• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J5 Mods

gli77

SPONSOR
I've just acquired a J5 project with no logbooks, so we're going amateur built. I'm not very familiar with the J5 so I am throwing out the question of what mods or upgrades should I do?

At the moment I am thinking either a new O-200 or Lycoming O-233 for an engine.

I want to go with the J3 style open cylinder cowling and if anyone out there has a cowling for sale please pm.

Thanks

Just wondering how you plan on going EAB. Are you just using the fuselage and building your own wings and tailfeathers? Just switching it over isn't within the scope of the certification. just curious; J5 is very similar to my 2+2.
Marty57

You can't do open cowl with the O-233. (flywheel). You can't go EAB with a certified airplane,you did't build it. The J-5 is a great airplane as it is . Just restore it.

I've just acquired a J5 project with no logbooks, so we're going amateur built....
"no log books" is not going to get you anywhere. The first entry in the new log books will be: "original log book lost. Estimated total time is####." Do you have a "bill of sale" from the previous owner? If 'yes' then register it with the FAA and keep going. If not, do you have the 'data plate'? If you do, go to http://www.faa.gov/ look up the J-5 listing and find your serial number and who the previous listed owner is. Get a bill of sale from that person.

As the others have said, this airplane as a complete J-5 modified to your desires is NOT eligible for an Experimental-Amateur Built Certificate. If in doubt go to your local FAA FSDO for guidance. It is one of their job requirements to help you in matters such as this.

Why can't he do experimental? Call it a GLI 77. You should not go to the FAA for an opinion, because most do not know and will just turn you down. Read the regulations, be friendly and tell them what you are doing and what you are entitled to recieve.

He can do Experimental, just not Experimental Amateur-Built. There are several categories of Experimental. All of which are more restrictive than Amateur-Built. Like you say, read the regulations. If he does, then if and when he wants to sell it, he will find that it is worth a lot less.

I suppose I should've included that neither the airplane nor I am in the US.

I'm looking for info from those who experience on the J5 as to what good mods/upgrades should be done?

Thanks

I suppose I should've included that neither the airplane nor I am in the US.

I'm looking for info from those who experience on the J5 as to what good mods/upgrades should be done?

Thanks
In that case, of course you will have to use the guidelines of your country's regulations. I have converted J-5s by installing the firewall forward from a PA-12 using an 0-235 with very satisfying results. I've also flown a stock light weight J-5 with a C-85. It's performance was excellent. As good as a J-3 for short field performance. If you are unable to locate an original open cowl you could make a nose bowl from soft aluminum and a mallet. The rest is flat sheet. Not difficult but does take some practice.

Well originally I was thinking O-200D but then looked at the O-233 and its numbers looked a bit better. But the open cowl is a must for the nostalgic look.

Why can't he do experimental? Call it a GLI 77. You should not go to the FAA for an opinion, because most do not know and will just turn you down. Read the regulations, be friendly and tell them what you are doing and what you are entitled to recieve.

The FAA doesn't have an opinion on this, it has an Advisory Circular: AC20-27G excerpt below

Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 19.18.32.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 19.18.32.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 19.18.32.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 162
The J-5 is one of the nicest flying airplanes ever, so don't screw with anything that will degrade that. You don't need flaps on a plane that already flies nicely at 50mph or less and out-slips most planes. A 3" gear extension and 29" tires are nice. Mine has an O-235 without electrical system, which seems like a nice balance. It also has VGs, but I'm not real sure what they add. It SEEMS to handle better at very low speeds (30ish) and flare with stick all the way back (it has VGs under the horizontal stabilizer), but that may just be because I want it to. You don't own one of these for cruise performance, but you will win your fair share of short landing contests and you'll always be smiling. It's a slipping fool. Oh yes, it is fabulous on skis.

Whatever you do, keep it as light as possible. They have a low gross weight as I recall.

And I totally agree with the comment about how nice they fly. I have a friend with a relatively heavy one and it still flies/feels lighter than my 12.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Now I am getting anxious to start the rebuild.

I think my first place to start is to try and source a open cowl to fabricate a new one from.

Back