• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Radio and transponder question

JeremyLee89

VA Ambassador - The RAF
FRIEND
VA
I’ve got 53 Supercub that I am planning on reworking the old radio set up to a newer Icom a220. So I’ll have a good radio plus intercom set up for it. Looking at adding a transponder set up so I can go into other airspaces and able to work in the ADS-B also.

Any suggestions on transponder and ADS-B?

Also any idea how to get static out of the radio while the engine is running?

Jeremy Lee
Supercub 1953

Trig TT22 transponder and TN70 ADS-B reciever and TY91 Com with built in intercom. Takes up little space, light and work great. Consolidate all the grounds and you should not have any ignition noise.

Steve, I've heard that the TY91 intercom is a bit weak. It sounds to me like you are happy with in a Cub type of environment. I ask because I like the radio and would rather install it, but am considering another because it "supposedly" has a better intercom.

Have had no complaints at all on the intercom. I install a switch to turn the VOX on and off along with push to talk buttons on the throttle panel so when the door is open they are used instead of the VOX breaking squelch all the time. When they said weak what did they mean?

Have had no complaints at all on the intercom. I install a switch to turn the VOX on and off along with push to talk buttons on the throttle panel so when the door is open they are used instead of the VOX breaking squelch all the time. When they said weak what did they mean?

That’s how I wired my trig. Works good enough for a cub that the door stays open all summer in. Plus do you really want to talk to your passenger all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The A220 is a 's4!??'y' radio. Save yourself a lot of headaches and use a better com.

ADS-B and transponder are about the same, not separate units. If you break it down, an ADS-B out system is a mode S transponder with a WAAS gps position piggybacked on the signal. I'm a big fan of NOT putting square radios in a Cub type panel as they were not designed for the trays. Go with the Becker AR6201 or Trig TY91 for a com and the TT22 for the ADS-B system. As Mr Pierce said, just add the TN70 GPS to the TT22 to turn it from a transponder to an ADS-B system. All of these units are designed to fit into the panel with no mounting tray.

I've never heard of a TY91 being weak. Show me a 'weak' one and I bet I can show you an improperly installed antenna.

As for the static on your radio, do some basic troubleshooting to find the source of the noise. Turn off the alternator field and check for noise. Then do your mag check and see if the noise goes away when you switch to one mag or the other. If you still have the noise, start pulling the circuit breakers one by one until the noise stops. Fix the source of the noise, don't try to mask it with filters.

Web

The A220 is a 's4!??'y' radio. Save yourself a lot of headaches and use a better com.

ADS-B and transponder are about the same, not separate units. If you break it down, an ADS-B out system is a mode S transponder with a WAAS gps position piggybacked on the signal. I'm a big fan of NOT putting square radios in a Cub type panel as they were not designed for the trays. Go with the Becker AR6201 or Trig TY91 for a com and the TT22 for the ADS-B system. As Mr Pierce said, just add the TN70 GPS to the TT22 to turn it from a transponder to an ADS-B system. All of these units are designed to fit into the panel with no mounting tray.

I've never heard of a TY91 being weak. Show me a 'weak' one and I bet I can show you an improperly installed antenna.

As for the static on your radio, do some basic troubleshooting to find the source of the noise. Turn off the alternator field and check for noise. Then do your mag check and see if the noise goes away when you switch to one mag or the other. If you still have the noise, start pulling the circuit breakers one by one until the noise stops. Fix the source of the noise, don't try to mask it with filters.

Web

I don’t have room on my small panel to fit a radio and such, I’ll have to mount them under the panel

Jeremy Lee

The Trigs take a 2 1/4" hole. Move and remove stuff if needed. I hate stuff between my legs in a Cub.

IMG_20190607_122847.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_122847.jpg
    IMG_20190607_122847.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2,946
I have the Trig, too. It is, without a doubt, the best built in intercom I've ever used, better than many stand alone units. Quite happy with it.

I don’t have room on my small panel to fit a radio and such, I’ll have to mount them under the panel

Jeremy Lee

You need to pull up some info on Trig and Becker products. They fit into the panel like a small instrument. Hanging equipment down below the panel is bad news for several reasons such as difficult maintenance and leg damage in a crash.

Web

Well, I'm an airline guy building a tandem seat Bearhawk Patrol. I haven't used an intercom since flying a Dash 8 in 97. ADF's and Loran were big deals when I was flying general aviation stuff. GPS & iPhones were from Star Trek. I'm unable to back up what "weak" meant when I concluded it, but it was from info gathered on line. The internet is always right....right????

You answered my main question in that communications are clear. I'm glad I did not commit to a Garmin 200. Your panel in post #8 is close to perfect

Steve,

I love your simple panel. Who makes the attitude-indicator pictured? Have you flown with it yet? Any experience to report?

Looks like an RC Allen? I have one, and two complaints - -

First, assuming that the plane is in three point attitude when the unit is turned on, it cannot be pre-set by the user to display the correct airplane pitch attitude. So when achieving level flight, the unit displays nose high. That can be synched (corrected) by simultaneously pressing the two buttons at the top of the instrument, but pitch attitude for level flight has to be verified first. That requires level flight in VMC, absent other reliable resources.

Second, and more importantly in my opinion, when making a coordinated turn then returning to level flight, the instrument displays a non-zero roll angle, which eventually (20 seconds?) corrects. My Dynon D1 does not do that. So if in IMC (rare, but sometimes), when rolling out from a turn, I trust the Dynon when the two disagree.

Last edited:
I installed a TY-91 in my Husky. Great transceiver. Since it is a "split" unit the TC90 control head is very shallow, so no issues with interfering with cross tubes or header tanks or the like. Also perfect for a Pitts, Champ etc. In my install I mounted the TY91 remote transceiver LRU in the aft fuselage. That also resulted in the antenna lead being simply routed from the rear of the aircraft to the wing root instead of having to snake behind the panel and up a corner pillar to the wing root. The Trig also allows for a second TC90 control head using the native TMAP interface meaning that tandem aircraft can have radio control from front and back. I didn't opt for that option. But it would be a real asset for instruction, especially in the likes of a Pitts S2B or Stearman etc... You can feel the quality of the Trig hardware from the time you open the box. Great stuff.

The TY91 transmits loud an clear for miles and the excellent side tone has me talkin' like Sully Sullenberger.

In my Trig TY-91 install I send RS232 frequency data from my Garmin aera 660. That allows me to tune the standby frequency on the TY-91 by simply touching my screen on the 660.

I opted to use an external intercom as the specifications and description of the TY91 built-in ICS discouraged it. I like stereo ICS with karaoke feature for both ATC and music. Karaoke mode means no interruption of cockpit conversation or music with incoming transmissions. I am glad to hear good results from the field with the built-in ICS function of the Trig

I am extremely pleased with my TY91. Although I have fallen in love with the Garmin GTR 200 or 200Bs. I have done a couple of installs (including Super Cub) and fly a Javron and RV8 with the remote version (GTR 20). It's hard to beat with 10W transmit, built-in stereo intercom with 3D audio for radio transmissions and passenger/pilot spacial positions and optional Bluetooth. Plus it has a native CAN bus interface that can connect with other Garmin equipment seamlessly.

Would I swap out my TY91 for a Garmin GTR 200? Not a chance. If starting from zero would I install a GTR 200 or 200B instead of the Trig? It would be overwhelmingly tempting. But the TY91, while slightly more expensive, would be a more pragmatic and practical choice for a simple bushplane.

I didn't see the RC Allen electric AI at first until I clicked on the photo to see the full panel. The aera 796 might also be interfaced to either a GDL 39 3D or GDL 5x series.

As for ADS-B out. I am a huge proponent of Mode C with UAT out and anonymous mode. Take that with the understanding that I am a grizzled laissez-faire West Texas dirt farmer.

Jim

Last edited:
The A220 is a 's4!??'y' radio. Save yourself a lot of headaches and use a better com......

I've heard that before. It's a shame.
Dunno how the A210 was, but I've installed an Icom A200 before (as have some friends) & we were all pleased with them.

The A200 was an okay radio and was an easy replacement for the Bendix KY-97A. After that they suck.

Web

Steve. As soon as that RCA horizon goes wonky on you (and it will), replace it with something else like a G5 or Aerovonix AV-30. The Air Tractor factory likes to deliver their new aircraft with the RCA units and they don't last half a season. We just ordered an 802 and specifically had the RCA deleted as part of the sales negotiation.

Jim

Why don't you just cut a new panel and get rid of a BUNCH of weight? I'd lose about four of those instruments.

Web

Jeremy,

That picture helps mucho.

I just did a similar retrofit to a 1955 PA-18A and we went with a Sandia STX 165 Mode C transponder with a Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B UAT out with anonymous switch. The Sandia STX-165 transponder is "all in one" and has a built-in altitude encoder so that really simplifies wiring and reduces the under the panel clutter. Just connect a static line directly to the transponder. It also has an optional OAT probe that allows the transponder screen to display OAT and density altitude. The STX 165 either fits into a 3-1/8" round instrument hole or a custom 1/2 3 ATI square cutout (panel punch loaner available free from Sandia). While our aircraft already had a King KY97A (under the panel mount) the same transponder/GDL combo described could be complimented by either a Trig TY91 or Garmin GTR 200(B) VHF transceiver, both of which have a built in intercom. Those modern built-in intercom functions also really simplify the installation and space requirements. In the case of our aircraft we are planning to switch the KY97A for a GTR 200B at next annual. Looking at your panel I might steer towards a Trig TY91. I am with Web about removing of all existing gyros and vacuum pump and/or venturis. You could replace them with one Aerovonics AV-20S mini EFIS, which is approved for type certificated aircraft as a NORSEE installation. That will save lots of weight and the AV-20S will add the safety of a modern attitude indicator with skid ball and other neat features built in. We put a AV-20S in yet another 50's vintage Super Cub back in April, Bluebear's 1952 PA-18A (along with a GTR com).

Jim

Last edited:
I’m wanting to do change up the panel but at the same time, it was granddads and dads plane and I’d love to keep it the same but I’d love to change it too. Another issue right now is money right now.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

If I do a panel upgrade. What would be the instruments that should go on there?

Edit: preferably no glass displays for main instruments.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
Minimum as per the Type Certificate are airspeed, altimeter, tach, oil pressure, oil temperature, and magnetic direction indicator.

The minimal approach would be to get rid of all except the required instruments and fit them to a new panel. This will still allow you room to keep your cable operated controls on the panel and may allow room for a com/intercom and transponder.

A more radical approach would be to install all required instruments in 2 1/4" size. Possibly installing a CGR-30P (all engine instruments in one hole). And still having room for Trig or Becker avionics. With some imagination, you can fit these into an original depth instrument panel.

Web

Just wiring in the Trig TY91 VHF Transceiver and Trig TT21 Mode S Transponder. Really could not say no to adding a Trig TN72 GPS unit which provides accurate position info for the ADS-B equipped Trig TT21 Mode S transponder. As an aside, the guys here still reckon on a separate intercom in a Cub so will be fitting that as it is a bit late if the Trig TY91 comes up short.

Perhaps getting old but I find poor intercoms very distracting when you are trying to do that pilot stuff.

Back