• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stabilizer/Elevator rigging

giangab

Hello friends.
The restoration of my PA18-95 is short from being completed.
I need help again.
I could not find the rigging instructions relevant to the cable/spring connecting the elevator upper horn to the stabilizer joke.
IMG_5269.JPG
The spring pulls the elevator up, more when the trim is full nose down, and less when the trim is full nose up.
I understand this device is for two purposes:
1. Center the joke in level flight with trim somewhat neutral
2. Allow controlling the elevator in case of elevator control cable failure
Thanks for helping.
Ciao
Gian

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5269.JPG
    IMG_5269.JPG
    624.8 KB · Views: 680
I know absolutely nothing about that, except if it was mine I would figure out a way to get that spring to mess with my elevators less. I was told its only purpose was to certify the aircraft in a hands-off terminal velocity dive. I occasionally fly a Cub with a really loose spring, and it is a delight! I don't have to trim in the pattern.

I know absolutely nothing about that, except if it was mine I would figure out a way to get that spring to mess with my elevators less. I was told its only purpose was to certify the aircraft in a hands-off terminal velocity dive. I occasionally fly a Cub with a really loose spring, and it is a delight! I don't have to trim in the pattern.

I fly one without a spring and trim 11 turns ( double pully , no flaps ) between cruise and landing. I'm hoping a spring will help me to trim less, like my Pa11 was.
Most guys who cut there teeth on a J3 don't like the spring

Glenn

Last edited:
that cable and spring were only relevant to the plane as it weighed when it left the factory.... you can play with cable length and spring size to get the personality of your plane to be nice... heavy cubs just remove it....

Hi all, thanks for taking your time and replying to my question.
So for it is understood, but I nelieve there should be a “basic” or standard calibration of the spring,or possibly a range.
Surely the cable-spring device should never be loose and be in tension along the full trim excursuon.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

The cable length and spring tension need no adjusting. Install it and go. There is nothing to adjust. It is there to meet the pitch stability tests for certification. Yes it gets loose and tight depending on the trim setting.

Thanks.
I have installed the one that was on the plane before restoration, but it appears (to me) to be very tight, I mean with trim neutral on the ground the stabilizer stays up some 10 degrees and the stick is quite hard to push forward. Possibly someone has changed the original spring with a tough one.
Any suggestion to check this to reflect the design - factory condition?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5285.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG
    739.4 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_5297.JPG
    IMG_5297.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5298.JPG
    IMG_5298.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_5301.JPG
    IMG_5301.JPG
    683.3 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5304.JPG
    649.2 KB · Views: 263
Pretty sure there are 2 different springs. One for Pa11 and Pa18-95 and one for Lyc powered 18s?

Glenn

Then ther should be a specification for each of them: anyone knows?
Grazie

The spring is part number 10940-02 and the cable number is 40123-78. The cable is 21 3/4 inches in length from end to end.

That is a home made cable. My parts catalog calls out calls out 40123-66 for the "95".

Attachments

• 40123-1976.pdf
    475.4 KB · Views: 371
Your jack screw yoke is mounted upside down from the one in your picture. Might make a difference in spring tension at up or down trim if spring cable is not in center of yoke travel.

Thanks to all. I have checked the drawing suggested by Steve 40123/66 and Cubdriver2 40123/78, but I can't figure the discussed "elevator spring for PA18/95".
Thanks for furthwer help (I am ready for test flying and wish "no problems".

Thanks again, Gian

Spring takes the pressure off the stick as you add nose up trim.Made my cub much nicer to fly when slow.

The function of the spring (also called bungee) is clear.

I also understand that pilots have differen “tastes” regarding the strength of the spring: in this respect I would be pleased to know what would be the strength or force to pull the originally designed spring.

I cannot find such info in the mentioned drawing.

Thanks again.

Why not just purchase the spring from Univair and that way you know you will have the correct tension and length?

Back