• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Scott Tailwheel Eye Bolt

suupercub

FRIEND
Just installed a power winch to pull the Cub back into the hangar. Almost impossible to do by hand when it's icy. Thought installing an eye bolt would make towing much easier rather than wrapping around the tailwheel leaf. The only place I've found that "has them" is "Airfasco", and they want $250 for a single item. Said they'd have to manufacture one and would be a minimum of 10 days to get one...longer if I ordered in quantity. Well, nobody in their right mind will pay $250 for a simple eye bolt. Part#AN48-23. Anyone know where I can find one that is priced reasonably? Have tried Univair, Cub Crafters, and Aircraft Spruce. They don't have this item.

I fabricated one, but it was fretting the tailwheel yoke casting after a few years. We found a simple solution, just get a nylon web tow strap with loop ends, like a 3 foot one and just loop it around the tailspring and then run your winch clip through the two loops. Easy peasy, and no wear on damage on the tailwheel. I got a large cairbener that can clip through the loops which is fast to attach/remove and is a better fit for my winch clip.

I fabricated one, but it was fretting the tailwheel yoke casting after a few years. We found a simple solution, just get a nylon web tow strap with loop ends, like a 3 foot one and just loop it around the tailspring and then run your winch clip through the two loops. Easy peasy, and no wear on damage on the tailwheel. I got a large cairbener that can clip through the loops which is fast to attach/remove and is a better fit for my winch clip.

Thanks for the help! Had a large caribiner around the tail wheel spring and then clipped into it. Thought an eye bolt would even be easier, but fretting the tail wheel yoke casting could get very costly. A nylon web tow strap with loops sounds even better. Appreciate your suggestion.

My winch cable has a simple standard slot type hook on it. I slide that over the spring and friction keeps it there while winching. Go to hardware store and look at hooks.....find one that the slot fits the spring main leaf.

MTV

You can probably use the one for an L19. Available from Air Repair the L19, Stearman guys in I think, Mississippi. Not sure of the cost but definitely much less than $250.

Thanks for the help! Had a large caribiner around the tail wheel spring and then clipped into it. Thought an eye bolt would even be easier, but fretting the tail wheel yoke casting could get very costly. A nylon web tow strap with loops sounds even better. Appreciate your suggestion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-18-Motor...BWHZWR&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Glenn

They quit supplying those because numerous failures Skup. I would remove if someone has one. Having tailwheel go bye bye is never a good thing

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There was a thread here that made it pretty clear that the eye bolt on the tail spring is a bad idea. I had one, read the thread and promptly took it off.

Randy

Its not so much that the eyebolt bolt is a bad idea as it is that a bad bunch of them tainted the whole idea. As an engineer, a properly designed and manufactured eyebolt is perfectly safe.

IMHO
YMMV

That having been said, I dont have one due to the dubious nature of their pedigree. If one was available that met my criteria I would probably buy it.

I have a Baby Bushwheel so use a Bogert tow bar to pull my plane back into my hangar. When it's icy, I just attach the tow bar like I normally would and attach the winch cable hook to the tow bar handle. Works great.

Same as Mush, use tail wheel tow bar, winch to handle, disconnect and tail wheel is in the correct position to push back out. Simple and easy.

Icy conditions make pushing the 'plane into the hangar near impossible for me as well.

I tie a rope around the tail spring, run it thru a pulley at the back of the hangar, then out the front door to the tow hook on the front of my pick-up. Kinda red-neck, but it works.

I have a tilting lawn mower trailer with a winch that I winch the tail up onto to transport between my main work hanger and my storage hanger on the main airport. I use a short strap like Glenn posted a picture of. I wrap it around the spring against the head. Works very well.

I got lucky when my T/W bolt broke. A little scuff on the bottom of the rudder was the extent of the damage. It is now an annual replacement item for me.

Attachments

• 20150930_161226-2.jpg
    20150930_161226-2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 230
Not a farmer, but worked on them growing up.....if it works, who cares if it's pretty? I can hook up and have the plane in the hangar before you'd get those straps wrapped around the spring, and hooked up......

MTV

How long do you think it takes to wrap a strap around the tailspring,
and hook the drumline to it?
My guess is about 30 seconds.

you can make a tailwheel drager with 3/4 conduit . this is the way I do it. I have a small winch on the back wall of my hangar

20170121_112103.jpg

Attachments

• 20170121_112103.jpg
    20170121_112103.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 212
How long do you think it takes to wrap a strap around the tailspring,
and hook the drumline to it?
My guess is about 30 seconds.

At my age, every second counts. So I gain 29 seconds every time I hook up the winch.

MTV

Last edited:
Back