• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Greg's Supercub Build

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Just an update. It's been a while. I have been plugging away at it. I have been so blessed with help from the A / P's at Chickasha Wings. Mitch Barry, Jonah and Brad. Also help from Flight instructor John and Also my friend and New to him J3 owner Jim. I would like to give a Big thank you to my new friend Barry who even took a day off without pay to help me time my Mags and install the prop along with a few other little project. He surprised me by telling me we can get more done on his Christmas days off.
How nice is that.

I have been working on The Engine, flaps, panel, wiring and painting small parts. We are inching up on the first run on the engine. That is going to be cool. Here are a few pics. Merry Christmas my friends. Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,257
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,240
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,228
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,142
Man-O-Man… Son, I'd about forgot about you. It's sure looking good and what a bunch of progress you've made. Golly, what a great airplane and owner! For such a simple airplane, these things are nothing more than concentrated areas of detail. Keep-a-goin' son!

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpgpic4.jpeg

Folks, just a few pictures for those that are interested. Tried to post today's oil pressure and oil priming video but I couldn't get it on here. I have good oil pressure though. Happy for that. I'm replacing the starter relay. The new one I have wants to stick. Ordered a high quality replacement today. Steve if you can get the video on Facebook to post on here I would appreciate it for those who don't carry Facebook. Anyway getting real close to the first run! Have a good weekend. Greg

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 117
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 128
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 123
  • pic4.jpeg
    pic4.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 158
Greg,
Looking great Buddy! What do you lack? Sure can't be much. Keep up the excellent work. Looking forward to the first flight vid :). Jon

My list is getting shorter. I need to safety wire 6 more turnbuckles, replace the starter relay, install the 3 pulley covers on the floor, final install on the windows and interior trim, final install on the front seat, bleed the brakes (tank is bolted to the seat post), weigh it and run it. I have started on the paperwork for the FAA but I'm a long way from my comfort zone on the paper work. Hoping for a little help from my friends there. Hey I maybe test taxiing before the end of the month if all goes better than I hope. Would sure love to get it all done and make Ok18 on Memorial week end. I'm turning 50 that Friday. Would definitely be a celebratory flyin for me! I'll get off here. Thank you guys and gals. Greg

It's not all rosey, I post the good things. To be real i have a leaking fuel tank weld. I have had a few kicks in the gut. It is waring on me. It is rough to want to fly and just keep getting kicked in the gut. I try to listen to Bill, he says its a project that's how it goes. Tonight I can't quit thinking about all the knock downs. Tomorrow is another day, I plan to take my wife to lunch and get off the mat. I won't quit but I'm tired of waiting.

Hang in there Greg! Keep working on your punch list and one by one they'll be finished before you know it. The end goal is in sight!
windy

Very few people are willing to do what you are doing. Even fewer understand why you'd even try. Most people don't have the grit. You obviously do. I'm confident you'll be flying soon.

Thanks,

Jim

Greg, what Jim A and Windy wrote goes for me, too.

You are inspiring others with your posts and with your willingness to "air your dirty laundry". Whether people are building an aircraft, or not, each of us face struggles in our everyday lives and you are showing us not only the attractive side of making your dream come true but also the less attractive side. Your ability to face these struggles, your ability to verbalize and share your frustrations with us, serves to inspire us to get back on that horse that bucked you off and ride again.

True Grit. You've got it. These temporary setbacks will only make the final result that much sweeter.

Randy

Last edited:
Greg you're climbing a sand pile, three steps up & slide back one, you've got this. Steady progress is how you eat an elephant... Pierce has a collection of fuel tanks that can't wait to go fly just go fulfill ones dreams!

I know that feeling.... more than a few times!! Now you know the truth to the saying "90% done with 90% to go"! Somedays it seems like it'll never end, but then after a good night's sleep and a little break, it will come together nicely and the smile will come back. Hang in there!!! You're doing an awesome job, and if it was all easy, everyone would do it! Be proud of what you've accomplished!
John

Hi Greg,
Don't be discouraged for long. All things belong to the Lord... You and the airplane included. He sees the whole picture, we do not. Everything about the airplane, its construction, difficulties, and delays are known by Him, and they are in accordance with His plan and going exactly according to His schedule.

There are reasons for these delays that we don't understand, but He knows why they are necessary.

Greg,
You have come a long way since I met you at Pierce's two years ago. It looks good! Come and see me.
David Rice

Thank You. I got the tank out today. I'll pressure test it to find the leak. There is a a welder on the field who maybe willing to weld it. I'm back working my punch list. Sorry for the weak moment. I appreciate all you friends. Have a good weekend Greg

Thant you. I got the tank out today. I'll pressure test it to find the leak. There is a a welder on the field who maybe willing to weld it. I'm back working my punch list. Sorry for the weak moment. I appreciate all you friends. Have a good weekend Greg

We all need a few cloudy days to truly appreciate the sunny ones. Looks great

Glenn

Hang in there Greg, I am sure it will be worth it!
Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IT.....IS......ALIVE!!!!!

Success! After 3.5 years Greg is no longer making engine noises with his mouth, it's the real deal folks. Way to go Greg, one more step closer to your birthday at OK18. Your perseverance is to be admired. CONGRATS!!!

Greg, THAT WAS TERRIFIC! Wow, you are such a DUDE! Thanks for the update.

I am so happy for you. Congratulations.

I can't wait to go for a ride with you.

Randy

Congratulations, Greg! What a sweet post, Sir!

Very, very proud of you. Thanks for sharing the good news!

Randy

Way to go Buddy! Wallow in the success, then on toward the finish line. Proud of your accomplishments. Looking forward to the first flight vid. Jon

IMG_1099.jpg

Friends, Taxied her and the engine ran much smoother after putting new plugs in. I had little to no spark when I tested the old ones, even after gapping and cleaning them. I'm starting to wrap my head around the FAA paperwork. I have been able to get some help figuring the paper work out from my friend. Getting Closer. Weight and Balance Next. Thats the update for those who are interested. Have a good weekend Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 183
Thank You. Friends, I have a question. First Time Builder. I was reading the EAA Step by Step certificate guide that I just ubtained. "Mistake"... I did reserve my N number a month or so ago. I have not mailed my Aircraft Registration in yet with the 5 dollars. I just read in the EAA guide it is recommended to mail it 90 to 120 days in advance of the airworthiness inspection... If I have to wait it out I will :(. My question is will FAA inspector still ispection with the pink copy if the permanent registration is not issued. Would appreciate your educated thoughts. Greg

Greg,
I don't have a direct answer to your question as some hopefully will, but when I did mine ten years ago, the DAR was very helpful and specific about how he wanted the paperwork done. It worked out very well and quickly by following his guidance.

Very excited for you!
Mark

I expedited my paperwork by using a title company (can't remember there name but can get it if you want it). They charged 125.00 but it was done 2 days after they received all my information through Fedex overnight. It was worth not having to wait in my opinion.

Back