• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Get Involved - BLM travel planning in SW Idaho

windknot54

Bend, OR
Lisk_Owyhee.jpg

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is beginning preparation of an environmental analysis for a proposed travel management plan (TMP) for public lands in western Owyhee County, Idaho. The Silver City Travel Management Plan (TMP) will cover the far western portion of Owyhee County, roughly south and west of Highway 78, east of the Oregon border, and north of the Backcountry Byway (Mud Flat Road). It will establish access to BLM-managed lands for multiple-use activities, while addressing concerns related to cultural resources, wildlife habitat, user conflicts, noxious weeds and invasive species.

If you are concerned about preserving aviation access to public lands, I ask that you take the time comment on this travel management plan. Even if you never plan to visit SW Idaho, your involvement will help preserve aviation access to pubic lands nationwide. To comment, please visit the link below:

https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front...tSite&projectId=98128&dctmId=0b0003e881075034

The DOCUMENTS link will take you to all the documents they have so far produced. The document of interest here is the Public Scoping Document. The map gives a good overview of the plan area.

The MAPS link is most important because it will lead you to the maps of the four alternatives under consideration. Download these maps and enlarge them. A look at the legend will show you there are two open airstrips noted in Alternative A (the NO ACTION alternative). This is the condition that currently exists.

You will note the other three alternatives propose to close the airstrip southwest of Grandview.

In terms of making comments, I encourage you to do so in a positive manner. Using your own words:

1) State that you are a pilot and that you regularly use a private aircraft to access public lands for recreation purposes. If you like camping, hunting, fishing, or whatever, go ahead and be specific.

2) Point out that aircraft have very minimal impacts on the high desert environment, as opposed to wheeled vehicles.

3) Request that aviation be identified as a valid mode of transportation access within the study area.

4) Specifically object to the closure of any existing airstrips in the study area.

The comment period closes 30 March 2018. Your support will be greatly appreciated.

Richard Mayes
Oregon State Liaison
Recreational Aviation Foundation
916-220-2041
rmayes@theraf.org | TheRAF.org
“The Recreational Aviation Foundation preserves, maintains and creates airstrips for recreational access.”

Attachments

• Lisk_Owyhee.jpg
    Lisk_Owyhee.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 899
Thanks very much for the info!
I have now given my input, and encourage everybody to take a few minutes to do the same.

not much can be said for people who own the west being controlled by feds that do not own that land!!!!
if you don't belive this ,ask the BLM or usfs to provide a deed or proof of ownership as you would if your land was in contest!!

jr. :-(

I sent comments to this email address. Be sure to sign your name & address on your email. oma_trans_wild@blm.gov

That's the address I used also.
I didn't even read the entire enviro analysis--
I just wrote my email urging them to (continue to) allow aircraft access, as a low-impact public use:

"Hi BLM:
I am a pilot who enjoys flying into the back country for camping and fishing. The use of airplanes for access into the back country has a long history. Airplane access is generally more environmentally friendly than access by car, ATV, or motorcycle-- the back country pilots I know leave nothing but their tire tracks...and not even very much of those!
I understand that BLM is in the process of developing land usage plan(s) for the Owyhee County area in Idaho. I would like to urge BLM not to close any existing airstrips in the effected area, and in fact would like to suggest that BLM consider developing some new airstrips.
Thank you for your attention,"

followed by my full name and mailing address.

Maybe not the most comprehensive letter they'll get,
but quick and easy on my end and it should get our point across.
I'm not convinced anyone pays much attention to these kinds of letters anyway--
it seems like most agencies start off on the public-input phase of a project having already decided what they want to do.
Taking public input is mostly just lip service so they can claim they care about what we think.
At best I think they might give these letters a quick read,
then just tally them up in the "for" or "agin" category.
So you gotta at least give it a shot.

Because of public interest in this issue, the BLM has extended the comment period to 13 April.

Just a gentle reminder, please take a few minutes to submit comments. Even if you never visit the area, your efforts will help preserve aviation access to our public lands nationwide.

Back