• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Yes, I know Australia is the driest continent in the world.

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
But what are my amphib options for an experimental Javron cub? I have no idea of any of the manufactures or kits? Maybe there is a thread here with comparisons but I can’t find it.

Colin

Montana Floats

2400-amphib-aircraft-floats-Montana-Float-Company-960x350.jpg

https://montanafloat.com

Excellent performance on the water and in the air.

Colin

Here is a great thread with a lot of float info

https://www.supercub.org/forum/show...erforming-Floats&highlight=Bill+floats+Clamar

My opinions

Take with a salt lick (a large block of salt used primarily for cattle). I have flown EDO, Clamar, Wip, Baumann, Czech, Montana (and Aerocett on a C-185)

I do NOT recommend the Zenair (Czech) floats. The performance is abysmal, and I have NEVER heard anyone say they would build another set.
The Montana performs great but the lockers are so small you can barely get a rope in there let alone anything else, and the round tops are easy to slide off of.
The Clamars seem to be pretty good, but maybe do not come off the water as quick as some others, but generally good. Big lockers
The Wips seems to work well. Flat tops, good sized lockers, good water handling
PK has recently come out with a Supercub sized amphib float. Looks good, but I have no experience. Jim Crane has a set. I hope to see and fly them this fall in Maine.
There are a few Baumann sets out there. Great float but no support at this point.

Just my opinion and I will be the first to say I have little experience.

Hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
The Montana performs great but the lockers are so small you can barely get a rope in there let alone anything else, and the round tops are easy to slide off of.
Bill
Sorry Bill, You keep saying the Montanas have rounded tops. They do not, they are flat. Outboard of the walking space they do have curved sides which does provide better in flight stability characteristics than the floats which you have on your Cub. I just finished fitting a set of Montanas on a Bearhawk Patrol. The locker covers may be smaller than yours, but there is a lot of space inside.

Last edited:
If weight matters, Here is the info I found, could be wrong:

Aerocet 2200 on a PA-18 = 265 pounds

Aqua-2200 on PA-18 = 305 pounds

Baumann 2100s on a PA-18 = 247 pounds

Clamar 2180 Electric drive Amphibs= 356 pounds on Experimental PA-18

EDO 2000s on a PA-18 = 255 to 265 pounds

Montana 2200a:
They also include electric/ hydraulic pump and backup hand pump.They weigh 395 pounds with landing gear/rigging ready to mount.

PK-2050 on cert PA-18 = Installed Weight: 275lbs

new PK 2050a = 375 lbs

PK 2250 amphibs 413 lbs

Wipline 2100s on PA-18 = 280 pounds

Wipline Amhibs on PA-18 = 430 pounds

Jeez I think I forgot something important. Can anyone enlighten me on how hi a PA18 stand on amphibs. Maybe it won’t fit into my hangar. Now that would be embarrassing.

Colin

Jeez I think I forgot something important. Can anyone enlighten me on how hi a PA18 stand on amphibs. Maybe it won’t fit into my hangar. Now that would be embarrassing.

Colin
10- 1/2 feet clearance should do it, providing your ramp is level with the floor. If the ramp slopes down hill put the plane in nose first. Depending upon the ramp slope, going in tail first can raise the tail a lot.

Always thought Antarctica was the driest continent. Maybe just the one with the least rain/snow fall?

Web

Back