• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Seat Frame Refurbishment?

180_jeff

I think I might have a line on a set of vertically adjustable seats from a late 1960s plane to replace the stock seats in my '58. If the price is right and I buy them, the plan would be to completely disassemble and replace all worn parts (roll pins), may need shimming here and there, etc. What you guys do about the paint - media blast (I don't have a blast cabinet), prime and paint; send out for powder coat?

Last edited:
In general I am not a fan of power coat, but, that may be the best way to do it. If you are willing to take it apart I think it would look great when you are done.
DENNY

In general I am not a fan of power coat, but, that may be the best way to do it. If you are willing to take it apart I think it would look great when you are done.
DENNY

Why? What is your bad experience with powder coating??? Powder coating has been a much superior product since mid 1990’s. Do you have experience with it and with prior solvent based systems???

Strange statement by you.....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The plan would be to completely disassembly and replace all the roll pins, clevis pins, etc. Hopefully, most of the seat roller housings are ok. They are like $250 ea (McFarlane) and the salvage yard where I found the seats won't make an assessment regarding the housing condition re the AD dimensions. While apart, I am leaning towards powder coating, assuming they can come close to matching that Cessna antique-whitish color.

Back