• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Emergency tire inflator

A bicycle pump works just fine, even for 35's.

The biggest challenge is curing the issue that caused the flat. Must have tire repair stuff for that.

I would expect any compressed air will assist, but if you need to do it more than once will it last? Or would a tire pump be better?

I carry a small inflator that takes threaded CO2 cartridges. Five 16g bottles will take an empty 31" bushwheel up to six psi. I hesitate to think of how my elbow and shoulder would feel after hand pumping that

Fix a Flat type latex sealer-inflaters will have plenty of volume for an 8.50x6 but will lack pressure. It'll get you home but the pressure will need to be topped off with a pump. Prevention additives like Slime or Stan's No Tubes solve lots of problems before they happen. I carry a full size hand pump for the times I need one.

Prevention additives like Slime or Stan's No Tubes solve lots of problems before they happen.
That's a good point, especially with ABW's. You're never going inside one once it's made so there's no downside. Patching a traditional tire or tube after it's been Slimed is a messy job, especially tubeless, but with an ABW it's no harm-no foul. I might just do that next time.

......or call me and I’ll come rescue you. Better yet, come get the 31s in my hangar then you won’t have to worry about tubes;-)

OK, is there anything I can put in the 8.50 tubes that won’t ball up and get the tires way out of balance? They’re turning a lot faster than large tundra tires.

Last edited:
OK, is there anything I can put in the 8.50 tubes that won’t ball up and get the tires way out of balance? They’re turning a lot faster than large tundra tires.
That's my only concern. It's not like you can just go drive for 20 miles and spread it around in the tire. As to balance factor vs tire size, probably a push. ABW turns slower but has a greater radius.

... Prevention additives like Slime or Stan's No Tubes solve lots of problems before they happen. I carry a full size hand pump for the times I need one.

How long does Stan's last? I assume it will solidify after a year or two.

No idea. I haven't had a leak after adding it and I've never renewed it. Works great. I add it to new Bushwheels before first inflation but the better test is my 4-wheeler tires. Those get tortured. It works equally well in both.

Ive had good luck with a automotive tire plug kit on ABW's, limped home after plugging a pretty good gash. 3 plugs in one hole got it to hold air, tire slime when I got home completely stopped the bubbling. Its now on the community emergency spare parts shelf and still holding air.

I keep a good quality plug kit with my underseat tool stash, still looking for a good, compact, high volume low pressure tire pump. researched compressed cartridges but, as mentioned, takes a bunch of them.

Slime type products are latex based and, from my experience, "dry up" after 6 months or so, might not be a guaranteed preventative solution but works great when fresh.

How much Slime does a Bushwheel require?

No idea. I haven't had a leak after adding it and I've never renewed it. Works great. I add it to new Bushwheels before first inflation but the better test is my 4-wheeler tires. Those get tortured. It works equally well in both.

It’s been a long time since I used Green Slime in a Bushwheel but I have several bottles on the shelf for my wheelers, The Airframes website has directions for Stan’s and Orange Seal. I used Orange Seal cold weather formula in my 35s and I think they used 6 oz each. Different tires need different amounts of sealant. Check their site for accurate info, my memory isn’t always accurate.

AC8756F9-1D4B-430C-B1FD-0BC0828ADB02.jpeg

Attachments

• AC8756F9-1D4B-430C-B1FD-0BC0828ADB02.jpeg
    AC8756F9-1D4B-430C-B1FD-0BC0828ADB02.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 279
Yes, that's what I was getting at. It seems like a good preventative thing, but you'd almost need a rotator like I saw posted many months ago, designed for coating old ABW's with Herculiner. I wouldn't want all that stuff pooled up in one spot. It could possibly make them even more unbalanced than they are new. :p

How long? It takes a while for that stuff to become non-migratory. With a car you're supposed to go out and drive it to distribute it around the tire. May be a non-issue, I don't know, but you'd sure figure it out on the first take-off if that stuff was pooled up in one spot!

Last edited:
Assuming you can get the weight off your flat Bushwheel, it should "auto inflate" to some extent with valve stem out.
shouldnt take that much volume of air to get it back to serviceable condition.

Found this gizmo, at 8 oz, pretty lightweight and compact - and spendy, $75 - but that's pretty cheap in airplane dollars.

Stompump
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 178
Assuming you can get the weight off your flat Bushwheel, it should "auto inflate" to some extent with valve stem out.
shouldnt take that much volume of air to get it back to serviceable condition.

Found this gizmo, at 8 oz, pretty lightweight and compact - and spendy, $75 - but that's pretty cheap in airplane dollars.

Stompump
View attachment 39980

Not enough volume to be useful. Not unlike the small bicycle pumps that clamp onto a tube. They look nice until you try to pump up a tundra sized flat tire with one.

I look for typical full size hand pumps that have the biggest diameter tube. I’m not concerned with high pressures like bicycle guys and want the highest pump volume I can get. And no built in gauge.

Last edited:
Back