• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ASI issue - something is off

TxAgfisher

East Texas
When I first flew this Cub I was thinking the ASI despite being marked as MPH was actually indicating knots. However, it looks to me like the tube is bent upward and not getting all the air it should be. What is this secondary contraption under it? The picture is kind of blurry but you can see from level flight the tube is about 20 degrees above horizontal.
IMG_5296.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5296.JPG
    IMG_5296.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 196
That is a bent pitot and static tube. Bend the entire assembly down until the upper one is parallel or slightly nose down in relation to the bottom of the wing. The lower tube should be lower and parallel to the pitot tube. That is the static port.

The pitot tube should be aligned within +/- 10 degrees of the relative wind.

And after you realign the tubes leak check the pitot tube. Slip a rubber hose tight over the open end then pinch it off and roll it up some. Watch the airspeed for an increase (from more air pressure in the tubing) and whether it holds indicated airspeed/pressure. If it bleeds off fix the leak. Leak = low indicated airspeed.

Gary

Do NOT blow in the airspeed tube!

Yes. Which is why a rubber hose slowly rolled up to create pitot pressure is safe. If it won't hold pressure find the leak with soapy water sprayed on the tune and connections.

Gary

Or just insert the proper size phillips screwdriver into the hose to create airspeed.

Back