornca Champion Dunlap was piloting overturned and came to rest on its wings. Dunlap said he had no survival gear for an overnight stay and were in a foot of snow. He requested a rescue.

The Rescue Coordination Center on Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson was notified and flew to the area to pick up both men. They were flown to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center, where both denied any injuries.

The wreck was the second Dunlap has been involved in since July 2014. According to a Frontiersman account from the time, he was treated for minor injuries when a 1956 Aeornoca Champ piloted by Russell Dunlap, 57, crash-landed at Sky Ranch near Palmer.

The cause of the most recent mishap is under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board.

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 08-NOV-15
Time: 01:29:00Z
Regis#: N3132E
Aircraft Make: AERONCA
Aircraft Model: 7BCM
Aircraft Missing:
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT FLIPPED OVER INTO A SNOWBANK AND WAS RESCUED BY THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD HELICOPTER, 8 MILES FROM SKWENTNA, ALASKA

So, now we're substituting a SPOT locator for survival gear?????

MTV

So, now we're substituting a SPOT locator for survival gear?????

MTV

It's been happening since the first SPOT came out and it happens way too often. These people that push the button just for a ride back to a warm fire are going to screw up a good thing we have here in Alaska. That is rescue without a giant bill. I know none of us are perfect but we all need to remind ourselves what happened to Helo 1 and make sure it's life or death (not discomfort) when we push the button.

Jerry

What Scooter said...

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 17-NOV-15
Time: 02:05:00Z
Regis#: N93DG
Aircraft Make: DE HAVILLAND
Aircraft Model: DHC2
Aircraft Missing:
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT LANDED ON A FROZEN LAKE, DURING TAXI BROKE THROUGH THE ICE AND BECAME PARTIALLY SUBMERGED, SOCKEYE LAKE, 12 MILES FROM TALKEETNA, ALASKA

What time of day does it get dark there now? Full moon or none? Not withstanding any possible weather, it sounds as though he was lost or certainly unsure of his location. The time line doesn't add up. If he left Wasilla at 9:11, why would he be texting that he couldn't land at Nome at 9:11?

The pilot left Wasilla on Sunday, at approximately 9:11 p.m, according to NTSB. And the pilot's last communication occurred around 10:30 p.m., according to AST. "He texted his fiancee at 9:11 p.m. that he could not land due to weather," Grainger's last communication came at 10:30 p.m., according to troopers. Residents in Nome told authorities they heard and saw the plane flying over the community on Sunday night.

I can easily see an inexperienced night flyer becoming very confused over that route of flight. Not much in the way of ground lights.

I don't believe he was lost. He made more then one attempt to land at City field in the fog. Everyone in town heard him circling around trying to get in before he headed east down the coast where he finally lost it for some reason. Lots of unanswered questions at this point. City Field is not maintained in the winter and is what we use for our ski strip. He was on wheels, it was fogy dark and the field is not lighted. The main field is lighted and large. He made no attempt to land there. He made no radio contact with flight service. Several local pilots tried contacting him on hand held radios when they heard him buzzing town trying to get in. He made no contact with them either. He has been to Nome before. Several pilots remember seeing that 172 at City Field in the summer. That's the facts as I know them here in Nome. Prayers for his family and friends.

That was a C-172 XP,,,,, The weather certainly was becoming worse as the night went along...

0611:53N 50.25Freezing FogVV002-6-986%-18NA30.521033.6
0610:53N 510.00OvercastOVC002-10-1386%-22NA30.521033.6
0609:53N 30.50Freezing FogVV002-9-1287%NANA30.511033.4
0608:53NE 30.15Freezing FogVV002-5-81-1087%NANA30.501032.9
0607:53Calm0.25Freezing FogVV002-6-891%NANA30.511033.0
0606:53Calm0.25Light Snow Freezing FogVV002-9-1191%NANA30.501032.9
0605:53N 50.25Light Snow Freezing FogVV002-5-791%-16NA30.491032.5
0604:53N 64.00Light Snow Fog/MistOVC003-2-491%-14NA30.491032.6
0603:53N 59.00OvercastOVC0031-287%-9NA30.491032.6
0602:53N 510.00OvercastOVC0041-21-887%-9NA30.491032.5
0601:53N 610.00OvercastOVC005-1-3

The pilot was motivated to go to an airport in Nome at night under a ~ half moon. More will be revealed in time. When you get to the end of the rope there's not much left.

GAP

Remember a couple of years ago a C-180 crashed in New Hampshire and the whole thing was caught on video? Kinda went viral for a while? Looked exactly like a seat rail failure but the NTSB quickly said the seat and rails were intact? Here's the final report. Pilot and passenger were both medicated. Apparently impaired enough not to recognize a crazy climb angle and subsequent stall. Wow.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...ID=20140901X20808&AKey=1&RType=Final&IType=FA

I landed right behind them and was subsequently contacted by the FAA and provided a statement. The thing that stood out was that he was a local pilot for decades, yet when he first called in on the CTAF he stated he was entering left downwind for Runway 22. I called entering downwind behind him for runway 20, which was correct. His next calls simply stated landing south... he probably had landed there hundreds of times through the years.

Don't ever underestimate the effects of diphenhydramine when flying and it's half life lasts days!

It's not FAA over reaction. I know first-hand from a very bad experience a few years ago that it does not mix with Flying. I had never noticed anything while driving but even at a fractional dose (let alone a clinical levels like is mentioned in the report) there can be a dramatic impairment acceleration caused by the rapid altitude change at take off and climb out. As for me, it won't ever happen again because I haven't ever taken it again and won't as long as I'm flying and that includes all the various 'PM' sleep aids on the market which include it.

Please be safe, this is a very real but easily avoidable risk that I hope the new FAA med training includes.

Last edited:
The official guidelines from the FAA regarding time from taking diphenhydramine (benadryl) to flight: 60 hours.

rsc

Another PA-12 maiden flight after rebuild accident.
Sad deal. Will be interesting to see if it is controls hooked up backwards or engine problem or????? Thought maybe it was my old 12 that is close by but it's not.

Sad deal. Will be interesting to see if it is controls hooked up backwards or engine problem or????? Thought maybe it was my old 12 that is close by but it's not.

that was my first thought, elevator backwards, or trim.... both easy to do.... and Easy to check for before first flight... always worry about those 2....

Back