• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Avilution Unpanel

Long overdue and one of the concepts I used to build my panel. No reason to not have better sight lines outside. The idea that panels have to be full width and tall, or into your sight lines, is archaic.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Hmmm don't they mean "uni-panel" not "un-panel"? I guess it is both...

Just like the Tesla I drove recently. Only one display in the whole thing.

sj

not bad price especially since it comes with wiring harness... that was $$$ to get made, like half the price of this complete kit...

Long overdue and one of the concepts I used to build my panel. No reason to not have better sight lines outside. The idea that panels have to be full width and tall, or into your sight lines, is archaic.

Trix are for kids!

Glenn

Most of the planes we fly are "archaic."

Take away the "unipanel," all the steam gauges, even the panel itself and we still have a firewall, boot cowl and an engine cowl to look over/past. It would take an entire airframe re think to accomplish anything substantial.

The Double Ender comes to mind.

While I’m a fan of the double ender and the newer Ascender, it doesn’t take a complete cow and boot rethink to get better sight lines.
The further away something is from you the less it restricts visibility.
Cutaway the corners on your panel, install glass on your door, install boot cowl windows, and take a look at the world.
Little things really make quite a difference.

While I’m a fan of the double ender and the newer Ascender, it doesn’t take a complete cow and boot rethink to get better sight lines.
The further away something is from you the less it restricts visibility.
Cutaway the corners on your panel, install glass on your door, install boot cowl windows, and take a look at the world.
Little things really make quite a difference.

Or buy a thicker seat cushion. :lol:

Glenn

So, in this example, how do you control the aircraft when trying to do any inputs into the display?

So, in this example, how do you control the aircraft when trying to do any inputs into the display?

In one video I saw he held the stick in his left hand while touching the screen with his right. It was a moderate stretch for him.

In the second vid, at about 1:30, they're flying with Clecos holding the top of the panel in place, lol. Not structural but maybe not the best visual for an advertising piece.

Anyways.... The concept is just a continuation of what we've been seeing with items like the CGR-30 and the JPI 900 series; combining multiple functions within a single box. In this case they took instrument AND avionics items and combined them into a single display. Nifty package but each pilot needs to decide if it will work for them. Notice I said 'pilot'. I'd love to sell/install these by the bush basket full but the pilot needs to say 'yes' as he or she will be staring at this thing during each and every flight and right now, I still have operators that don't want digital engine instruments.

What stands out for me is the mount in the first vid. Side to side is nice for a display this size but the ability to adjust fore and aft is priceless. Did they show a tilt function? Important to adjust away glare spots.

One suggestion I'd have for the mount would be a 'button lock'. Grab the mount, squeezing the button, and move the display to where you need it. When you release pressure on the lock button, the display remains locked in place.

All in all, I like what they've produced and hope they keep developing it.

Web

I have one instrument in my panel. The G3X Touch is awesome once you get used to it. And while my panel is typical in size and shape it isn't the panel that reduces the view. The cowl does that. Even with the lower engine mount and lower cowl, which definitely improves the view to the front, the cowl is still visible. The instrument in the photos obstructs the view in the center. From the pilot position the view to 45* right is reduced from normal. How is that a good thing?

If you like a minimalist panel that is fully functional? Look at elpcub's G3X install using Vertical Power. That's the best minimal panel I've ever seen.

Last edited:
I have one instrument in my panel. The G3X Touch is awesome once you get used to it.

I have not researched what a fully functioning G3x costs compared to the up front cost of this Avilution product but I would shell out my money to Garmin or Dynon long before this new product.
Granted it is many years till I spec out the panel in the plane I am building and we all know there will be many new players in the glass panel market by then.
I do recognize this new product has more in it but it also means there is no way to fly should any element of this fails.

But the one big turnoff for me on this new product is the vertical orientation. They would need to rotate the display so it can be installed in front over your legs and in reach of the pilot. There is no way I would ever release my shoulder belts to reach the panel.

it also means there is no way to fly should any element of this fails.
...what exactly do you need to fly? What instruments are actually used from the back seat of a J-3 with a large passenger up front?

But the one big turnoff for me on this new product is the vertical orientation. They would need to rotate the display so it can be installed in front over your legs and in reach of the pilot. There is no way I would ever release my shoulder belts to reach the panel.
You've missed the point of this configuration. The technology can be installed using just about any panel/screen in any orientation. This is about removing the fixed panel leaving only a single screen that can be relocated as desired. If that's not an idea you like, that's fine.

I have an IPad in my plane with Foreflight & Stratus ADSB. One good thing about the IPad is you can always carry a 2nd one so if it fails u just switch it out.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 133
That thing has REAL good viz for a side by side, thanks to that panel.

I got rid of all my steam gauges a couple years ago, and now just use a GRT MINI X for my airspeed, ROC, and altititude, (along with my IFLY GPS I guess) and saved a bunch of weight and room on the panel. My only remaining round instrument is the HOBBS.

One "feature" this gives me, is, if in a hurry and not paying attention, performing a sloppy pre takeoff check in other words, I can take off, fly for several minutes, and THEN realize I didn't flip the switch for the MINI, so I have no clue as to whats going on flying wise except how it all feels and looks, and to my credit (almost making up for for the sloppy pre takeoff check), it is no big deal. This is excellent training and a good thing to do now and then, just like a for real dead stick landing. An unintended benefit of going all digital.

Can you get on supercub.org or order a pizza on that thing? As far as weight savings in the panel goes, i have the faa to thank for porking up my girl. If it weren't for them i would only have oil temp and pressure guges. No panel at all, just mount them to x brace. And navigation will only become an issue for me if they start puting road signs out west in any other language but english.

Is that "unpanel" an application-specific device,
or is it an ipad or tablet?
Seems like there's already apps available which combine all your engine / flight instrumentation?

Watch the vids and you'll see that they use their own sensors and combine the signals to be sent to the display. Displays are a dime a dozen. They just need to be told which data to show. It's no different than displaying an app on a phone or a tablet or a laptop. The sensors and signal conditioners are the true 'system'.

Web

Back