• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cleveland wheel Kit STC

I don't know if this will help or not but here is an example. My 180 has a Cleveland kit available, number 199-62. I can put that kit on my airplane using a Cleveland stc (I can't remember if it actually needs an STC but the gist is the same, it's approved on my airplane). The main wheel of that kit is Cleveland part number 40-75d. ABI makes a PMA equivalent under ABI part number 40-75d. I can replace the Cleveland wheel with the ABI PMA part with a logbook entry. Now if you wanted to replace the Cleveland wheel with another part number that was not PMA'd for that Cleveland part number, you would have to get a field approval or an STC.

Wayne

The 62a kit uses a wheel specified by Cleveland to be p/n 40-75aa. I did not see that part on the ABI website but they specifically state that they have a PMA'd 62a kit. I'm going to guess they have a PMA'd 40-75aa wheel, too. If so, again, you can replace with a logbook entry.

I found it somewhat interesting that the FAA gave the PMA for a wheel with a different material used (aluminum instead of mag). An improvement in my opinion, I just thought you had to essentially copy the part. Guess not.

Wayne

The 62a kit uses a wheel specified by Cleveland to be p/n 40-75aa. I did not see that part on the ABI website but they specifically state that they have a PMA'd 62a kit. I'm going to guess they have a PMA'd 40-75aa wheel, too. If so, again, you can replace with a logbook entry.

I found it somewhat interesting that the FAA gave the PMA for a wheel with a different material used (aluminum instead of mag). An improvement in my opinion, I just thought you had to essentially copy the part. Guess not.

Wayne

PMA can be by “identicality” but doesn’t have to be. You can get PMA by showing compliance to a regulation along with form fit and function, or several other ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is an incredible indictment of the FAAs certification system that discussions of this type are regularly featured on this forum. I realize certification requires safety of flight assurances, but it certainly seems to this non mechanic that the FAA couldn’t make a mechanics or manufactures job much more difficult if they tried.

I would like to thank every one of you who puts your signature in maintenance logbooks, and those who are courageous (or crazy) enough to certificate and produce products for light aircraft for your efforts and courage. Please keep up the good work!

MTV

Like I said.... an episode of Murder, She Wrote! And now I have a plot twist. Thank you stoldriver for pointing this out to me.

I did not notice this 40-75aa wheel part requirement, nor did any of the two IAs or the A&P I'm working with. So if one were to file the Parker SA63GL STC for a legal installation of the Cleveland 199-62a kit, is it then legal to do a swap of those mythical 40-75aa wheels with the ABI 40-75T (6 bolt) because they are PMA'd for the 180? I read through the PMA paperwork from ABI last night and I can find no mention of what parts they can replace - other than 40-75T wheels. And if I can replace any old Cleveland wheel that is PMA'd for my airframe, why did I need any STC in the first place? Aren't I back to bolting them up with a log entry from an A&P?

What is a conscientious aircraft owner to do? It should not be this hard to figure this out. The circular logic is maddening. Ask 10 different pros and you get 10 different opinions.

I echo MTV's sentiment about you guys in the trenches signing logs and I really appreciate the expertise and commentary. Thanks again for your input. Yet another educational event for me in aviation.

PMA can be by “identicality” but doesn’t have to be. You can get PMA by showing compliance to a regulation along with form fit and function, or several other ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, I got a return call from Parker technical support. Guy was awesome, even though it took him a week and a half to return my initial call. He confirmed for me 2 things:

1) Parker does not individually sign or assign their STCs to individual serial numbers. So it is, in fact completely free and open to use. You do not have to, nor can you purchase a specific approval to use the SA63GL which covers both 199-62 and 19962A kits - the entire kit - more on this in a bit

2) The 199-62A kit does only include the 40-75AA wheel which according to the parker parts catalog a 6-bolt, chrome disc version of the 40-75T. The only difference between the two being the inclusion of 3 bolts on the face for the dust cover. ABI does not appear to make a version that supports the little hub cap dust cover.

Now re-reading again the PMA paperwork for the ABI-199-62A kit the FAA gave permission to replace the 199-62 kit or the 199-62A with either the ABI-199-62 or the ABI-199-62A as a whole. I think that's how the 40-75AA wheels can be replaced legally by the 40-75T from ABI. For information, the Atlee Dodge STC, SA02231AK has the exact same issue about referencing the Cleveland kit number 199-62 and 199-62A. I don't know why people would buy it, especially if they have the 185F which isn't on it. So save yourself 3 hundo. You cannot mix and match parts from ABI within 199-62, you go all ABW or all Cleveland.

For reference, here is the PMA paperwork for the ABI kit:
https://www.airframesalaska.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/PMA No. PQ4204CE Supplement No. 04.pdf

That's it I'm climbing outta this rabbit hole and not looking back. I hope this information is useful to somebody else down the road.

Case closed. ;-)

Last edited:
Back