• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Battery location advice

dwm

I'd like to hear advice on battery placement. My plane has the modification for the third seat (or to carry 180lbs behind the second seat), so I don't want to put the battery there (like the original) to not use that free space, and I think after the third seat it will be too far back (?) and I prefer to use that space for light equipment. What about under the second seat, is it possible to place it there laying on its side?

I'd like to hear advice on battery placement. My plane has the modification for the third seat (or to carry 180lbs behind the second seat), so I don't want to put the battery there (like the original) to not use that free space, and I think after the third seat it will be too far back (?) and I prefer to use that space for light equipment. What about under the second seat, is it possible to place it there laying on its side?

The original battery location was aft of the MAIN original baggage compartment. That original baggage compartment IS the “third seat” in that conversion.

So, are you saying you also added an extended baggage compartment, aft of the main baggage/third seat? If so, the original battery location ABOVE that extended baggage could still work, if it wasn’t removed.

MTV

If you are considering placing the battery on it's side, be sure it is designed to allow for that.

Web

4CAFA6EC-20EC-411C-8884-A02422F4FD80.jpg

Attachments

• 4CAFA6EC-20EC-411C-8884-A02422F4FD80.jpg
    4CAFA6EC-20EC-411C-8884-A02422F4FD80.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 200
The original battery location was aft of the MAIN original baggage compartment. That original baggage compartment IS the “third seat” in that conversion.

So, are you saying you also added an extended baggage compartment, aft of the main baggage/third seat? If so, the original battery location ABOVE that extended baggage could still work, if it wasn’t removed.

MTV

That’s correct, we added an extended baggage compartment after the main one. My concern is, if I put the battery there I don’t know if I’ll have any more place (because of the weight) to use it with more stuff than just the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That’s correct, we added an extended baggage compartment after the main one. My concern is, if I put the battery there I don’t know if I’ll have any more place (because of the weight) to use it with more stuff than just the battery.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to get at. The stock battery location is a shelf ABOVE where an extended baggage would go. The weight limit on the extended baggage is seperate from the weight of the battery. So, are you worried that this would drive your CG too far aft? If so, do the math....nobody else has access to your planes W&B.

If you’re worried about weight there, install an SBS J-16 “Odyssey battery in stock location. No box needed, cause it’s sealed. No vent, and can be mounted on its side. That battery is about ten pounds lighter than stock. Here’s a link: https://www.batterymart.com/p-hawke...vf57_WVpDWiOcfWKKYl92lmao83_dneUaAq9tEALw_wcB

or, do the Atlee Dodge under seat battery STC pictured above. Uses the same battery, and shortens up cables. More cranking power. Here: https://fadodge.com/under-seat-battery-rack/

BUT FIRST, do a weight and balance calculation for each location and lightweight battery. Make your decision based on where YOUR CG will be.

MTV

Standard PA18 or a PA18A? Are you going to be loaded most flights or light. There are STCs to install it under the front seat and at the firewall. It can be installed under the back seat underseat storage as well. Cub Crafters did that a lot. I prefer the stock installation on the stock shelf aft of the stock baggage for CG reasons.

Cub Crafters back seat battery install.
PXL_20201209_172005954.jpg

PXL_20201209_191824510.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201209_172005954.jpg
    PXL_20201209_172005954.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,248
  • PXL_20201209_191824510.jpg
    PXL_20201209_191824510.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,142
Standard PA18 or a PA18A? Are you going to be loaded most flights or light. There are STCs to install it under the front seat and at the firewall. It can be installed under the back seat underseat storage as well. Cub Crafters did that a lot. I prefer the stock installation on the stock shelf aft of the stock baggage for CG reasons.

Cub Crafters back seat battery install.
View attachment 55244

View attachment 55245

Hi Steve, thank you for the pics. It is a PA18 with most of the “Alaskan mods” and it will be registered as an experimental so there’s no problem for the STC’s.

Back