• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Worlds fastest Supercub??

flynlow

FRIEND
Fowler, Ks
I check pastures/cows just north of the Oklahoma panhandle. 30 miles one way....this morning it took awhile to get down there from the north so I was flynlow. The winds are supposed to get sporty this afternoon 45 mph plus.

Coming back I climbed to 2500'agl (5000' msl) and pushed the levers forward.....159.85 mph gps….thinking of putting a V tail on this thing.

Whats the fastest ground speed ya'll have seen.

West to East---North Dakota---156 mph in the old "12" ---just glad I wasn't trying to go west----Then there was the old T-cart from Denver Front Range to New Richmond, Wi.---147 mph all the way:smile:

Not ground speed, but... Where’s AK PA-18? I recall a story about the dive tests during his Thrustline STC flight testing.
What about slowest ground speed? I remember the first time I watched a Cub fly by backwards.

A few years back picked up a friend in San Angelo TX. On the way back
at 9,500 ft seeing 168kts. Called Houston app for direct through,
he wanted to know type and if I planned to remain at 9,500. After I replied
supercub and yes to 9,500 there was a long pause before he cleared
me. Seemed kinda funny at the time, I’m sure it was out of the ordinary for him.

A little known statistic that I find interestsing is this. A very generic Experimental Bearhawk Patrol (Same engine, Same wing area, same fuselage construction method, Similar mission as a Super Cub), no wheel pants, O-360, CS prop was achieving 141 mph (True Airspeed) at 8000' 18 years ago. With a CS prop, they all are that fast, some faster.

There's a guy posts on here with a gorgeous PA-11 he rebuilt a few years ago. Lives in SE Idaho. Saw him at Oshkosh last year, and asked him how the flight out was....his response: "One day, with one fuel stop.". Said he was at 146 knots over the ground the whole way at 9500 msl.

Years ago, one of our pilots took our turbine converted Beaver to LA for some kind of certification exercise. It was on wheels at the time. This airplane (the one in the overhead of the ANC airport now) is a DHC-2, MK I Beaver, equipped with a Garret TPE 331 turbine. Plane also has buckets of fuel, with a wet wing, plus belly tanks.

Pilot looked at winds aloft, and filed for FL 220. I forget exactly what speed he was making, somewhere well over 200 knots anyway, but he did say when he checked in with Seattle Center, the controller asked him to verify aircraft type, to which he replied "DHC-2 Mk I." and there was a really long pause.....He made it to LA area with one fuel stop in SEA area.

MTV

Not ground speed, but... Where’s AK PA-18? I recall a story about the dive tests during his Thrustline STC flight testing.
What about slowest ground speed? I remember the first time I watched a Cub fly by backwards.
I believe it was 1.2 times vne sticks in my head. 180 is the speed I remember. A few surprises for me. One was how easily it gathered up that airspeed. Not that steep of angle and way back on throttle to not overspeed. Another was how quiet it became in the cockpit. I swear you could've talked normal voice without headsets and have been heard. Talked to Pro Pilot Brian about it later. He said it was aerodynamic blockage by the prop---quite common. I would not do this maneuver at home.

I believe it was 1.2 times vne sticks in my head. 180 is the speed I remember. A few surprises for me. One was how easily it gathered up that airspeed. Not that steep of angle and way back on throttle to not overspeed. Another was how quiet it became in the cockpit. I swear you could've talked normal voice without headsets and have been heard. Talked to Pro Pilot Brian about it later. He said it was aerodynamic blockage by the prop---quite common. I would not do this maneuver at home.
Do you mean 110% Vne? That would be Vd.

I remember picking my "New to Me Super Cub" up in Yankton and seeing 154 mph ground speed.
20141013_112037.jpg

Attachments

• 20141013_112037.jpg
    20141013_112037.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 1,345
I saw a top ground speed of 242 knots in my normally aspirated A36 at 11000 on Friday the 6th flying from Minnesota to Florida. That is a 72 knot tail wind! Would of hated trying to of been going north.

Saw over 320 knots on the DME. Flying turbo 210 southbound in vicinity of Salmon, Idaho. IFR in CAVU conditions at 15,000 feet. Slowly rolled in trim both ways over the course of 30 minutes. Very smooth. Looked at the sectional chart and confirmed nearly six miles a minute. Short time later asked controller how fast I was going. 240 knots near Jerome, Idaho. Refueled in Burley. Total flight time from Kalispell to Tucson: three hours and fifteen minutes. Return flight a few days later - dead calm.

Santa Barbara to Phoenix at 15k
in a Maule M7
D212251F-1B39-4722-AA1A-EE1CD1220A58.jpeg

Attachments

• D212251F-1B39-4722-AA1A-EE1CD1220A58.jpeg
    D212251F-1B39-4722-AA1A-EE1CD1220A58.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 188
Focus people. I have met plenty of folks who have gone supersonic and even a shuttle pilot who can probably trump everyone here but the question was fastest Super Cub.....

Besides, I own a Husky which we ALL know is faster......... lol....

Focus people. I have met plenty of folks who have gone supersonic and even a shuttle pilot who can probably trump everyone here but the question was fastest Super Cub.....

Anyone who has pondered the aerodynamic qualities of a Maule would agree that 191 knots IS the equivalent of supersonic flight.

This started out as a Super Cub site but someone let the riff raff in. ;) 8)

There was a Super Cub in our family when I first joined (20 years ago under a different user name) so I am not all bad......8)
It is all good, I only had a Super Cub project up until a little over 6 years ago. We are all so inter twinned it is insane.

Back