• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Window/Door catch, what and from whom?

IainR

FRIEND
Underberg, South Africa
Hi All, busy getting my cub back in one piece, one of the things that is missing is the catch that is on the under side of the wing that holds the upper half of the door/window in the open position. Any advice on where I can get a replacement catch?
Any info appreciated!

DC12847, available at Dakota Cub. It is the “chicken head” latch. Other options are out there but this is easy to latch open and close in flight. I have not had good luck with the wire window holder; the window floats open and sometimes it’s a pain to close.

Other creative options are out there, especially if you are experimental.

—Amy

Glenn, yes will be flying with it open, a plus if it can be reached from both seats.

Glenn, yes will be flying with it open, a plus if it can be reached from both seats.

I made a bracket bridge between the bottom of 2 ribs to mount the latch in the middle of the upper door. No holes in ribs, bracket clamps in place

Glenn

Anyone using gas springs successfully. I bought some...haven’t spent time designing how to hook them to my upper doors...I have a left side upper door in my EX11 as well. Any pics anyone has would be welcome:)

I have found a few nice examples in the search area

Anyone using gas springs successfully. I bought some...haven’t spent time designing how to hook them to my upper doors...I have a left side upper door in my EX11 as well. Any pics anyone has would be welcome:)

I have found a few nice examples in the search area

I don't think the upper door frame is stout enough to handle it

Glenn

The original spring steel clip available from Clyde Smith if that is what you would like.

In addition to the clip, there are a few simple parts that attach to the bottom capstrip of the associated rib inside the wing. Hopefully they are still there in your airplane. they can be found inside the inspection hole adjacent to the clip.

The original spring steel clip available from Clyde Smith if that is what you would like.

In addition to the clip, there are a few simple parts that attach to the bottom capstrip of the associated rib inside the wing. Hopefully they are still there in your airplane. they can be found inside the inspection hole adjacent to the clip.

Thanks Waldo! how do I get hold of Clyde?

I had the spring clip that Univair still sells on mine. It was worthless. Wouldn’t hold door up while taxiing. Anytime you bumped the door it would come slamming down on you. Replaced it with the catch type. Cub Crafters , Dakota Cub or Amazon (<$10) Works much better. There’s some old threads about where to install it.
Foggy

I had the spring clip that Univair still sells on mine. It was worthless. Wouldn’t hold door up while taxiing. Anytime you bumped the door it would come slamming down on you. Replaced it with the catch type. Cub Crafters , Dakota Cub or Amazon (<$10) Works much better. There’s some old threads about where to install it.
Foggy

The rib the original clip is attached to can "move around" during recovering or other changes can put the clip out of position. If I found one that wasn't holding the upper door open in flight, I have put a shim behind the clip at its attachment point. That fixed the problem.

The original catch is worthless in my opinion unless you are restoring to totally original. the chicken head cabinet latch works in the real world.

I understand the frustration, but the original latch on my airplane has worked well for 73 years.

The spring steel clip broke once about 20 years ago, and I sacrificed my 6" stainless steel ruler to bend using duckbills and a vice into a reasonable facsimile until I got a proper replacement. While it was in place, I had a handy (partial) decimal equivalent reference along when I flew.

The chicken head latch is surely an improvement and only adds an ounce or two. My only caution is "improvement creep". Keep adding improvements and suddenly you have an airplane with an additional 200 pounds in empty weight.

I just noticed this is in the J3 forum. My comments were for a PA18. I keep forgetting we have all these forums for other types now and don't pay attention to the obvious. :oops:

Thanks all, I have dropped Dakota Cub a message but have had no response, does anyone have a email address for them?

I used the one from Cub Crafters. Works for me.

IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg
Wow....shows a little corrosion.....guess I have another item on the annual "do list"

Hope this helps

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,149
  • IMG_6319.jpeg
    IMG_6319.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 1,179
Brass, no corrosion. https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Heavy-...rass+latch&qid=1608810516&sr=8-43&tag=mh0b-20

51hJ4vyp5lL._AC_SX569_.jpg

I ordered an array of those from Amazon a few years ago. Some were good some not. Have to look at my stash for the part numbers that had a good stiff spring etc.

I ordered an array of those from Amazon a few years ago. Some were good some not. Have to look at my stash for the part numbers that had a good stiff spring etc.
I bought mine from West Marine. One spring fell out, replaced it with part of a ball point pen spring. Also altered the hook with a file for a better grip. No other issues.

Hi All, busy getting my cub back in one piece, one of the things that is missing is the catch that is on the under side of the wing that holds the upper half of the door/window in the open position. Any advice on where I can get a replacement catch?
Any info appreciated!

Seasons Greetings Iain

When I started the restoration of the SuperCub, one thing that was near the top of the list was a decent catch that held the window open in flight.

The original catch was weak and we modified it with a small rubber castration ring around the wings which was a partial success but the window still flopped down at times which is always a surprise.

I have ordered the latch from Cubcrafters which Bill has fitted, think it is the best solution. We have not fitted the tank yet so will do a bit of work to mount it properly with a little bridge despite what the listing says.

I actually have two on the way via USPS to the UK and could probably send one on to you if you needed it soon.

Kind regards

Stew

http://store.cubcrafters.com/Upper-Door-LatchCatch-Kit_p_800.html

castration-rings.jpg

Attachments

• castration-rings.jpg
    castration-rings.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
That catch has worked quite well for me. If you can reinforce the area at the latch it will help. Perhaps a 3" square of .032 riveted on would help a lot.
The prop blast when flying with the window open works the rivets that hold the latch on. Or perhaps put nut plates in there if you can still access the backside.

Hope this helps

Bill

That catch has worked quite well for me. If you can reinforce the area at the latch it will help. Perhaps a 3" square of .032 riveted on would help a lot.
The prop blast when flying with the window open works the rivets that hold the latch on. Or perhaps put nut plates in there if you can still access the backside.

Hope this helps

Bill
At rebuild I put a doubler in that area of the leading edge with a break in it to catch the spar and flush riveted.

Last edited:
My Cub had the original style catch when I got it in 1997. Have no idea if it was the original piece. About 2007 or 8 the spring broke and I used a stick to hold it open until I got around to ordering a new catch from Stoddards. Bright shiny chrome and it only cost $5.00. Within a week it was all rusted. Replacing the broken piece was easy as it mounts to the back side of the spar and was accessible from an inspection cover. That worked until we rebuilt the wings in 2012.

When we rebuilt the wings using new spars, I recall the mounting holes for the original style catch were drilled, but I decided to go with the chicken-head style catch. However when we put the wings together, covered,painted, and mounted the wings to the fuselage, we discovered we hadn't provided any backing to attach the catch. We didn't feel like pulling the tank, so made a backing plate from a length of extruded aluminum angle with a nut plate to mount just in front of the spar through the leading edge material. Figured out where we wanted the catch and drilled a couple holes. With a minimal amount of lost blood and skin I was able to reach through the leading edge from the wing root and hold the backing plate with the tips of my fingers while someone else ran the machine screws through the holes to attach the catch. It's worked fine so far. It's a bit forward of the original location, but easily reached from the front seat.

The take home message is to provide a place to attach the window catch before covering.

Jim

Last edited:
I just noticed this is in the J3 forum. My comments were for a PA18. I keep forgetting we have all these forums for other types now and don't pay attention to the obvious. :oops:

Maybe time for a name change? Submit your choice?
I would go with: ALL AIRCRAFT MATTER.ORG or DIVERSITY FLYING.ORG lest we be considered biased or racist of less equal airplanes.

25+ years ago when I got my Pa11 it had a flat SS spring type latch that worked great. Just lift the door and it latched by itself. It was shaped like this

IMG_20201227_093337.jpg

IMG_20201227_095559.jpg

When it finally broke I made a new one out of a document paper clips that looked like these

Screenshot_20201227-093323.png

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_20201227_093337.jpg
    IMG_20201227_093337.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20201227-093323.png
    Screenshot_20201227-093323.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20201227_095559.jpg
    IMG_20201227_095559.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 147