• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thoughts on building a PA 12 LSA legal ?

It can't be a PA-12 as the gross weight would disqualify it. You'd need to build your own experimental build "kit" and set your own limits as the builder. You'll need to reconfigure the back seat, too. LSA is limited to 2 places. If you're serious you should seek out a DAR and have a chat.

Thanks; I knew it had to be a 2 seat - my understanding is the 12 was built as a 2 seat at least once from the factory, probably not a issue if building from scratch.

Any experts in around the twin cities that I could talk to?thanks

Thanks; I knew it had to be a 2 seat - my understanding is the 12 was built as a 2 seat at least once from the factory, probably not a issue if building from scratch.

My understanding is the PA12 came from the J5 which was always a three place airplane. FWIW.

If he goes exp, he, the builder, can call it whatever he wants to and set the number of seats and the gross.

I think it’s difficult to start with a certified project plane and make it experimental without some amount of difficulty. If you start from scratch it might be easier. A PA12 is a bit heavy to try to make into an LSA though? Unless the new rules get passed increasing the gross weight and allowing up to 4 place aircraft (which they are trying to do). I suppose you could try to get in under or around 900-1000 lbs ew but it would take some doing with that airframe (I think). Like Stewart says, better ask a DAR before trying to make a certified project into an experimental, not to mention trying for LSA compliance. Maybe one of our member DARs will chime in...they are the experts in this area.

Can u make a PA - 12 a LSA experimental ? Have a line on a project nearby - no engine , Thanks
One thing to keep in mind. IF any airplane has ever been certificated in any category with limit which exceed those which are in place for an LSA, it can not be converted to an LSA. You can modify an LSA to a higher gross weight, but you can not change your mind to ever go back.

Besides the legality of converting a certified airplane into an LSA I believe the PA12 would be awfully heavy to be an LSA. Wouldn't be my first choice anyway. I understand it is close and probably a good deal but what are you thinking? Rotax engine etc?

Besides the legality of converting a certified airplane into an LSA I believe the PA12 would be awfully heavy to be an LSA. Wouldn't be my first choice anyway. I understand it is close and probably a good deal but what are you thinking? Rotax engine etc?
Maybe I should wait for a 11 project to show up? I don’t want to have 6 figures into a plane. I have a lot of toys already.
The 12 seems like a fun project, LSA rules will probably change in the next year or two allowing the weights to go up.
Big Thanks for everyone’s opinion! I am new to this.

......LSA rules will probably change in the next year or two allowing the weights to go up......

They (EAA or someone, not FAA) have been talking about a possible change for a couple years now,
I don't see much progress or have even heard what the change would likely be.
FWIW ditto for BasicMed into Canada.
I'm not holding my breath on either one.

Maybe I should wait for a 11 project to show up? I don’t want to have 6 figures into a plane. I have a lot of toys already.
The 12 seems like a fun project, LSA rules will probably change in the next year or two allowing the weights to go up.
Big Thanks for everyone’s opinion! I am new to this.

Dont count on that. Rulemaking takes time and there isn't even an NPRM out. Figure at least 5 years before you see new rules!

PA12 built light as possible about 1000 pounds, that leaves 320 for fuel and occupants. I don't want to be the buzz kill but the math is easy. That doesn't include the legality of trying to get those Piper parts past the DAR. J5 fuselage is lighter.

LSA rules will probably change in the next year or two allowing the weights to go up.

Dont count on that. Rulemaking takes time and there isn't even an NPRM out. Figure at least 5 years before you see new rules!

There is yet another fly in the ointment that most people haven't really grasped yet (or even talked about much). That is, there is a possibility that the FAA would raise the maximum weight of LSA for aircraft certification purposes, bot not for pilot operating purposes. In other words, sport pilots (including those who hold higher-level certificates but are operating at the sport pilot level) may continue to be restricted to the current limits even if they allow heavier aircraft to be certificated under LSA rules.

The bottom line is, don't pin any hopes on changes to sport pilot or LSA rules until we actually see a NPRM. Certainly don't make any monetary investments, or even decisions until we know what, if any, changes will be made.

Back