• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ForeFlight or Garmin

JeremyLee89

VA Ambassador - The RAF
FRIEND
VA
I’m looking at doing a panel upgrade on my 53 Supercub. I’ve been trying to figure out which way to go, I’ve got 9.7” iPad with foreflight. Trying to decide should I go with that or something similar to the Garmin 660 in the plane. Pros and Cons?

Jeremy Lee

The Garmin 660 was built for all kinds of temperatures and an aircraft environment - way more than the iPad which was built to use in your recliner. Having said that, I always have an iPad with foreflight in the cockpit for charts, etc. I would never rely on it for primary. The owners if the "iCubs" found out the shutdown for temperatures by the iPad could be annoying.

I bought a 496 when they came out. It is still going strong (and I put fresh data on this year) after fifteen years or whatever. In that time I have had four or five (at least) different iPads...

sj

I concur, when the iPad gets hot (because of your fancy cover + running navigation software + charging) the chances of it shutting down due to overtemp is real, fine if it is just a reference and you can take it off charge, unpack it out of its cover and let it cool down, NOT good if you are busy sweating a difficult Navigation point or being drilled for answers by ATC. I fly with my iPad running foreflight in an AIR CONDITIONED aircraft and have had it shut down cause I left it lying on the passenger seat in the sun.....

My G3X has a cooling fan. I won't need it most of the time but best to be prepared, right? So it goes with an iPad. If I lived in a warmer climate and intended to use an iPad I'd get ahead of the problem.

I use my max size iPhone instead of my iPad and find it very useful for the moving map, even with the G3X. I've always been a Garmin user so Garmin Pilot is more intuitive for me and I like that it communicates with my G3X, GDLs, etc.

https://www.pilotmall.com/products/...ef3fBIA9YBbeVjgxNrD7KRXxK-MY1IC4aApQdEALw_wcB

Ok I knew about the over heating issue and it will be mounted into the panel.
So would the 660 be the best option or something different, need it to be removable since I can’t lock the Cub.
Also which would I need for the ads-b? I have no radio or transponder in it at this time but looking into putting them in also

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Whether iPad or 660 you'll need an ADS-B receiver like a GDL-50 for In services. For out? Your transponder decision will influence that. You have choices.

another problem is that you can't always see your iPad if it is in direct sunlight.... so I would definitely go for an installed Garmin unit. dont know the 660 but my G3X is visible even at our extreme sun conditions we have.

Whether iPad or 660 you'll need an ADS-B receiver like a GDL-50 for In services. For out? Your transponder decision will influence that. You have choices.

I’m looking at a trig radio and possibly a trig transponder due to their size

Jeremy Lee

Mode C? Google Uavionics and Garmin GDL-82. Both are very popular and there's lots of internet chatter about them.

I have an iPad mini that I use with ForeFlight. I do my flight planning, maps, tracking, etc. on the iPad. I have an Aera 660 that I also use. I have it mounted front and center. I use the course arc feature, terrain warning, and some other features. I can send routes between the two so they are sync'd. Since my 660 has the bare wire mount I also have it sending GPS data to my fuel flow computer (EI FP-5L) as well as my Artex 406 ELT. And the 660 audio is hardwired to my headset audio. One drawback to the 660 is it's a Garmin device so when you decide to go with ADS-B you'll likely use a Garmin device (GDL 50/52) for ADS-B In traffic. Foreflight is supported by a number of ADS-B In devices including the Stratux build-it-yourself unit which I have. Although I am switching to a GDL 50R as I prep for ADS-B Out so I can also see the traffic on my Aera 660.

Like others have said, I have both. I especially like Foreflight maps in Canada, but prefer Garmin maps in the US. In a tandem seat aircraft I give the iPad to the Backseater and that allows them to stay engaged and also helps them at times to support the front seater. I have a Garmin 796 in the panel and find it absolutely invaluable especially in mountainous terrain with the upgraded terrain database.

My opinion only

Bill

I vote for any panel mounting (AirGizmo or otherwise) to be limited to an aviation unit. An iPad, which I have with me on nearly every flight (ForeFlight) is a “disposable” device that will be updated every couple/three years. Each new one seems to have a different dimension, cord, etc....hardly a situation where I would like to be cutting a different hole in the panel. The aviation stuff (Aera, etc) seems to be more of a near-decade proposition (I still have my 496).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lets see, VFR plane, flying in VFR weather...

At some point you can get so much electronics going that you might as well just fly a Bonanza or 210... so consider why you are using them?

Bill goes for big trips every year, and saves lots of fuel with his GPS. Reality is it saves $$$ for charts also. Beyond that, what are you doing with it? The IPAD will have newer information than a panel mounted GPS and cost a whole lot less. Do you really need it, or using it to help with other navigation (pilotage)?

Pretty funny hearing about iPad having heat issues... the weather I thought about was cold. Mine did fine on a 4 hour flight with no aux power, temps around 10 degrees. Not much heat in a beaver, and that one had some drafts also, so inside temps were COLD.

If you are staying close to home, do the iPad because it will cost you much less.

No opinion on adsb, I am not coming to Anchorage is my solution.

Back