• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

Thank You Monte, I'll have to get up there. It's been a good week. I got to take My wife Kimmie around the patch for the first time and that was great fun. Long overdue! Her Grandfather was an aviator, Cessna Dealer, and flight school owner so many of her early days were spent right in the very hangar I went to ground school in. She has fond memory's working the front desk with her grandmother and her cat named Skycat. I love flying with my girl.

Also our great friend Bill Rusk had an OKC overnight yesterday and was able to come down an put my Cub through the paces. I'm always up for advice when he comes. The greatest thing first though is the he said it is rigged very straight. I guess I got lucky there though. Still feels good to hear.. He gave me of small list of things that I can do to enhance the systems. Gap Seals, Then little stuff, like putting plugs in the tops of the stick for the visuall appearance. The VG's are working good it doesn't stall power off, it just sinks straight and level. It was really a great visit. Thank You for all the Friendship, advice, and knowledge you share with us Bill. I'll try to post a picture or two on here later.

Thats the update, I hope your week is good! Greg

Folks

I had a great opportunity to fly Greg's Cub, and I can tell you with no reservation that it flies outstanding. Greg has built a really nice cub that will do everything my cub will do and looks very nice for probably one third the cost. I was quite impressed with the way it flies. Power off stalls are a total non-event, there is no nose break it all, the airplane just starts to sink. Aileron control deep into the stall is excellent and the airplane is rigged beautifully. It flies hands off, and stalls straight ahead in all circumstances. I spun it left and right and recoveries are within 1/4 of a turn to the left. I could not consistently get it to spin to the right. It just self recovers into a high-speed spiral. I am very proud of the work Greg did to build this airplane and I look forward to flying with him in the future on some Idaho or Alaska adventures.

Great job Greg, you built a great flying, and great looking, airplane.

Bill

Folks

I had a great opportunity to fly Greg's Cub, and I can tell you with no reservation that it flies outstanding. Greg has built a really nice cub that will do everything my cub will do and looks very nice for probably one third the cost. I was quite impressed with the way it flies. Power off stalls are a total non-event, there is no nose break it all, the airplane just starts to sink. Aileron control deep into the stall is excellent and the airplane is rigged beautifully. It flies hands off, and stalls straight ahead in all circumstances. I spun it left and right and recoveries are within 1/4 of a turn to the left. I could not consistently get it to spin to the right. It just self recovers into a high-speed spiral. I am very proud of the work Greg did to build this airplane and I look forward to flying with him in the future on some Idaho or Alaska adventures.

Great job Greg, you built a great flying, and great looking, airplane.

Bill

Out of interest, what speed are you using for the spin entry Bill?

Thanks,
Andrew.

I could not consistently get it to spin to the right. It just self recovers into a high-speed spiral.
Bill, Do you know what the CG was when you were doing the spins? Your description suggests that you were somewhat forward of the rear limit. Nice job Greg, enjoy!

IMG_1277.JPG

Guys, I'm at work. This is a W/B I had on my phone. It's changed a bit. This one is a work up of my heaviest friend. It gives an idea of my W/B. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 179
Thanks Greg, That explains Bill's spiral to the right if he was flying solo. Full up elevator does not have the authority to raise the leading edge of the wing to a high enough angle of attack to get a complete stall which is required to get a clean spin. Had the loaded CG been as your W&B sheet shows, the spins would have not reverted to a steep spiral.

Andrew and Pete

Entry speed is tough to tell (and somewhat irrelevant) as the pitot input is way off at the high AOA required for entry. No flap power on stalls were at 29 indicated, full flap power on it was indicating 23 to 24 mph but I am confident that is lower than actual, just because the airflow into the pitot tube is tangental at that AOA. In order to get it to spin (and pretty much any Cub with VG's) you must do a power on stall with the nose 20 to 30 degrees above the horizon. Just prior to the break aggressively apply full rudder in the direction you want to spin. It will often tuck under a little in the first half of rotation, then the nose will come up on the second half of the first rotation. I usually like to see at least 3 turns to allow the spin to stabilize a little, and to make sure it does not self recover as Greg's did when going right, before I initiate recovery.
Pete - you are right, and I was aware of the CG when doing the test. I calculated it to be about 12.1" with just me solo, so certainly toward the front end of the range. It preformed pretty much exactly as expected, and as you noted, with that CG. If he gap seals the elevator, I believe I could get the right spin, at the same CG. Or without the gap seals a further aft CG would also probably allow the elevator to drive the wing to a high enough AOA to get the spin. He is running out of elevator in the flare, as you would expect without the gap seals, and at that CG. It flares great if you get behind the power curve and drive it in with power, again just as you would expect. All in all a very predictable Cub that flies very well and does exactly what you expect it to. No surprises at all.

Hope this helps

Bill

Andrew and Pete

Entry speed is tough to tell (and somewhat irrelevant) as the pitot input is way off at the high AOA required for entry. No flap power on stalls were at 29 indicated, full flap power on it was indicating 23 to 24 mph but I am confident that is lower than actual, just because the airflow into the pitot tube is tangental at that AOA. In order to get it to spin (and pretty much any Cub with VG's) you must do a power on stall with the nose 20 to 30 degrees above the horizon. Just prior to the break aggressively apply full rudder in the direction you want to spin. It will often tuck under a little in the first half of rotation, then the nose will come up on the second half of the first rotation. I usually like to see at least 3 turns to allow the spin to stabilize a little, and to make sure it does not self recover as Greg's did when going right, before I initiate recovery.
Pete - you are right, and I was aware of the CG when doing the test. I calculated it to be about 12.1" with just me solo, so certainly toward the front end of the range. It preformed pretty much exactly as expected, and as you noted, with that CG. If he gap seals the elevator, I believe I could get the right spin, at the same CG. Or without the gap seals a further aft CG would also probably allow the elevator to drive the wing to a high enough AOA to get the spin. He is running out of elevator in the flare, as you would expect without the gap seals, and at that CG. It flares great if you get behind the power curve and drive it in with power, again just as you would expect. All in all a very predictable Cub that flies very well and does exactly what you expect it to. No surprises at all.

Hope this helps

Bill

All good info.

Stock (certified) Cub, O-320, no VG's, I found it would do the same to the right if the spin was entered from a non-accelerated level flight stall. Normally I would enter the spin at 60 mph (left or right) with a little power, and then it would properly enter the spin and stay there. The spin could be entered to the left from a non-accelerated level flight stall, but it all seemed like hard work.

Andrew.

Andrew

I agree it does take a bit of work to get them to spin. It is much easier to get non-VG's Cubs to spin. In some cases I have not been able to get a Cub with VG's to spin even with a VERY aggressive entry.

Bill

Thank You Cubdriver218, I have been pondering your suggestion. I think I might try to get some Gaffers tape ordered. I looked on line. This all new to me. I am on a budget. I might some time buy the rubber seals. Gaffers Tape, what width do you recommend? , Are all gaffers tapes created alike, or should I order it from a certain company to get the quality I will need. Thank You. Greg

Greg, just try some masking or electrical tape to determine if you really need to close those gaps. Unless you are operating at the limits of the elevators effectiveness, you may find that you do not need any gap seal at all.

Friends, I havnt posted in a while. Just a quick update. I have 62 hours on my Cub now. I'm about to do the second oil change on my 67 smoh with about a 5 year pickle before that.. "Guessing a bit there" on the originally VIO 360. I will send the sample off to be tested. I'll let you know the findings there. I am excited to try an hit the Cookson Airport Breakfast flyin on Lake Tenkiller in April and make a possible push to get to Johnson Creek in June... All things going right. The Cub is everything I had dreamed of, just a joy to fly. It's what I wanted to fly and I Am. I hope to log a bunch of hours and see many of you this summer. Have a great weekend, Greg

IMG_0092[2529].PNG
Friends, This is my oil report. In a small attempt to give back to all of you who have helped me, I'm sharing this information with you. If there are those out there that have knowledge in this area and would like to post your thoughts they would be welcome. Have a good weekend, Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0092[2529].PNG
    IMG_0092[2529].PNG
    345.6 KB · Views: 381
IMG_1139.jpgIMG_1140.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1142.JPG

Johnson Creek Idaho! The Journey is Complete! I'm hoping the continuing journey will reap many great memories with family and You friends.

Attachments

• IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 1,225
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,464
  • IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 1,281
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
With a little Utah on the way.

493c9b999cf61a08682a2a0f6d9f6816.jpg

0f2d537d835e8fc2419824d265cbb628.jpg

Can't forget the Okie fire starter. More one use for an air mattress inflator.

4df472596e706e2948701363c36a3aca.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

This is just sooo cool. What a great cap to an awesome journey. Many folks said he could not do it, that he would never finish the build. Lack of knowledge and lack of resources. He gained the knowledge and scrounged the resources!
He built his dream and made it safely to Idaho and back. Pure desire, and willpower got him there.

Greg, I am so proud of you buddy. Congratulations. YOU DID IT. Pat yourself on the back my friend. You deserve it. Thanks to your lovely wife and family for their support too. Awesome job guys!!

Bill

Good Morning Friends, Its been a while since I have posted. Just a brief update on the Cub. I have been pretty busy with work and family things this Summer. Let my Cub get out of Annual by a couple of days. I was planning to pay a service to do the 3rd annual just to get a different set of eyes on her. So decided to move it up a year, since I was running late on the annual. I had my flight service Chickasha Wings do the Annual. I was pleased to get the report of "A very sound aircraft". I had one squawk a pin hole in my exhaust pipe. I was pretty pleased. I have just been flying local this Summer, hoping to fly allot in the Fall. I hope to hit some good fly-ins next Summer too. That's the update. Have a great week. Greg

Update

Friends, Just and Update. Almost Three Years since Completion of my Project. I am on 31” thanks to a friend Gabriel selling me an unused single he had in his hangar as an extra. I then contacted my friend Cory with the Great Folks At Airframes Alaska, Alaskan Bushwheels to purchase the 2nd. I’ve been dreaming about getting some the whole time. I just kept it out there in the future. Gabriel said You gotta be on 31”. I knew that. He offered me a great price, grateful for that. So I found a way to make it happen. If I may boast it makes a plane look sexy. Looking forward to taking My Kimmie to a Cub gathering soon. That’s the update. Have A Great Week Friends.
plane pic 1.jpegplane pic 2.jpegplane pic 3.jpegplane pic 4.jpegplane pic 5.jpeg

Attachments

• plane pic 1.jpeg
    plane pic 1.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 208
  • plane pic 2.jpeg
    plane pic 2.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 190
  • plane pic 3.jpeg
    plane pic 3.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 199
  • plane pic 4.jpeg
    plane pic 4.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 166
  • plane pic 5.jpeg
    plane pic 5.jpeg
    253.4 KB · Views: 171
Yes it worked very well. Made it easy to mount. I was ready for some frustration but it pulled the rim halves right together. Just had to get the blocks small enough to start the threads.

Back