PDA

View Full Version : PA-11 Cowl Question

Andy Meyer
12-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Can someone explain to me what is going on with the cowl on this PA-11 in the pic below? Iím considering buying this plane but not sure I have seen a lower cowl with the back angle down as if it were intentionally a flange of some sorts. Anyone know? Also, curious of peopleís thoughts on the figment. Seems to be a decent space surrounding the cowl. Is that normal? Can it be adjusted?

Thanks,
Andy

Dan Gervae
12-21-2020, 10:34 PM
They added the bottom piece for sure...I don't have any ideas as yo why??? unless they were trying for better cooling.....it appears to have rubber molding all the way around for anti chafe??

supercub
12-21-2020, 10:55 PM
The top cowl at the rear should touch the boot cowl from one side to the other. The side doors at the top should touch down a few inches or so. The side doors should have about 1.5-2 inches opening at the widest point on the rear sides. I've seen this vary greatly on various PA-11's. PA-11 typically run hot, one cure is to put a large lip around the bottom..........that one looks to be a little overboard though. One cause for the top cowl not touching could be the baffling across the back of the engine being to high. That large of a lip and the box that encloses the carb air box are not stock items on a PA-11. Really nothing wrong with the box, as long as there's clearance. The lip looks to be riveted/fastened on. So appears that could be redone, if needed or wanted. Good luck.

Steve Pierce
12-22-2020, 08:00 AM
The additional lip is to divert the slipstream to allow more air through and out of the cowling for better cooling. Same with the =tighter inlet around the airbox.

dryfarmer
12-23-2020, 09:28 AM
Steve I sealed around my air box like you suggested and lowered my temps by 10 degs