• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PIPER AIRCRAFT CORPORATION SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 706B 60764-03 Support Plate

chadden

Ireland
Hi All
Can anybody tell me where I can find Piper part no 60764-03 Support Plate
I have searched Univair and Aircraft Spruce web catalogues to no avail.

see attached IMG_4988.jpg
View attachment PIP_SB0706B.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 343
  • PIP_SB0706B.pdf
    370.5 KB · Views: 281
The original tabs just welded on where separate and would break one pice is stronger and better. Most stuff up here was corrected along the way.
DENNY

Its a plate to reinforce the lower tailbrace wire attachment tabs. Apparently due to corrosion these have been known to depart with variable consequences.
First mentioned in an FAA AD 81-06-08 dated Nov 19 1981
It is also mentioned with an included drawing in the Piper SERVICE BULLETIN NO. 706B dated Oct 1991 (PDF enclosed in my first post)
The Piper service bulletin mentions the serial numbers affected but it is probably a good idea to fit one even if you don't have one of the examples mentioned.
We operate two PA-18 180hp glider tugs, one has the mod and the other doesn't so I want to level up.
Towing gliders at full throttle all the time with the extra slipstream of the 180 puts a lot of stress on the tail structure in general.
CH

Got it. I have seen the single plate mod spanning the brace wire attach points. I just hadn't seen the more elaborate T shaped plate.

Yup. 2 separate tabs only welded to longerons. They might depart due to rust on or in longerons. New fuselages have one piece so not needed. I have a doubler or 2 laying around. I don’t put them on new fuselages without the flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

As I recall the reason for this AD (we were told back then) was that cracks were being found in the fuselages after tig welding was introduced into the build process. Does anyone know when this happened?

The earlier cubs did not apply, so what would the difference be? I have an 18A (not applicable by serial number) in the shop now that the tabs attach at the longerons, but also wrap to the center around a 1/2 inch connecting tube. Looks plenty strong to me. Did piper change from this design?

A problem I’ve seen is dirt and moisture sitting on top of the junction between the tab and the longeron causing corrosion and pitting. The couple SuperCub frames I’ve redone, when replacing the lower longeron sections here, I make a strap that goes across similar to the Piper drawing, but haven’t had the tail that goes back to the tail spring bolt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a new one, never used, Univar with part number on it. Its been in my spare parts stock for years, don't think I will ever need it, have a new fuselage. PM me if someone wants to buy it. $30 and I will mail it USPS to US address.

The original Piper ones are drilled to each specific airframe and one off one plane will not fit another. I have several from Super Cubs I have rebuilt. Li,e to see an AMOC for the AC on fuselage where you replace those finger brackets with a solid one.

Steve, they were airplanes outside the serial effectivity of the AD, so no AMOC needed. I think I just referenced AC43.13-1 Chapter 4 as my approved data. It was about 30 years ago.

if still have one how much?
Thanks,
Ed

I still have one, undrilled, Univair part number stamped on it.
You can PM me. However I would not be able to ship until the 22nd as I’m out at my cabin until my COVID-19 vaccine shot on the 22nd.

You can PM me. However I would not be able to ship until the 22nd as I’m out at my cabin until my COVID-19 vaccine shot on the 22nd.

enjoy cabin quarantining!!

Can't figure out how to find your private email address. Anyway I'll take part after your second shot if someone else has not got it. I can paypal money.
Ed (Sneek)

..... I’m out at my cabin until my COVID-19 vaccine shot on the 22nd.

I assume that you're either a first responder, or in a high-risk category.
I'm looking forward to getting a vaccination, but I don't quite fit into any of the special categories.
Plus live out in a rural county (don't know if that'll be a plus or minus re getting a shot)
So I have no idea when I'll finally be able to get one.

I assume that you're either a first responder, or in a high-risk category.
I'm looking forward to getting a vaccination, but I don't quite fit into any of the special categories.
Plus live out in a rural county (don't know if that'll be a plus or minus re getting a shot)
So I have no idea when I'll finally be able to get one.

Seniors over 65 are second group in Alaska and vaccinations started on the 10th.

My Super Cub that is currently being rebuilt, also falls outside the serial number range to which the SB applies, but yesterday I picked up that the little carry through tube running between the 2 welded tabs, is almost corroded through. I know I can use the bracket as specified in the SB, but that seems more like a fix for a covered and operating AC, where no welding is required. Since I have a bare frame I would prefer welding something into place, what is the best approach?

I like the idea of removing the 2 tabs and replacing with a single/solid tab that runs right through from one side to another, but not sure what type of approval is required (cub is certified). Also, if one uses a single / solid bracket that is welded to the frame, must that little tube be welded back into place or must it be removed completely?

Thanks

Univair and Airframes use a solid fitting on their fuselages. There is a drawing in the Northland drawings by part number. I order the fitting from Univair and install it.

Univair and Airframes use a solid fitting on their fuselages. There is a drawing in the Northland drawings by part number. I order the fitting from Univair and install it.

Thanks Steve.
do you order the normal service bulletin part? Like this one:
https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-pa-18/view-all/u60764-002-piper-support-plate/

if so, is it not supposed to just fit loosely under current tabs and pinched between fuselage and tail spring? Or do you weld it in place? If so do you still have that small tube carry through between lower longerons?

J80292-001, you will probably have to call or email them because it is not on their website.
PXL_20210409_121808752.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_121808752.jpg
    PXL_20210409_121808752.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 152
Don't weld longitudinal, the bending force of the tabs can crack. Weld to the tube between the two longerons.

We have a 1953 PA18 that was modified to a PA18 “150” in 1980. At some point in time, the affected tabs were put together as one continuous plate and welded to the airframe. The serial number range listed in the AD does not apply to our aircraft (but it wouldn’t), since the PA18-150 listed is the originally-typed (not modified) aircraft. I would like to inquire how other IAs would look at this (sign it off as S/N not affected, apply for an AMOC, or just install the plate and move on)?

Back