• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

185 vs Supercub

isilverone

Saskatchewan
Hi All, im brand new to this forum and gotta say im a new man. Ive been flying a tricked out C-185 on amphibs and 31" ABA's for 5 years but found out I wasnt actually flying, I was just travelling by air. A few months back I got the opportunity to ferry a supercub and I havent stopped smiling. I have since sold my baby and have purchased a 150 cub. Every time I fly it, it reminds me of why I fell in love with wings. Glad to be living again

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Convert it to 160, keep it as light as possible, and keep the mods to a minimum. Big tires ma look gnarly, but they are in the way unless landing on big rocks. I love the early 180 Cessna, but it is not a Cub.

Welcome Abroad. Supercubs are wonderful, but love a good skywagon. Like the supercub fuel burn if just fooling around and hard to beat in tight spots.

Convert it to 160, keep it as light as possible, and keep the mods to a minimum. Big tires ma look gnarly, but they are in the way unless landing on big rocks. I love the early 180 Cessna, but it is not a Cub.

Sorry I have to disagree with the Big tire statement the rest is correct. Big tires are cheap insurance for anyone, especially a new pilot to off airport flying. I know some say it encourages you to land places you might not normally land but it also can keep the airplane safe when you think you are landing in a safe place and it turns out a little different then what you had pictured.

Big tires are in the way, unless you land on big rocks or soft moss covered sand or deep grass with hidden holes/logs/fire pits or snow or mud...
Plus, they do look gnarly.
A light 150 Cub with big tires/long prop--good stuff. A little more HP--even better stuff.

My friends use big tires on pavement. They like the looks. They are aware of the performance hit, and are happy. Happiness is important - more so than performance and cost.

I admit - I have never flown a 180 with bigger than 8:50. We really never had any problems with 6:00s, but the worst we have is a few gravelly dirt strips.

The right 180/185,empty and light on fuel, with a good driver gives a run for the money to lotsa -18's and Cubdrivers........believe it or don't.

A 180/185 loaded with as much stuff as a Cub will carry is still pretty light and capable.
With a Mike Woodson, bring everything you own and a bunch of stuff your buddies own, load on board they're a little less so.

My '53 180 with 225 HP is a 400 foot airplane all day long at gross at sea level and 60 deg F

that is 400 foot takeoffs. The landings are shorter. Not bragging, just really happy with my 180

We have had a 185 for over 30 years now,every few years in addition we buy a cub.Then I think.we don't need both aircraft so we sell the cub.Guess what,we have now had four cubs,and have come to the conclusion both aircraft are necessary for the "joie de vie"!!The cub is irreplaceable...............come to think of it so is the 185.

Two -18 frames and wing parts are waiting for me to build them to get a Cub or two back in the family.

Tough decision between the C180 and a good Cub.

I loved my 185, i just put an IO-550 in it and had all the mods. But it is worlds apart from the cub. I was using the 185 for work and play but its not fast enough for buis travel and wasnt fun enough for play time. Got the Cub, now looking for a Cirrus or Mooney for buis commute..

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I loved my 185, i just put an IO-550 in it and had all the mods. But it is worlds apart from the cub. I was using the 185 for work and play but its not fast enough for buis travel and wasnt fun enough for play time. Got the Cub, now looking for a Cirrus or Mooney for buis commute..

Not fast enough for business travel, HA!

I've averaged 160 hours a year for work now going on 6 years in my 180 trued out at 140-145 knots on 8.50's (depending on altitude) and I get up high where it's cool PDQ with a 520. All that and I don't have to try to fly looking like Cloud Dancer with a paper bag over my head so I can crawl out of one of those things you mentioned that oh by the way draws yawns from the ramp help.

Priorities man priorities!

My '53 180 with 225 HP is a 400 foot airplane all day long at gross at sea level and 60 deg F

that is 400 foot takeoffs. The landings are shorter. Not bragging, just really happy with my 180

I have both a Smith Cub (180hp plus) and a 1954 180 with 225HP. The Cub burns 7.2 gph at 100 mph TAS on 31's. MY 180 burns 7.5 gph at 115 True on 8.50's. At 10.5 gph it trues at 150-155 mph. They both carry 1000 lbs. I'm not as good as Dave but am comfortable with 6-800' runways. I have NO STOL devices. The 180 weights 1525 lbs EW with the rear seat out. That's certified scale weight.
Sadly I am parting with the Cub after 14 years.

Lou

That makes perfect sense. Skywagons are great planes but not as alluring as a Cub when you just want to go burn some gas after work with no place in particular to go. Enjoy the Cub and good luck finding your go-fast plane.

I lived on my airport which was one hour's drive south of Boston where I flew a Boeing 727 for a living. One day I took the 727 from Boston to Tampa Florida with one stop en-route. The following week I took my 185 with an IO-520 to Lake Wales Florida with one stop en-route. Guess which one got to it's destination in the least elapsed time? Or better yet, to the destination of my choice?

Another time I was supposed to go to LaGuardia (New York City) for a check ride in a simulator. I left home at the same time that I would have left if I had taken the airline shuttle to LGA. This time I flew my Lake LA-4 to LGA. Guess what, I was waiting there when my sim partner arrived.

If you are willing or want to give up a 185 for a Cirrus or a Mooney, enjoy. It certainly isn't much of a speed issue.

The right 180/185,empty and light on fuel, with a good driver gives a run for the money to lotsa -18's and Cubdrivers........believe it or don't.

The first time I flew a sportsman equipped 180 I was highly impressed. I got to fly a 53 pponked mt prop sportsman vg's wing x Bushwheels. Wow I as impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold a C150/150 taildragger to buy a fairly light 53 C180.
Like comparing a dirt bike to a Harley.
Both fun to fly- just a different type of fun.
And built for different missions.

That makes perfect sense. Skywagons are great planes but not as alluring as a Cub when you just want to go burn some gas after work with no place in particular to go. Enjoy the Cub and good luck finding your go-fast plane.
That's what I was trying to say!

The guy who shares my hangar has a Cirrus SR-22, and had pretty much decided that it's just not fast enough for him. He and his wife fly between Dallas and "somewhere in Oregon" on a regular basis - he's buying some property there. They make that 3,000 mile round trip on pretty much every other weekend. The faster they can get there, the more time they have to enjoy being there. While his Cirrus seems really fast to me, he's planning to upgrade to a significantly faster airplane. He and his wife looked at a couple of airplanes a broker wanted to show them, and his wife decided she REALLY likes the Citation Mustang better than the King Airs he took her to see... He says he can live with that...

Me? I'm looking forward to upgrading from my 1965 Champion 7ECA (with the O-200) and it's 95 mph cruise speed, to a "blistering" 145-150 mph cruise when I complete my Bearhawk Patrol project. Meantime, the old Citabria looks a bit "outclassed" in its own hangar... But in all honesty, I'd rather have the Citabria than the Citation Mustang OR the SR-22. I sold a great turbo-normalized Commander 114 to buy the Citabria and start the Bearhawk Patrol project. I like flying short grass strips better than long trips - especially since my wife doesn't like to fly at all.

The first time I flew a sportsman equipped 180 I was highly impressed. I got to fly a 53 pponked mt prop sportsman vg's wing x Bushwheels. Wow I as impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It impressed you how easily you got unstuck in the snow on skis

Glenn

Dave, my '57 would do that with me and Lyn on board- they are great planes!

But I think a bunch of you wagon drivers missed the word "AMPHIG" in his description. I get about 115 kts, maybe 120 kts on the 550 amphib at work in high power cruise, and burn 18 gallons an hour. Working it so speed is important.

Really, you need 5 airplanes. One fast, (G-5), one cub on floats, one wheels/skis; 185 on floats so your buddy and both dogs can go, and the Bonanza when just going a short distance and don't want to fire up the jet.8)

Then we can add in 'wants', with the P-51 and other birds just for fun:lol:

Dave, first off, I am not questioning your numbers. I understand what a light 180 will do.

What's your empty weight (with all seats in?) on your 180?

Mine's 1,884 w/4 seats, and is a pig with the short 3-blade McCauley D3A36C435/80Vea-0 prop + 470R.
Even with the Horton STOL, VG's and new fangled 1973 J-model wing, no way in heck am I getting off the ground in 500'. I wish I could get near your numbers!

Maybe it's time for a PPonk & long prop... and spartan interior... and stripped paint - Here we go! :roll:

If I throw more AMU's at this bird, the wife is going to be convinced that I've gone over the edge. Wait until she sees the new Cub kit next year.

Last edited:
Dave, first off, I am not questioning your numbers. I understand what a light 180 will do.

What's your empty weight (with all seats in?) on your 180?

Mine's 1,884 w/4 seats, and is a pig with the short 3-blade McCauley D3A36C435/80Vea-0 prop + 470R.
Even with the Horton STOL, VG's and new fangled 1973 J-model wing, no way in heck am I getting off the ground in 500'. I wish I could get near your numbers!

Maybe it's time for a PPonk & long prop... and spartan interior... and stripped paint - Here we go! :roll:

If I throw more AMU's at this bird, the wife is going to be convinced that I've gone over the edge. Wait until she sees the new Cub kit next year.

Peel the Horton kit off and install a Sportsman. No comparison there.

MTV

Johnny said he has a camberlift under the Horton. That airplane at mid weights should have no problem with 500' coming or going.

Back