• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12-150 Left Window Installation Fitment issues - need some help

Atxcruiser

SPONSOR
Trying to install new Great Lakes Aero left rear side glass and sliding window glass but they are not fitting 100%. Top to bottom fits great, thickness at .100" fits great but the width is too short on both pieces where they meet. I did not do the rebuild on this plane but is the vertical divider stock or has something been changed over the years? Any help is appreciated. Zach

Attachments

• 58629785447__696E6E36-66FD-4271-A18E-DF8748FF832C.JPEG
    58629785447__696E6E36-66FD-4271-A18E-DF8748FF832C.JPEG
    159.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_9552.jpg
    IMG_9552.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_9553.jpg
    IMG_9553.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_9554.jpg
    IMG_9554.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Will get some tomorrow and post them up. This is from the left side looking at the airplane. Glass is installed in the picture and has a gap between the slider and the rear left glass near the vertical support seen in the picture.

I don't know how close the tolerances were when new, but a lot of them are all over the place 70 yrs. later. I usually build those items from scratch to get a proper fit.

GLAP is re making them for me at this point. Thought it was strange that they were that far off... Will see how the new ones fit.

No two Pipers exactly alike. We usually make a cardboard pattern for each section, then have them cut.

Web

No 2 pa-12s are the same. You still need to post better pictures so we can show you why

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Fingers crossed the new ones fit! Are they glass or perspex?

Slightly off tack but related...... landed my 12 on Monday with the left window slid open, used a left rudder sideslip to slip off some height and then a bit steeper sideslip and was suddenly accompanied during the steeper slip by the rattling and banging of the left window in the revised slipstream flow!!!! :) I hope yours have better damping material in their runners :)

Back