PDA

View Full Version : PA-11 ....800x6 or 26" Airstreaks with baby bushwheel

topwater1956
05-15-2021, 09:16 PM
I just bought a PA-11 c-90 and don't have much tailwheel experience. I am fixing to start tailwheel training on a grass strip.
Which tires handle better on landing, the stock ones or the 26" Airstreaks with the baby bushwheel tail wheel? Should I wait
till after my tailwheel training to change it out or change them out now. Thanks in advance

Crash, Jr.
05-15-2021, 09:42 PM
Don't get a Baby Bushwheel tailwheel for that plane, just don't. Not only is it going to just add weight to a light tailed plane but it's just overkill. Especially if you're only going to do 26" tires it's just way overkill when you're going to be limited by your main gear tires, not your tailwheel.

Start with your 800x6's then if you want bigger tires and have the brakes to run them go straight to 29" Airstreaks. If you want big tires, go straight to properly large tires, not the smaller ones.

mvivion
05-15-2021, 10:04 PM
I agree with Crash jr. I would never put a Baby Bushwheel on an 11. I also agree that you would be best off to complete your training/familiarization on the tires you have. Then IF you feel like you need bigger tires, either of the Airstreak sizes would be great. I ran the 26 inch Streaks on my 11, and they were great.

The only thing I would change initially is if the plane does not have a 3200 tailwheel, I’d put one on it. My 11 had a Maule tailwheel and it almost put me in a snow bank on second landing. And, I’m not a newbie to tailwheels or Cubs.

learn to fly it...you’ll love it.

MTV

cubdriver2
05-15-2021, 10:55 PM
API 6131

Glenn

bob turner
05-15-2021, 11:36 PM
Glenn is right. To start, stick with 8:00s and API. I did an hour of dual instruction today on 26" tires, and shuddered at the airframe loads they seem to put on during directional excursions. That, plus they are like $1100 each, not counting the $3000 STC kit.

If you want to tear up a nice PA11 during sandbar operations, wait until you get really good with stock-size wheels, then spend the big bucks.

Opinion. 6,000 Cub hours.

alaskadrifter
05-16-2021, 02:22 AM
It really depends on what your intended use is. If you're on pavement a lot then stick with 8.00s or 8.50s, if you plan on using it for real off airport flying then 26 Airstreaks are great.

cubdriver2
05-16-2021, 07:45 AM
First thing, what size wheels do you have? The original 4" or changed to 6"?

Glenn

1934A
05-16-2021, 08:03 AM
No point in wearing out a set of Airstreaks while you're learning to fly a tailwheel. Stick with the 8.00's for now. I agree with the previous comments, absolutely no need for a baby bushwheel tailwheel on a PA-11.

topwater1956
05-16-2021, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Greatly appreciated

JP
05-17-2021, 03:02 PM
I notice a lot of J-3 strokers and -11s with the aero classic/dresser smooth tundra tires 850 by 6 4 ply 22" tires. Seem to be pretty popular. They don't weigh a lot. Appear to hold up well and certainly widen the scope of fields that can be attempted. And a 3200 is a great idea. Just make sure it is Ford Proof.

cubdriver2
05-17-2021, 03:10 PM
I notice a lot of J-3 strokers and -11s with the aero classic/dresser smooth tundra tires 850 by 6 4 ply 22" tires. Seem to be pretty popular. They don't weigh a lot. Appear to hold up well and certainly widen the scope of fields that can be attempted.

But if you have good brakes you better screw them on

Glenn

OLDCROWE
05-17-2021, 03:16 PM
I just bought a PA-11 c-90 and don't have much tailwheel experience. I am fixing to start tailwheel training on a grass strip.
Which tires handle better on landing, the stock ones or the 26" Airstreaks with the baby bushwheel tail wheel? Should I wait
till after my tailwheel training to change it out or change them out now. Thanks in advanceDon't learn with cushy tires, it will spoil you. A PA-11 on mowed grass is a dream.

After that what's your mission? Soft stuff (like sand or a soggy grass) or rough and tumble (I want to land any place I can until I have to call for evac.)

This stuff is expensive and it's all about what you need. I work with a guy that will never fly rough stuff but is looking at changing his TW Pacer to a wide-fork tail wheel with a blimp tire and putting 8:50 smoothies up front just so he won't get stuck when he taxi's to the runway at his soggy airpark. Otherwise he'll be on pavement most of his travels and Bush Wheels would be a crying waste.

behindpropellers
05-17-2021, 04:45 PM
AvGas. Don't buy anything but AvGas. Learn to fly it before you spend $$. $$ does not replace skill.