PDA

View Full Version : Bushwheels

Clearprop!
12-30-2020, 07:41 PM
I have yet to see any J-3 with oversized Tundra/Bushwheels.

What is the biggest tire size the J-3 could run with?

Sent from my SM-G950F using SuperCub.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93960)

Grant
12-30-2020, 07:52 PM
These are 29" Airstreaks on a J3 I finished this year for a customer and they are more than enough....

Clearprop!
12-30-2020, 07:55 PM
These are 29" Airstreaks on a J3 I finished this year for a customer and they are more than enough....

53387Exactly what I needed to know, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950F using SuperCub.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93960)

Steve Pierce
12-31-2020, 09:13 AM
My brother ran 29" Airstreaks on a 90 hp J3. Best gravel bar airplane out there for getting into and out of places.

Crash, Jr.
12-31-2020, 11:14 AM
Legally you can run up to a 31" Bushwheel on a J3 per the STC...but I wouldn't. As others have said the 29" Airstreaks are the way to go. There's little difference between the 29" Airstreak and 31" Bushwheel except a deceptively small size difference, 6lbs per tire, and $300 per tire.

On the other hand as far as looks go the 26's look just "right" on a J3. Bigger tires (while they work better off airport) just make the cub look like it's trying too hard. Like a kid running around in dad's shoes.

BTW there are quite a few pictures of J3's on big tires, I think I have a few on here of mine on 26's and there are quite a few online on Instagram if you search for J3's on Airstreaks

Steini
01-05-2021, 02:07 PM
31 looks about right.

aktango58
01-05-2021, 09:57 PM
A friend used 8:50x6 tires to keep the weight down on his 90 hp J-3. He did an incredible amount of off airport work with it.

akomara1
03-30-2021, 06:02 PM
Not sure what the 29ís and 31ís weigh, but the 8.50ís I used to have on mine were 6ply and weighed 16lbs each (Air Tracís). I just put these aero classic smoothies on there at 22Ē tall and weight in at 10lbs each. The 4 ply makes them so smooth. Iím looking to sell the Air Tracs btw. 55009

cubdriver2
03-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Just put my 25 back on

Glenn

Grant
03-30-2021, 07:48 PM
Just put some smooth 8.50s on this cub that I fly. They seem to be about perfect for an all stock J3...

Steve Pierce
03-30-2021, 08:53 PM

courierguy
03-30-2021, 09:33 PM
Just got the RANS back on the 29's, a rite of spring. Don't have to duck anymore walking under the wing. Those are 6:00's on the left, for the Datum skis.

Crash, Jr.
03-31-2021, 12:28 AM
Just got my little cub on new 29's with fancy tire stickers. Going through quite a few upgrade/maintenance items in preparation for summer.

akomara1
03-31-2021, 07:56 AM
Nice setup crash! That’s a lot of weight for tires though! I love the belly pod on that thing and am curious if there’s an STC for it or if your going experimental. The one downfall to the j3 as far as camping goes is the luggage space, and I can’t really find a good easy fix for extended baggage.

G44
03-31-2021, 08:22 AM
Crash,

A friend of mine just ordered stickers for his new 29’s. I was wondering how difficult/easy are they to install? Any tricks or cautions to be aware of?

Thanks

Kurt

cubdriver2
03-31-2021, 09:05 AM
Nice setup crash! That’s a lot of weight for tires though! I love the belly pod on that thing and am curious if there’s an STC for it or if your going experimental. The one downfall to the j3 as far as camping goes is the luggage space, and I can’t really find a good easy fix for extended baggage.

Cover the front stick socket and unhook the rudder and brake rods. You can load floor to skylight

Glenn

mvivion
03-31-2021, 09:13 AM
Just got my little cub on new 29's with fancy tire stickers. Going through quite a few upgrade/maintenance items in preparation for summer.

Ah another Brittany fan! Great dogs. Oh, and nice looking Cub, too.....

MTV

Crash, Jr.
03-31-2021, 09:49 AM

Thanks! The pod is erm...."Alaska legal". Plan on working with a DER to get a field approval this summer but in the mean time I justify it by the fact that you can't actually fit the minimum required survival gear in the stock baggage. The tires aren't too bad considering the size. 23lbs each for the old 26 Goodyears that came off (tire and tube) and 28lbs each for these new Airstreaks. Plane was 765 in the W&B before and now will calculate to probably 800 or thereabouts after the pod, tires, and tailwheel. Actual weight is probably in the 850lb range empty.

Crash, A friend of mine just ordered stickers for his new 29’s. I was wondering how difficult/easy are they to install? Any tricks or cautions to be aware of?

The tire stickers were surprisingly easy but there is some pitfalls. The tires grow quite a bit and the spacing between letters changes as you change pressure. The stickers are cut out on the backer for kind of a low-ish pressure, I think mine lined up best at around 2-3 psi. I just mounted the wheels (so you don't damage the tire with pressure) then played with the pressure until things lined up. Tried to get fancy with spreading the glue out perfectly with a brush but it didn't improve anything. Just follow the directions that they come with and it works out great. If you get too much glue in one spot though it can cause a dark spot on the letter so watch out for that. Oh, and I should mention the tire stickers are only made for newer tires. The Bushwheel letter font/size changed in 2014 and the Airstreaks in 2017 so they only work on tires made after then.

Cover the front stick socket and unhook the rudder and brake rods. You can load floor to skylight, Glenn

But then where would the dog sit? ;-)

Colorado-Cub
03-31-2021, 10:53 AM
If they made 31" Airstreaks, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Until then, another J3(ish) on 29s:

(I use mesh cargo net above the rear baggage to emulate a pod, but a carbon pod like Crash's is on my short list...)

BTV
03-31-2021, 01:03 PM
Another option is to find a set of 31ís that are about worn out. I just put a set on a new to me -18 with c90. They weigh 29# each and should last a long time on a light cub.

KevinJ
03-31-2021, 02:09 PM
Another option is to find a set of 31’s that are about worn out. I just put a set on a new to me -18 with c90. They weigh 29# each and should last a long time on a light cub.
Ive got a patch kit my cub. Remind me to throw a bike pump in;-)

RaisedByWolves
03-31-2021, 03:08 PM
Donít be causing trouble and blaming joe with that paint job now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTV
03-31-2021, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=RaisedByWolves;800877]Donít be causing trouble and blaming joe with that paint job now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Itís called plausible deniability. Imagine the fun I can have in Eatonís neck of the woods!

Crash, Jr.
03-31-2021, 05:08 PM
Worn out 31's are the ultimate Airstreak. There's more than one pilot around that has a set of "competition tires" that are missing a few lbs of tread.

TurboBeaver
04-01-2021, 04:46 AM
If your doing a bunch of steep sidehill strips
this may be an answer��

akomara1
04-01-2021, 09:35 AM
If they made 31" Airstreaks, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Until then, another J3(ish) on 29s:

(I use mesh cargo net above the rear baggage to emulate a pod, but a carbon pod like Crash's is on my short list...)

got any pics of your net setup?

Colorado-Cub
04-01-2021, 09:57 AM
got any pics of your net setup?

None handy, but easy enough to describe:

Take one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089R53FGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and you can clip it to fuselage tubes in various configurations. I store soft stuff like sleeping bags or hammocks between it and the turtle deck area and the cargo net essentially compresses everything to the ceiling. If I need more room, I clip it to the rear seat tubes and create a divider of sorts. A few carabiners and a bit of cursing and most everything stays where it was supposed to, even when crossing the Rockies in an underpowered kite of an aircraft.

courierguy
04-01-2021, 10:13 AM
If your doing a bunch of steep sidehill strips
this may be an answer😳

Took me a while to understand your post, until I noticed the tires.....as luck would have it, my first back on the bushtires landing was this site yesterday, and I did my quick turnaround at the top to the left so the small tire on the right/big tire on the right setup would have been a perfect setup. it sure feels good to be back on "real" tires, and to have brakes again.

akomara1
04-01-2021, 10:45 AM
None handy, but easy enough to describe:

Take one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089R53FGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and you can clip it to fuselage tubes in various configurations. I store soft stuff like sleeping bags or hammocks between it and the turtle deck area and the cargo net essentially compresses everything to the ceiling. If I need more room, I clip it to the rear seat tubes and create a divider of sorts. A few carabiners and a bit of cursing and most everything stays where it was supposed to, even when crossing the Rockies in an underpowered kite of an aircraft.

Nice thanks man! Got one on order from eBay.

Colorado-Cub
04-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Took me a while to understand your post, until I noticed the tires.....as luck would have it, my first back on the bushtires landing was this site yesterday, and I did my quick turnaround at the top to the left so the small tire on the right/big tire on the right setup would have been a perfect setup. it sure feels good to be back on "real" tires, and to have brakes again.

Tom -- what peak is that just behind the right shoulder of your landing area?

DENNY
04-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Worn out 31's are the ultimate Airstreak. There's more than one pilot around that has a set of "competition tires" that are missing a few lbs of tread.
Gabe
Don't be giving away all the secrets!!
DENNY

courierguy
04-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Tom -- what peak is that just behind the right shoulder of your landing area?

Bannock Peak, nothing special, just looks more impressive due to the smaller terrain around it, does look pretty cool this time of year, like it's Mt. Kilamingaro or something.

IainR
04-03-2021, 02:18 AM

29's on my cub, stroker C85 now hanging on the front, waiting on a radio and paperwork then should be good to go

Crash, Jr.
04-03-2021, 11:09 AM
Wow, Iain those look great! 29's on a yellow cub look just right. That's going to be quite a machine with a stroker 85.

akomara1
04-03-2021, 11:32 AM
I dig the paint too. What process and color is that?

Crash, Jr.
04-03-2021, 10:33 PM
It does look a bit more on the "white" side of yellow but it's probably just the lighting or camera filtering. I know the tire stickers are pretty much exactly cub yellow and they look to match the paint

TurboBeaver
04-04-2021, 08:33 AM
Gabe,
Be sure to update us on how you compare your old Goodyear's to your new Airstreaks for sidewall stiffness
after you get used to them..........lol.
Dresser sent me the Goodyear's in 1990 to test them for them! I ran them for about 25 hrs on the Cub we had at the time. Then went back to my 30" (Guy Selman) Airstreaks we used to run before there was a ' Bushwheel'55092

hotrod180
04-04-2021, 10:01 AM
I'd like to order two sets of stickers:
one "26" Goodyear" & one "850 Airtrac".
Thank you.

Crash, Jr.
04-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Gabe,
Be sure to update us on how you compare your old Goodyear's to your new Airstreaks for sidewall stiffness
after you get used to them..........lol.

I can tell already it's going to be a trip flying on tires that are so much larger and softer. I've flown 31's in an -18 so I have an idea of how much higher you feel in the plane when the tires touch but the softness of the Airstreaks are in a different league. And BTW these 29" Airstreaks actually measure 30" ;-)

I'd like to order two sets of stickers:
one "26" Goodyear" & one "850 Airtrac".
Thank you.

We tried getting the printer to do them but they just kept coming out misspelled as "too small" and "even smaller"

TurboBeaver
04-04-2021, 01:54 PM
Lots of folks out there that still haven't made the connection between "high pressure" and "low pressure" tires; regardless of their size.
Good luck with em!
E

Crash, Jr.
04-04-2021, 04:08 PM
The 26 Goodyears are actually fairly low pressure when used on light planes like a J3. Mine were run at between 4 and 6psi in most instances which was a startling revelation when I finally got a low pressure gauge and checked them. After taking them off however it was found the tire had slipped a little on the rim although not enough to damage the valve stem. Keep in mind this is with double pucks but only the stock diaphragm brake master cylinders so not a tremendous amount of braking power.

They were surprisingly soft at that pressure and did fairly well considering the nature of the goodyear tires. Not nearly as nice or safe as a set of actual Bushwheel/Airstreaks however. The real telling thing about the Goodyears is how bent the gear bolts are. You can get away with them and do okay but the airframe is what takes the beating.

IainR
04-05-2021, 03:24 AM
Wow, Iain those look great! 29's on a yellow cub look just right. That's going to be quite a machine with a stroker 85.
Ha ha thanks, it was your advice that I went with with the 29's

IainR
04-05-2021, 03:33 AM
I dig the paint too. What process and color is that?
Gabe is right I think the light is making the colour look a little more washed out than it is. I always took it just to be cub yellow! This picture may show it a little better:

courierguy
04-05-2021, 09:08 AM
The 26 Goodyears are actually fairly low pressure when used on light planes like a J3. Mine were run at between 4 and 6psi in most instances which was a startling revelation when I finally got a low pressure gauge and checked them. After taking them off however it was found the tire had slipped a little on the rim although not enough to damage the valve stem. Keep in mind this is with double pucks but only the stock diaphragm brake master cylinders so not a tremendous amount of braking power.

They were surprisingly soft at that pressure and did fairly well considering the nature of the goodyear tires. Not nearly as nice or safe as a set of actual Bushwheel/Airstreaks however. The real telling thing about the Goodyears is how bent the gear bolts are. You can get away with them and do okay but the airframe is what takes the beating.

I've never figured out why the 3 different pairs of Airstreaks I've run have MINIMUM AIR PRESSURE 6 LBS. molded into the sidewalls. I use that number as my highest pressure, and usually am at 3 or 4, a few times as low as 2.5

skukum12
04-05-2021, 09:18 AM
I've never figured out why the 3 different pairs of Airstreaks I've run have MINIMUM AIR PRESSURE 6 LBS. molded into the sidewalls. I use that number as my highest pressure, and usually am at 3 or 4, a few times as low as 2.5

It makes the feds happy, they need to see some sort of minimum number on the tire.

akomara1
04-05-2021, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=IainR;801167]Gabe is right I think the light is making the colour look a little more washed out than it is. I always took it just to be cub yellow! This picture may show it a little better:
]

hard to say as each company has several different yellow, it looks really good though! I like the high gloss.

When I flew an M-7 235 on 31’s I kept them at 8psi for village strips, and doing off airport stuff I would put my foot in front of the tire facing it, then lean my knee into the center of the tread of the tire until it pushed it in “just so” and easily enough for the “right feel”. This seemed to be around 3 psi.

Colorado-Cub
04-05-2021, 11:26 AM
3 PSI is my favorite as well, but for a 29" airstreak holding up a 850#(ish) Cub. The only time it is higher is to make it easier to push around the hangar.

DENNY
04-05-2021, 11:41 AM
One thing to note for tire longevity is if you are not going to fly for a while pump them up quite a bit. That prolonged sidewall bulge is hard on the rubber. If you want to minimize checking protect against sun, tar, ice, and prolonged low pressure in one spot.
DENNY

IainR
04-06-2021, 02:37 AM
On the subject of bushwheels, how often are people landing on asphalt? I know the official advice is as rarely as possible but what is considered reasonable? One landing in 20 one in a 100?

cubdriver2
04-06-2021, 06:17 AM
On the subject of bushwheels, how often are people landing on asphalt? I know the official advice is as rarely as possible but what is considered reasonable? One landing in 20 one in a 100?

Do yourself a favor

Glenn

Steve Pierce
04-06-2021, 06:22 AM
I land as much as possible in the grass area at my airport but not always possible. Going cross country if the area is unknown I land on the asphalt. Picked up to many damaged airplanes because the owner was trying to save some rubber. My 31s are almost 6 years old and still no cords showing although they are weather checked. I do sweeping turns, taxi is very short and I fueled from cans but recently got a fuel trailer so I am not constantly taxiing to the fuel pump. I look at Bushwheels as the cost of doing business. I can't do what I do with my Super Cub without them and it is worth it.

txpacer
04-06-2021, 07:16 AM
I ran my 31s up to 12 psi for a trip to Idaho one year, figuring the higher pressure would be better for the inevitable pavement landings enroute. The problem was that I forgot to let some air out when I got there. Soldier Bar sure was rough that year

IainR
04-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Do yourself a favor

Glenn
Truck bed liner I presume? Did you do the liner when the tires were new or run a bit of tread off them first?

IainR
04-06-2021, 08:06 AM
I land as much as possible in the grass area at my airport but not always possible. Going cross country if the area is unknown I land on the asphalt. Picked up to many damaged airplanes because the owner was trying to save some rubber. My 31s are almost 6 years old and still no cords showing although they are weather checked. I do sweeping turns, taxi is very short and I fueled from cans but recently got a fuel trailer so I am not constantly taxiing to the fuel pump. I look at Bushwheels as the cost of doing business. I can't do what I do with my Super Cub without them and it is worth it.

Thanks Glen thats great

180Marty
04-06-2021, 08:41 AM
Truck bed liner I presume? Did you do the liner when the tires were new or run a bit of tread off them first?
Thanks to Courierguy using Herculiner on his Rans, I tried it. I have 29 inch Bushwheels on my Cessna 180 and was worried it might throw a chunk into the prop but it worked great. I waited till some cords just started to show but would consider doing it when new.I didn't jack the plane up either. Did what I could and let it cure a day and rolled ahead and finished. I learned don't use the can up to not waste any and get an out of balance situation.

cubdriver2
04-06-2021, 09:04 AM

They were throw aways, 10 + bald cord spots showing on each tire. Did them 5 years ago and just redid them again.

Glenn

courierguy
04-06-2021, 10:57 AM

It's like an entire new sport, flying wise: flying into a new to you paved airstrip (uncontrolled, of course), and while making a normal circuit and approach, figuring out how to safely land NOT on the tarmac. I don't think we can call it off airport flying, maybe off airport/on airport flying, but it is as challenging and potentially dangerous as any real off airport. While also being vastly satisfying when pulled off correctly. I do it every time I can, the most challenging part being not to make multiple low passes like I'd do at a new for real off airport site, as that, and the resulting landing could add fuel to any spectators who may think the practice was somehow "bad." " You screwed up the pattern and THEN you landed off the pavement!" So, lot's of quick decisions while flying a normal pattern, is the challenging part. Just don't do it at Sandpoint ID, I got my a** chewed out there years ago by the airport manager, nice guy, but he made it known not to do it again. Fair enough, ain't been back since.

I am considering laying asphalt on my driveway/staging area this year, and if I do, I need to come up with a non abrasive way to do my turnaround at the top of my strip, as I consider asphalt worse than concrete on tires. I have a large enough piece of the plastic I use on my ski bottoms, attaching it is the issue, it'd come up in the winter so someway of securing it while being removal able. If nothing else, a smooth as possible concrete finish, about 6' square in the asphalt, may suffice, with maybe some sand on it?

courierguy
04-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Thanks to Courierguy using Herculiner on his Rans, I tried it. I have 29 inch Bushwheels on my Cessna 180 and was worried it might throw a chunk into the prop but it worked great. I waited till some cords just started to show but would consider doing it when new. I didn't jack the plane up either. Did what I could and let it cure a day and rolled ahead and finished. I learned don't use the can up to not waste any and get an out of balance situation.

I am experimenting with a partially used can that's been in the freezer since my last application. An old painters trick when using oil based paint: put your brushes in a plastic bag and the cold keeps the paint from setting up, quicker and cheaper than cleaning them when your using them often. It may work to keep a opened can of Herc pliable, we'll see, no biggie, it's cheap enough, especially as compared to the tires.

Mauledriver
04-07-2021, 02:24 AM
Not sure what the 29ís and 31ís weigh, but the 8.50ís I used to have on mine were 6ply and weighed 16lbs each (Air Tracís). I just put these aero classic smoothies on there at 22Ē tall and weight in at 10lbs each. The 4 ply makes them so smooth. Iím looking to sell the Air Tracs btw. 55009

Thereís more to a 29Ē Airstreak or 31Ē Bushwheel over an 8.50 (treaded or slick) than weight.
Being a tubeless tire youíre able to run significantly lower tire pressure which allows absorption of rocks much better and they provide a whole bunch of cushion for the airframe.
The 29Ē Airstreaks are a great option and are a pound less than 26Ē Bushwheels and they increase the aoa a little more than the 26Ē for a minute advantage on takeoff