• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Floats to Alaska 2022

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
Folks

I was Blessed to get to fly my Cub to Alaska once again this summer. I will post a few pictures and discussion as time allows.

I flew up the coast route on Apr 29th because that day looked best considering wind and weather. I run nonstop from Lynden ((38W), just north of Bellingham ,WA)) to Ketchikan, or to a cabin in Misty Fiords. This means I don't land in Canada so I do not have to clear customs, file eAPIS, or any of the other stuff associated with Canada. I can carry a firearm without Canadian hassle. This year, from Lynden to the Humpback Lake Cabin was 5.4 hours. I had a nice tailwind most of the way.

IMG_7797.jpeg

The lake water level was high which meant the "beach" was under water and parking was a little sketchy. Fortunately the lake is in a bowl and there was no wind to bang the floats on the rocks. It was not too bad all things considered.

IMG_7799.jpeg

This is the Humpback Lake Cabin.

IMG_7801.jpeg

Skylights in the cabin really help with the light.

The next day I flew in to Ketchikan to refuel and "make a plan" as to which cabin would be next on the list. It was a .8 flight to Ketch, so my total time from Lynden to Ketch was 6.2 hours. I put in 14.4 in the wings which means I still had 21.6 gallons. I started with 68 gallons (Fuel pod holds 32), flew 6.2 hours, burned 46.4 gallons, for a rate of 7.5 gph. I run 2400 RPM, get 102 to 103 indicated airspeed, and I do run LOP.

IMG_6623.jpeg

After fueling up in Ketch I moved to the Big Shaheen cabin on Admiralty Island. This in an older historic cabin and a great one.

IMG_7809.jpeg

The view from the front porch of the cabin.

IMG_7824.jpeg

The little Shaheen cabin sits right around the corner and so is a great location if you have more than a couple of guys. This year, Bob Breeden flew in while Zach and I were at the Big Shaheen cabin and we had a great visit. More on that later in this thread.

After a few nights in the SE part of Alaska I took Alaska Airlines up to Anchorage and attended the Alaska Airman's Trade Show.

More to follow when I have more time.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_7797.jpeg
    IMG_7797.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_7801.jpeg
    IMG_7801.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_7799.jpeg
    IMG_7799.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 666