• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 headerless system

twoton

Dassel, MN
I'm in the process of a rebuild on my PA12. In regards to the fuel system I'm planning on using the Dakota Cub fuel selector since it is STC'd for the Pa12. I would like to remove the header tank and add fuel outlets to both of the standard tanks. Has anyone done this before or something similar and gotten a 337 approved?

Cub crafters does have an STC on their web site but requires the use of their fuel valve.

Dakota Cub STC

I have a friend who is installing a Dakota Cub fuel selector in his PA-12 and he tells me that there is an STC issued to Dakota Cub for the install it's STC SA02299AK issued Sept 13 2007 . Hope this helps .

header tanks

The Pa12 which I have owned since 1975 had a separate fuel selector valve for each tank and didn't have a header tank. It has had no problems with that set up.

Re: header tanks

driveacub said:
The Pa12 which I have owned since 1975 had a separate fuel selector valve for each tank and didn't have a header tank. It has had no problems with that set up.

some had them some didn't as far as I know

this one didn't have any header tanks either... so I would assume its a factory thing... I forget how the discussion went with my faa guy , but he was like, yup some didn't have them....

I bet there is a serial # range you could reference, like "updated fuel system by removing header tanks to newer design used on pa-12 ser. #xxxx to ser.#yyyy"?? and yes we are using the dakota valve also to get the 'both' stc'd, price was good too....

I had the cubcrafters STC intalled three years ago. Works great. It prevents the engine quitting when you have less that quarter tanks and are in a 30 degree turn . The tanks have fuel ports/bungs fore and aft.
On-Left- Right-Both-Off selector. There is one or two threads on this the past several years. Not a huge job. Yhe only fly in the oinment is that putting the forward port in can be a pain in the butt as old tanks have such thin walls that they are very difficult to weld. I had to replace a tank as a result.

where do you run the lines from the rear and front ports? do you run one set of fuel lines downt eh back of the door and one set down the front? I am almost onto my fuel lines and would like to do a headerless system as well.
Thank you,
Rhett

The fuel lines from the back ports of the tanks on my PA-12 run behind the passenger seat, then horizontal on the left side of the fuselage. The front port from the left tank runs down the window post. The front port from the right tank runs down the door post, then around the front of the cockpit on the cockpit side of the firewall. all of the lines slope only downward from the point that they leave the tanks to where they tie into the fuel selector valve. might get my legs a bit toasty in the unlikely event of a crash...

windy

Cubcrafters may fax you/ send you a plumbing diagram if you told them that you are considering using their STC. They are pretty accomodating.

Back