• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Merrill Ramp Checks

pa12drvr

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but FWIW and awareness, I received the info below from Merrill (with a couple of intermediate e-mail stops) today:

Next week, law enforcement officers from all over the country will be on the airport with the FSDO. Their purpose is to conduct "ramp check" training. Thus, I encourage you all to check your aircraft documentation and review your ramp check protocols.

Be polite!

Cool that folks are getting a heads up. They have a job to do, and giving folks a heads up is great, and it is good for everyone to double check that all their stuff is in order.

One nice thing about ramp check, if you are not coming in from a flight, there is nothing they can really say except 'correct that'. I have had a few ramp checks, only a couple go south. Usually the guys are pretty calm and good natured, and really are as much just wanting to make sure people are safe.

When you are in a preflight on a plane you have never flown, and the FAA ramps you and tells you about the Cessna Seat Stops missing- it is a good thing! Guess what, that plane did not fly until seat stops were put in. No big deal.

What is it that AOPA says about ramp checks?

- Be polite.
- Don't volunteer information or documents.
- Be polite
- Don't have follow-up communication until after you talk to your attorney
- Be polite.

...and so on

I suspect that being polite is probably the best thing that one can do, particularly if the ramp check, or any other check, occurs when the intent is for training.....if by chance it is a newbie inspector's first ramp check, we shouldn't leave him or her with the impression that pilots / Anchorage pilots / Merrill pilots / PA-12 pilots are aggressive impolite people. Wouldn't bode well to have that impression from the start.

My ramp check experience has been fun. Meet another pilot, chat about airplanes, trade a couple of stories, no stress. If you don’t have the required docs you’re your own enemy.

Likely part of the LEAP Program. Been around for a long time.. FAA training LEOs that work in Drug Enforcement, Terrorism, etc about airplanes and pilots..

Likely part of the LEAP Program. Been around for a long time.. FAA training LEOs that work in Drug Enforcement, Terrorism, etc about airplanes and pilots..
Could you please supply a link to this program as I am unable to find any details on it. I also can not find any reference to it in any FAA documents including FAA Job Task Analysis (JTA's) that detail the required training for specific tasks for FAA Inspectors.

Last edited:
I also heard of an explanation, supposedly from an ANC FAA front line manager, that does not wash if the LEO's are from "around the country" as described in the original post. I would encourage anybody ramp checked at MRI (or any airport for that matter) to demand to see the credentials of every person attending. Insist on taking photo's of their credentials and please report back. Something stinks here.

Aopa’s ramp check info talks briefly about LEO doing ramp checks. I imagine they’re need the 1010 credentials also, if not…no you can’t get in my cub.

I also heard of an explanation, supposedly from an ANC FAA front line manager, that does not wash if the LEO's are from "around the country" as described in the original post. I would encourage anybody ramp checked at MRI (or any airport for that matter) to demand to see the credentials of every person attending. Insist on taking photo's of their credentials and please report back. Something stinks here.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/investigations/leap/

The LEOs need to be trained to know suspicious activity. The program has been around for years and was enhanced after 911. It’s not some program designed to harass law abiding pilots..

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/investigations/leap/

The LEOs need to be trained to know suspicious activity. The program has been around for years and was enhanced after 911. It’s not some program designed to harass law abiding pilots..

And ADSB won't be used for enforcement...

Couldn't resist.

We can really use a bunch of non-aviation LEO's with minimal training enforcing aviation safety and FAR's at small airports. Yup, sounds like a train wreck:oops:

Ramp checks are pretty simple unless you’re doing something really stupid. Most of us reserve really stupid for remote airports where nobody’s around.

Get chippy with a law guy? He may make a call and get a warrant. I don’t need the hassle. Being friendly and polite is much easier.

Ramp checks are pretty simple unless you’re doing something really stupid. Most of us reserve really stupid for remote airports where nobody’s around.

Get chippy with a law guy? He may make a call and get a warrant. I don’t need the hassle. Being friendly and polite is much easier.

Are you saying you have been stupid?:lol:

I also seem to reserve the best landings for when alone also.:oops:

Back