• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East winter Fun 17/18

Jim we're going to the ice palace , you go in first and check the thickness of the ice. Maybe take a drill with a 2 inch bit to drill a bunch of holes. Put a tape down in and take a measurement. Probably get all this done in 1/2 an hour. You can call us on 122.75 and tell us what you find. :lol:

IMG_3700.JPG
After 10 days of crap weather and no snow for two weeks I figured I should get out and fly today.

I went for a "Rene Robillard" tour today:
Bull Jump, Dog Park, The Bog, a fly by of Skywagon8A's (runway was not frozen). Cranland, Sherman's, Plymouth and Tradewind.
Fun couple of hours in the air. 3-8" of snow.
Now back to work.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Played for a while today, even flew with the door open for a little while. Snow is disappearing fast.
3c423d559211913da4766fa9aa5115ec.jpg
4a67c6005a7e81c2aad582a79cae8727.jpg
2b0b410ce7ae2dd7d5e1eefe4b320510.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

GlennQUOTE=Bearhawk Builder;708440]Wise guy
Hey, I'm on a job on Silver Lake right now and everyone is talking about the 'little planes' landing on the lake. Local paper is doing a piece on you hoodlums.[/QUOTE]

Thats good, who had the big N#s ;-)

G

I just checked with the official FAA bait shop up in Saranac Lake getting an ice/snow report. Ice is good and now has a couple inches of snow on it so should have better control then the rock hard clear ice we had last weekend. I think skis or wheels with 8.50 or bigger tires will be fine everyplace we go?
Plan is breakfast at Speculator at 9am. Lake run North to Saranac Lake and ice castle then either Raquette Lk on the boat for lunch where they have 91 efree gas or Long lake at the ADK Hotel.
My scouts are up at Saranac right now checking conditions, 2" of powder on ice

6187_zps9d1jvotl.jpeg

Glenn

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun adventure for you guys. It wouldn't kill you to slide over to KSLK, pick up some fuel (tell the line guys Go Aviation sent you), and have breakfast at the Cafe on the field( I recommend the breakfast Reuben). For a small charge we can provide a tour of the Go Aviation repair facility. Small charge payable to me.......

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Ken,

Step 1 : drive to airport
Step 2 : get an airplane
Step 3 : fuel airplane
Step 4 : double check fuel cap
Step 5 : fly with us. Well, them, anyhow.

[emoji4]

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Ken,

Step 1 : drive to airport
Step 2 : get an airplane
Step 3 : fuel airplane
Step 4 : double check fuel cap
Step 5 : fly with us. Well, them, anyhow.

[emoji4]

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Step 1: Okay
Step 2: Which one?
Step 3: That’s the beauty of SLK. Great fuel at great prices....
Step 4: Yes. Lesson learned from a WAD buddy.......
Step 5: Love to!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

A dirt farmer and a retired airline pilot go into a restaurant. Airline pilot says
the Northeast hound dogs are going to fly to a house made of ice. Dirt farmer says
that must involve long underwear and gloves and a runny nose
Airline pilot says when we get done sitting outside in the sun eating lunch follow me in thecub I know a spot
full of fine looking girls in bikinis that always wave at pilots and sometimes display their accessories
Dirt farmer says sure beats a house made of ice and a runny nose

Great to catch up CapCub thanks for lunch
jim

Attachments

• IMG_2891.JPG
    IMG_2891.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 158
A dirt farmer and a retired airline pilot go into a restaurant. Airline pilot says
the Northeast hound dogs are going to fly to a house made of ice. Dirt farmer says
that must involve long underwear and gloves and a runny nose
Airline pilot says when we get done sitting outside in the sun eating lunch follow me in thecub I know a spot
full of fine looking girls in bikinis that always wave at pilots and sometimes display their accessories
Dirt farmer says sure beats a house made of ice and a runny nose

Great to catch up CapCub thanks for lunch
jim

But the girls in the ice castle will be perkier;-)

Glenn

Well taking my skis off last week might just have been the ticket. Four inches of fluffy snow yesterday, looking pretty good for three to five tomorrow and five to eight coming on Wednesday. So if I haven't jinks myself by looking forward the sticks will go back on this afternoon. And if it turns out that I do jinks things I'll head to Florida for a week or two to help Jim and John in evaluating the local talent we keep hearing about! (Pictures would be appreciated Jim) The more I think of it there's no down side.

But the girls in the ice castle will be perkier;-)

Glenn

Glenn I wouldn't know! As you know the picture of the bundled up eskimo at the ice palace is my wife Judy. I thought perhaps a drive would do her good, she's been cooped up recovering from surgery, with the cold and the wind and all the layers of clothing good luck with the perky thing.

Last edited:
So.... While letting Isaac play in the ice castle, the weather has come down. I don't have phone for Ken or anyone else interested the area of KSLK. We might need some rescue in the form of help securing the Bearhawk and a ride to some place we can stay. ... possibly until Monday. I can be reached at 603-321-6736. ...in the meantime we are watching for any improvement in visibility.

Sounds like Tyson is all set. He just texted that he is on top with breaks below and good weather to the east. Five of our guys from the shop were eager to go help him out. Now that they don't have to, they are making me bring them donuts in on Monday. Think Pavlov and his dogs....

Speculator

Saranac lk, some marginal VFR was required to get here :roll:

Tupper Lk

Raquett lk

Black Creek lk

Some serious beer drinkers

Great day with friends

Glenn

Last edited:
Speculator

Saranac lk, some marginal VFR was required to get here :roll:

Tupper Lk

Black Creek lk

Some serious beer drinkers

Great day with friends

Glenn
could not get past the Vermont mountains. Turned around and met Tom Ford at Alton Bay

We should have left the ice [emoji553] when the rest of you did. Later, we thought we had a chance with KSLK repotting 2000+ and 2 1/2, but before we could get the plane loaded up the snow kicked into high gear and we couldn't see the other end of the lake. ...and KSLK's reports rapidly deteriorating to eventually be 1/2 and VV 1300 ft. With no sign of improvement, we eventually concluded that we were stuck on the lake for at least the night. We found someone at a nearby Marina and a place to make some effort to secure the airplane. Just as we were preparing to bring the plane over we noticed that the snow and suspended and a small opening in the overcast appeared. We ran for the plane. By the time we were running the snow had restarted and the skies were closing in again. Weather reports to the east were good; clear in a good number of places. Emilie launched and circled up. We hadn't gone far east before large areas of clear we're found. We flew home at 9,500 with ground speeds of 170-190 mph.

Thanks Pete and Ken for having our backs! Today we escaped, but awesome friends are very much appreciated when help is needed.

Now, to go get those ice screws that have been on our shopping list...

1241f1f87fcf32882478718c7a08fde3.jpg

92e716fb554f242a240e98dc9c20be51.jpg

2018-02-03 16.35.22.png

Attachments

• 2018-02-03 16.35.22.png
    2018-02-03 16.35.22.png
    510.4 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
GlennQUOTE=kestrel;708667]We should have left the ice [emoji553]. hen the rest of you did. Later, we thought we had a chance with KSLK repotting 2000+ and 2 1/2, but before we could get the plane loaded up the snow kicked into high gear and we couldn't see the other end of the lake. ...and KSLK's reports rapidly deteriorating to eventually be 1/2 and VV 1300 ft. With no sign of improvement, we eventually concluded that we were stuck on the lake for at least the night. We found someone at a nearby Marina and a place to make some effort to secure the airplane. Just as we were preparing to bring the plane over we noticed that the snow and suspended and a small opening in the overcast appeared. We ran for the plane. By the time we were running the snow had restarted and the skies were closing in again. Weather reports to the east were good; clear in a good number of places. Emilie launched and circled up. We hadn't gone far east before large areas of clear we're found. We flew home at 9,500 with ground speeds of 170-190 mph.

Thanks Pete and Ken for having our backs! Today we escaped, but awesome friends are very much appreciated when help is needed.

Now, to go get those ice screws that have been on our shopping list...

1241f1f87fcf32882478718c7a08fde3.jpg

92e716fb554f242a240e98dc9c20be51.jpg

View attachment 35023

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app[/QUOTE]

You should have departed with us, I would have kept you safe :roll:

Glenn

Back