• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sport Pilot as a Bush Pilot

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Reviewing the regs as we now have them, it does not appear that there is anything to keep sport pilots from being recreational bush pilots. Of course, they can't "work" the backcountry but with a PA-11 or some such plane they could certainly see and go a lot of places that a backcountry supercub person might go.

Let say somebody wanted to promote this kind of thing, where would a guy advertise to lure in people who were the outdoorsy or sporting type that would want to learn to fly as a means to get to their destinations?

One of the problems for GA is getting in new blood. Once they get here, I think by and large they stay around. I keep mulling over how to get them here...

sj

Lots of mags have sprung up that are targeted at those types. Like National Geographic Adventure magazine, Outside mag, Sports Afield etc. I was even in a bookstore a few days ago, picked up a copy of Adventure out of curiousity, and noticed that one of the cool adventure activities listed that you can get into is "bush pilot" (alongside mountain climbing, deep scuba etc). Paged to the article only to find it mentioned simply get a pilot's license and fly a small plane.... I don't think that most of the adventure authors of these mags are aware of what bushflying entails, or the sport pilot rule.

However, it does not hurt us if the press harps on it!

I was out flying the J3 this afternoon, chasing some coyotes in a cornfield and thinking "who the heck would NOT want to do this?"...

sj

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Funniest thing I heard all day, good one Phil!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The best coyote is a lead posioned coyote with either my unregistered 22-250 or my 223 :snipersmile:

Back