• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fluidyne Fli-lite Ski 3000 question

jake.kueber

Anchorage, Alaska
I just recently bought a cub that came with some fli-lite 3000's. They seem to be in good shape and have all the fittings. They have a standard gear, breaks, hand pump, and wheels. Unfortunately no STC. I was just wondering what they are worth? I have been told straight ski's are the better route and probably the direction that I will go. Thanks for every ones help. I am new to all this and learning fast.

Depending on who you talk to a STC may not be required (CAR 3). Straight skis do preform better but have limitations. If you have a year like this one still lots of snow above 1800 ft out to play in. You might want to ask around before you sell them.
DENNY

You will love the fli-like 3000s.

They are approved on an 18. But you didn’t say what type of “Cub” you have.

I himmed and hawed for a long time over the straight ski/wheel ski debate. Lots of pros and cons with any ski configuration. I am VERY happy with the Hydraulic wheel skis I settled on. Like a previous poster said they give you lots of versatility when there is no snow at your home airport.

And the Fli Lites are arguably some of the best skis out there. I’d keep em, that spring ski flying is the BEST, but the home drome is bare ground.

MTV

The STC was issued in the 1960's, was not issued aircraft specific at that time. I have a copy of the STC and all of the drawings. It was for PA-18, standard gear. It was used for my plane field approval on a PA-12 with extended gear as part of the approved data basis. They are great skis!

I just recently bought a cub that came with some fli-lite 3000's. They seem to be in good shape and have all the fittings. They have a standard gear, breaks, hand pump, and wheels. Unfortunately no STC. I was just wondering what they are worth? I have been told straight ski's are the better route and probably the direction that I will go. Thanks for every ones help. I am new to all this and learning fast.

If you decide to sell them, I will buy them!!!

My current 12 is nearing completion. I had sold the set I was saving for it when I believed I would never get it finished.
That was a reasonable decision at the time, but I wish I had more faith that “it will be finished someday” would eventually get here.

Please PM or email me if you have any questions about 3000 flying or if you want to sell them.

Paul Heinrich
stmawr at me.com

Last edited:
Spend a winter or two on Lake Hood and live through the freeze thaw cycles a few times and you'll come to appreciate hydraulic skis a lot. If you travel in winter? Double that.

FliLites are really good on the snow. That's not the case with all wheel skis. Many of the opinions you'll hear from friends and acquaintances won't have real experience with wheel skis. They repeat the same old rhetoric. The only down side to FliLites from straights is weight, and for many of us that's an easy compromise.

I paid $10K for a really good set of FliLites with all the goodies and that was over 10 years ago. Condition matters. Having the attach fittings matters. If your fittings are welded on and the gear goes with? Standard length will lower the price. Guys want 3" extended for skis. Spring isn't the best time to sell skis and get a premium price but if you find a guy who wants FliLites? You never know what a day holds.

I like the Fli-Lites a lot. Super floatation and maneuverability. The ability to the retract one ski using a brake and the pump to turn in a tight space is invaluable. The only drawback I had was the tailwheel doesn't like gravel.

Beware of the 'standard' gear, you may not have the required prop clearance with the 82" prop

I agree with the comments on the down side of standard gear as I was about to toss my hat into the ring. For reference, a friend paid $9500 two years ago for a really nice set ( that I wish I saw first) and it came with 3" ext gear. Regardless, I have seen them perform in some close quarters next to straights and they are quite capable.

If you do list them feel free to post a link.

Jerry

The STC was issued in the 1960's, was not issued aircraft specific at that time. I have a copy of the STC and all of the drawings. It was for PA-18, standard gear. It was used for my plane field approval on a PA-12 with extended gear as part of the approved data basis. They are great skis!

Is the STC and drawings still available? I purchased a PA-18-150 this summer that came with the Fli-Lite 3000's but no documentation. My AME was hoping to see the installation drawings. Thanks in advance

Is the STC and drawings still available? I purchased a PA-18-150 this summer that came with the Fli-Lite 3000's but no documentation. My AME was hoping to see the installation drawings. Thanks in advance

I have STC and all drawings. It’s older one so totally transferable, not limited to a single use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my opinion, you won’t find a better set of skis for all round use. Start your ski flying with some dual, or at least fly along with some experienced ski flyers who can show you some things to watch out for and techniques.

But those are great skis.

MTV

I too am having a hard time finding STC and installation drawings for Fluidyne Fli Lite skis PA-18
Any help would certainly be appreciated.

I used a 337 to install them on my first 12 with 18 gear attachment points. The FAA never complained. C8898A04-59C7-4375-9396-34E909FC841E.jpg9E79EB9A-106D-4A3B-8FA2-48AF92E17FD7.jpg

Attachments

• 9E79EB9A-106D-4A3B-8FA2-48AF92E17FD7.jpg
    9E79EB9A-106D-4A3B-8FA2-48AF92E17FD7.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 152
  • C8898A04-59C7-4375-9396-34E909FC841E.jpg
    C8898A04-59C7-4375-9396-34E909FC841E.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 175
Installation Drawings

I too am having a hard time finding STC and installation drawings for Fluidyne Fli Lite skis PA-18
Any help would certainly be appreciated.

I contacted Wipline and in 10 minutes I had the install drawing and parts list for same e-mailed to me. The only thing missing is the parts info on the rear hold down rigging but that seemed pretty straight forward and I just received new shock cords from Airframes Alaska for those. 5/8" cord in a 5" ring. (model 1050). Nothing on the STC yet but PM me if you need further on the ski's. I also ordered a complete set of o-rings for the hydraulic cylinders from Aircraft Spruce and of course they didn't leak!:lol:

Back