• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aileron Bellcrank bolt specs

MEM-PA12

For the last 3 evenings I have looked all over the parts manual for the part number of the bolt that attaches the bell rank to the wing. I believe it is an oversized NAS shear bolt but can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Would anyone have any better detail on it?

Thanks!

MS24694-S62 or -60 for rod end. Normal bolt I think for bell crank mount, drilled.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Update: the bolt that goes through the bellcrank is an AN4-25 drilled.
The odd screw (with the beveled head) as Mike MCS Repair notes above is an MS24694-S62 or Piper PN 12713-006.

Update: the bolt that goes through the bellcrank is an AN4-25 drilled.
The odd screw (with the beveled head) as Mike MCS Repair notes above is an MS24694-S62 or Piper PN 12713-006.

Spruces numbers might not exactly match, is what I was inferring.. But I got 3 diffrent sizes in stock now after learning that... if anyone needs

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the differences between the Spruce and Univair screws:
FB58FD21-4C82-4E09-AC02-12CAD0EE641D.jpeg
This is a Spruce S63 and has at least 3 threads showing after the locknut.

Attachments

• FB58FD21-4C82-4E09-AC02-12CAD0EE641D.jpeg
    FB58FD21-4C82-4E09-AC02-12CAD0EE641D.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 539
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 183
Look those ears over very closely- have found lots of them cracked- from guys not putting the proper washers in between the rod end and the ears and pinching it down. Pa-12/J-5/Pa-14 aileron and PA-18 flap cast (original) bellcranks.

Yes, I read a post or two about those commonly being cracked. I feel good about mine but will also regularly inspect them too. Also, SB 109 addresses these possible cracks and the inspection requirement of the bellcranks.

Last edited:
Look those ears over very closely- have found lots of them cracked- from guys not putting the proper washers in between the rod end and the ears and pinching it down. Pa-12/J-5/Pa-14 aileron and PA-18 flap cast (original) bellcranks.

Do you know if there is an AN960 equivalent to those Piper 80122-7 washers?

The shank length is what is important, people would tighten down on a shorter shanked screw and crack the ears of the casting.

Do you know if there is an AN960 equivalent to those Piper 80122-7 washers?

Per the Piper drawing:
80122-7 1/2" OD x .191 ID- .045 thick 1025 Steel
Called out between the bellcrank and the rod end on the flap bellcrank on a PA18 and then in the later parts manual is called out as a 407-564 (AN960-10).

Yes, I read a post or two about those commonly being cracked. I feel good about mine but will also regularly inspect them too. Also, SB 109 addresses these possible cracks and the inspection requirement of the bellcranks.
If you have your wings opened up, I'd urge you to seriously consider spending the money and installing the billet cranks.

Just found another one today:

Wow, hot topic. I have one wing covered and am about to cover the second wing. The billet cranks are looking more attractive. I believe you can still remove the crank carefully from the rectangular inspection opening after covering...though not nearly as easy. I will give this some consideration.

Back