• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sutton Exhaust vs. Rubbert Exhaust

AZinAK

FRIEND
There is quite a bit of information out there on the Sutton exhaust to include in this forum. It is the exact opposite for Randy Rubbert's exhaust offering. From what I've pieced together, it is very similar to the Sutton design but a little smaller diameter muffler/shroud size which eliminates the potential cowling channel interference. I see may praises for the Rubbert's designs and craftmanship and an upgraded Sutton exhaust design has me intrigued. One of the big questions for me is if you can get the additional heat bands installed to the muffler body for increased heat output like you can with Sutton? I have subpar carb heat and cabin heat currently with my stock exhaust. I also assume the Rubbert exhaust gets rid of the 100 hour inspection as well? Thank you for any info in advance!

No 100hr inspection. By far the lightest/best exhaust on the market. Slightly less heat than a hot rod IMO but only can I’ll ever use (till the next best comes out). Been running them for years (FA’d before the stc). Better mouse trap. Buy it and try it.

Does anyone know the supposed benefits besides clearance that the Rubbert has over the Sutton? The Rubbert utilizes a bunch of rivet heads for heat transfer to the passing air for cabin heat it looks like. Curious as to how that fairs compared to the Sutton heat ribbons? Also, does anyone know if the Rubbert gets rid of the AD? One of my big boxes to check is heat production as I live and fly in Alaska.

Last edited:
RR uses studs welded to muffler for extra heat retention and the stack that comes out of the cylinders I believe is a little shorter so it does not rub the lower cowl channel,,, carb heat is taken off the right hand stack and 3 inch hole in the nose bowl charges the can, I have lots of heat for front and rear and defrost .. I have found the system will keep me warm at 20 below f.
no problem.

I switched from the Sutton to the Rubbert because of clearance issues. 0360. Have had no problems. Also had Rubbert build me a new lower cowl. They originally built the penn yan lower cowls which I have. Everything fit perfect. The exhaust is Stc’d. for most years (faa screwup). But you can get a field approval for years they left out (you’ll have to ask Rubbert) which Rubbert set up. Easy deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched from the Sutton to the Rubbert because of clearance issues. 0360. Have had no problems. Also had Rubbert build me a new lower cowl. They originally built the penn yan lower cowls which I have. Everything fit perfect. The exhaust is Stc’d. for most years (faa screwup). But you can get a field approval for years they left out (you’ll have to ask Rubbert) which Rubbert set up. Easy deal.

Holy smoke, I thought you spent all your time rattling your brain with that whirlybird thang and had moved on to the Hiller forums.

Ha. There are no Hiller forums. It’s been a hoot, checked it off my bucket list, gonna let it go. Just been busy with new granddaughters, building a cabin next to our house, and trying find a problem I can call you about.

In other words your lonely and come back to SuperCub.org :)
Grandkids are fun, especially when like like landing on gravel bars and throwing rocks in the river.
PXL_20221129_232236150~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221129_232236150~2.jpg
    PXL_20221129_232236150~2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 60
^^^^Steve, get a fish pole for those river trips. There must be something worth eating down there.

Gary

My last cub rebuild has the Leading edge exhaust ( now bought an made by power flow)

It has the secondary heat muff on the main muffler body with the rear seat mod I can cook the rear passenger right out.

I made a point of building a tight cub but never expected this , it is the warmest aircraft I have ever flown in at - 20 I have to turn the front heater down or open the vent.

We totally overshot what we aimed for but in a good way.

Not trying to hi jack the tread but this one has the most heat I know of.

Back