• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Skis on, need snow.

C130jake

BENEFACTOR
Four Corners Wyoming
Anyone recommend a ski instructor in the Minneapolis area? Put the skis on today. Took 6 hours to get the brackets, tabs and cables on. Should be about 5 min to put on and off from now on.

Still need to reinstall brake pads and bleed the left brake after rerouting the brake line.

Need more air in the 850s. Most folks run them at the max 30psi with wheel penetration Skis?

Started snowing an hour ago.

Jake20171204_181721.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20171204_181721.jpg
    20171204_181721.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 458
I would plan more than 5 minutes. The tires need to be hockey pucks.

https://youtu.be/mWUL969TxNE

Anyone recommend a ski instructor in the Minneapolis area? Put the skis on today. Took 6 hours to get the brackets, tabs and cables on. Should be about 5 min to put on and off from now on.

Still need to reinstall brake pads and bleed the left brake after rerouting the brake line.

Need more air in the 850s. Most folks run them at the max 30psi with wheel penetration Skis?

JakeView attachment 33908

I would plan more than 5 minutes.

The tires need to be hockey pucks.

Don't taxi with the flaps down - the rudder does not work well.

Start with a very long wide runway.

Ski flying seems to me to be a - see one - do one- teach one - kind of a thing.

For the see one - get this video: https://youtu.be/E7sBrlCJCIU

Didn't you get a float rating? Same game different dock

Glenn

Didn't you get a float rating? Same game different dock

Glenn

Except conditions vary greatly. Soft wet snow is incedibly draggy and requires power to move the plane. Sometimes more power than you have available. That's when snowshoes and shovels are needed. On the flip side, wet ice is so slick you'll be convinced you'll never stop, and you might not until you hit something. Skis are fun but ski flying comes with risk and adventure.

Conditions that favor short takeoffs provide long landings.
Conditions that favor long takeoffs provide short landings.

I’ve always said that ski Flying is the most fun you can have in an airplane......right up until it’s not.

MTV

You will never brag how light your cub is after getting it stuck in snow or overflow. :)

Any of you Southern boys got any ski pictures? All we want to do up here is make some tracks and you got all the snow down there.

Glenn

Shared a few on the tips and trics....no skis[emoji14]
04905f5383dc0ec5b0de0d9181f91dfe.jpg
582ea09e0356e9bd007d1da42f6cdff8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

It's in the 40s in Anchorage and is supposed to stay that way for several days. Alaskans need ice before snow and what we had of either is melting. I have no desire to put skis on for this.

The float pond in Fairbanks has lots of overflow along the shore and in spider spots here and there. Rained a little here and the snow has settled plus been warm +10 to +35F. More on the way this week from shortwave storms coming from the Gulf of Alaska. Have skis on but plane is iced on top and am too lazy to go water skiing

Gary

Put my skis on over thanksgiving now I wish I had my 35s on—-When The wheels are on I need the skiis——could have worse problems I guess. The frozen in rocks in ice are pretty hard on tires. 20Lbs of tire pressure is more than enough for tires on GLH 3000. 8.50 tires on skis will put a guy back on hes toes after flying <4lbs of bushwheel pressure all summer. I hope real Alaska winters are not a thing of the past because high wind and warm sucks.

It was 50 and sunny here. No precip for the last week or so. It was a good day for the 26s and a bad day for skis [emoji41]

Near the Idaho/Wyoming border at 8640', there is plenty of snow, still a bit sparse down lower though about right for this time of year. My second time out this year on the skis, I feel warmed up now!

Attachments

• 8640'.jpg
    8640'.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 186
I'm thinking I might need to mow by Wednesday, here in Eagle River Ak... most of the green grass is showing(and dog poop), and they were talking about opening the Palmer golf course for yesterday(Saturday....)

But you can get a 2 month head start on doody duty. There's ALWAYS a silver lining. 8)

I trained my dog to poop in the neighbor's yard years ago. Life is good!

Yes—the GLH skis float as good or much better than anything. They get on top nicely. After landing and the skis are a foot or more in the snow I have steped off and instantly go chest deep+ Many times. Downsides are that it is harder to get into the slush on a drag by-and if in the spring you want to go clamming before skiing they are not as good as federals on sand as there is not as much tire. Even as the skis are (kind of) light the wheels, tires,breaks,pump add up. They work for me and unless I needed to land on gravel bars and snow they are the ticket for early and late season.

Drag-by for overflow?...If floating on big skis pull the tailwheel down hard and watch for overflow in its track. Can be rough on the tail but if it's critical then try.

Edit: Why bother? Maybe you want to park somewhere and don't want takeoff issues later, or just to get out and check your traps for fur. Maybe go fishing? Yes once out you will discover overflow but it's nice to know and decide before.

Gary

Last edited:
After landing and the skis are a foot or more in the snow I have stepped off and instantly go chest deep+ Many times. Downsides are that it is harder to get into the slush on a drag by-
???If the skis float high enough in the snow, why do you care if there is overflow? Is it just that you won't know that you are stepping off into the slush?

???If the skis float high enough in the snow, why do you care if there is overflow? Is it just that you won't know that you are stepping off into the slush?
There can be a fine line from floating over the slush and when the plane stops and settles into the slush. When it settles it usually turns it into a camping trip which is what I am prepared for but want to avoid. With unconsolidated deep snow it can also settle to the wings. When it is cold you can lay tacks come back at a later date and have a good frozen setup. When I land and there is slush I go to plan b and leave.

Landing and parking even briefly on overflow in real cold (like well below zero) can create problems. If the plane settles into the slush it'll have to be able to climb back on top of any snow cover to take off. There's never enough power to plow a trench and reach takeoff speed it seems. That can become a real problem if the skis blow a trail into the snow and overflow. The skis may not climb up on top until the overflow water depth decreases. By then the prop has picked up slush and water which has most likely frozen to the tip reducing thrust. The skis are covered on top with heavy slush, and worse yet, some of the slush freezes to the bottom of the very cold skis while parked.

The only way out sometimes is to snowshoe a trail ahead to compact the snow and slush and shovel that packed trail full of snow until it hardens. If the skis are in water they'll be ok, but if the slush is freezing best get going soon.

I've taken off with at least 4" of slush frozen to the cold ski bottoms after checking my traps for 15 minutes with no way to remove it until the next landing...which becomes a high drag affair best prepared for. A few brief T&G hits on a packed surface will get rid of most of the rough gob, but not all. Then how to get the ice gob off the bottoms? Dig a hole under the middle of the skis and scrape away.

Find overflow, pack it down with at least three adjacent and overlapping sets of ski tracks, and come back later when it's frozen.

Gary

Landing and parking even briefly on overflow in real cold (like well below zero) can create problems. If the plane settles into the slush it'll have to be able to climb back on top of any snow cover to take off. There's never enough power to plow a trench and reach takeoff speed it seems. That can become a real problem if the skis blow a trail into the snow and overflow. The skis may not climb up on top until the overflow water depth decreases. By then the prop has picked up slush and water which has most likely frozen to the tip reducing thrust. The skis are covered on top with heavy slush, and worse yet, some of the slush freezes to the bottom of the very cold skis while parked.

The only way out sometimes is to snowshoe a trail ahead to compact the snow and slush and shovel that packed trail full of snow until it hardens. If the skis are in water they'll be ok, but if the slush is freezing best get going soon.

I've taken off with at least 4" of slush frozen to the cold ski bottoms after checking my traps for 15 minutes with no way to remove it until the next landing...which becomes a high drag affair best prepared for. A few brief T&G hits on a packed surface will get rid of most of the rough gob, but not all. Then how to get the ice gob off the bottoms? Dig a hole under the middle of the skis and scrape away.

Find overflow, pack it down with at least three adjacent and overlapping sets of ski tracks, and come back later when it's frozen.

Gary

All compounded because you need to keep the tail high enough to keep the drag off the TW or tail ski. So down the lake you go trying to build some speed but with the tail high you don't have any AOA so it doesn't get any better and your only hope is the skis hydroplaning up out of the water and slush.

Glenn

Back