• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What is your FAVORITE (JUST ONE) destination PUBLIC airport and why?

You know what's really nice about the airports in the Canadian arctic?

....... anybody .....?

Nobody knows.

Very low density altitudes. ;-)

--
Bearhawk

I was having a Jackie Mason moment!

NO 100LL (with a couple of exceptions)
No camping
No tie-downs
No restaurant at airport (and maybe not in town either)
$20 for a 2-mile taxi drive into town
Crappy hotels (with a couple of exceptions)
No courtesy car
Good chance your 'plane will get vandalized

Hmmm.... what did I miss?

Oh ya:

$100 call-out for fuel (Jet A-1) after 5:00 pm
$2.50 for a soda (after the $20 taxi ride)

Not that I'm telling anyone to stay away - just be prepared!

I'm going to agree with a few others that have already said it Talkeetna. Short walk to town always interesting people to BS with climbers from all over. Fly right over the river/ lodge on your approach and take off. Or grab some drinks at any of the little places there and throw a tent up for the night.

Most of my favorite airports are long gone or paved over. I liked Manassas when it was grass. I loved Gila Bend when it was dirt and the Reillys ran it. Marsh Field in Yuma was great, too - under a freeway now. San Juan Capistrano was the nicest grass field in Southern California. And West Chester outside of PHL was grass with lots of Cubs. The lady at Sunland, outside of ELP, would never let me pay for gas. And El Dorado Ark was always a port in a storm.

But now, Hood River, because of the beautiful flight in. Willows because of the motel and food. And Montgomery, because I practically live there.

KFFA first flight airport, kill devil hills. Where else can you land on a national memorial/monument and not be arrested. And I love that its a part 23 type GA type airport.

I really like wondering around Sky Harbor in Duluth. Park the plane, walk across the street to a beach on Lake Superior. Lots of interesting airplanes from Beech 18s on straight floats, a Seabee and Mark Marino's Hangar 10 Operation. Mark and others built the Lark of Duluth and displayed it at the Red Barn at Oshkosh this year: http://www.duluthaviationinstitute.org/Lark of Duluth.htm
Mark also is a Polyfiber Dealer, has one of the greatest hangars ever, overlooking Duluth Harbor, and redesigned the Hatz Biplane into the Hatz Bantam light sport: http://www.hatzbantam.com/order hatz bantam plans. htm.htm
Neat little place that looks like time forgot: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDYT
And camping available:http://www.skyharborduluth.com/recoverd/My Webs/sky harbor camping.htm
skyharbor 03.jpg
skyharbor 05.jpg
skyharbor 06.jpg
skyharbor 04.jpg
skyharbor 01.jpg
skyharbor 02.jpg

Attachments

• skyharbor 03.jpg
    skyharbor 03.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 168
  • skyharbor 05.jpg
    skyharbor 05.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 181
  • skyharbor 06.jpg
    skyharbor 06.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 182
  • skyharbor 04.jpg
    skyharbor 04.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 177
  • skyharbor 01.jpg
    skyharbor 01.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 170
  • skyharbor 02.jpg
    skyharbor 02.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Darrel Sky Harbor is a cool place, Where else are you going to see 2 Beech 18 on floats parked side by side. I know some of the old characters from the area, Don McCann? and Ray Briole over at Superior. I got dolly launched into 30mph NW winds and 3' waves and an ore boat wake in a J4/1320 back in 07 and made it back to Saratoga NY in 11 hrs.

Glenn

Wow, that Luscombe is nice.

2B3 - Parlin Field, Newport NH. Lots of grass, good folks, no fence, Mexican pub on the field.

For local lunch flight, 7B3 Hampton NH is great for Cubs. There are bunch of other places to visit, and it is along the coast. Cheap Mogas.

7B3Logo.png

7B3.jpg

Attachments

• 7B3Logo.png
    7B3Logo.png
    17 KB · Views: 225
  • 7B3.jpg
    7B3.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 225
It is funny no one mentioned Katama ( Edgartown Martha's Vineyard) All grass multiple runways and a great restaurant on the field and you walk to the beach adjoining the airport.
00355.jpg

Cavanaugh Bay (66S) is hard to beat, Preist Lake, camping area, hot showers, picnic tables, firewood, courtesy car, restaurant, bar, boat rentals, beautiful country

Voyager Village in Wisconsin 9WN2
nice little strip right on the golf course. Has a great country club to grab lunch and golf a few holes.
Great spot, and Siren is close by which has good fuel prices and auto fuel.

Palmer, AK:

- Short flight even for a fat and slow PA-12 (or is that the pilot)
- Relatively low key atmosphere, although it can get hectic at times in summer
- Go over to Forestry, hang out with No. 1 son, pretend I am a contributing member of society
- Great place to go for a day in the summer: walk into town, hang out at the local market festival thing, have a sandwich, head out
- 5 - 35 minute flight from the cabin depending on the way the wind is blowing
- Pretty spectacular sights nearby

Seldovia, AK, PASO, Great rwy, easy walk to town, King Salmon fishing off the bridge in town, good restaurants, good bar, nice people and I live there.

Hey Glenn, stu and I will show you around when you get up. My other fav. Airport is almost ready for landings, all 1800' is open but the last 4-500' NW end is narrow-60' or so the rest is fairly smooth and mowed . The rest is also 100' wide. One of the locals landed in a Hawk UL said it wasn't bad.

Back