• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HDHP: Dr. Randy Corfman - 98.6 Winter Survival Medicine - Tonight! 1-13-21

I am already thiking about going swimming in icy water...

sj

Good presentation! I watched it on YouTube - Zoom doesn't work well for me (slow internet).

Interesting question: Stay with the 'plane or swim to shore? My wife and I always wear inflatable PFD's. The SOP is - SWIM! NOW!

Nobody is coming to rescue us where we fly so the less inviting option is to cling to the overturned airplane until we slowly succumb to the cold.

I was a youtube viewer too, great presentation. I learned a lot and will not only apply it to my flight planning and survival gear, but for my winter outdoor activities too. My hands were warmer skiing today and normal as I wore an extra vest to keep the core warm so my hands did not get cold.

GOOD STUFF

Thanks Randy

Good job, Dr. Randy!

Back in the mid seventies, when I was in Cold Bay, AK, researchers from the University of Victoria came to Cold Bay mid winter to experiment with cold water immersion and with equipment that could delay hypothermia. They were in the process of development of the survival suit.

Two professors from UVic arrived, along with a collection of eight graduate students. They rigged up a sling which could be dangled off the dock with a graduate student strapped in so that they couldn't fall off the sling.

Then, they dipped the students into the water, which was right at 33 to 34 degress F. The students were equipped with a rectal thermometer to monitor body temperature.

Experiments started with students wearing normal clothing, including a jacket, then progressed through various experimental designs including various floatation devices, a floatation jacket developed for deck wear, and finally a survival suit.

I've forgot the numbers, but when a student's core temperature dropped a few degrees, they were pulled out of the water. The next student, with the next equipment, was "plugged" with a thermometer and dipped. Etc.

It was a pretty entertaining show to watch. The final stage was to dip each of the students while wearing the survival suit, a full on device developed for long term cold water immersion. Longest a student was dangled off the dock in that suit was around 11 hours, and his body temp still hadn't dropped....it was just dinner time.....

This research proved the value of the survival suit and a few other appliances that could significantly extend survival in cold water.

Mostly, to me at least, it proved unequivically that graduate students will do almost anything to gain favor with their graduate committee and make a few bucks.

Thanks Randy....

MTV

"Mostly, to me at least, it proved unequivically that graduate students will do almost anything to gain favor with their graduate committee and make a few bucks."

And as the saying goes in academia, you wouldn't want to waste a lab rat when you've got so many grad students...

That said, great presentation, Randy: Best of several I've seen on the topic.

Thanks. cubscout

Back