PDA

View Full Version : Old Guard Fly-in at Gaston's Resort

Flying Ds
03-04-2019, 11:28 AM
For those of you who have followed the story telling on the Old Guard thread, we are now starting a thread to tell you about the Old Guard Fly-in that we are having at Gaston's Resort in north central Arkansas. After reading the other Old Guard thread, Eddie was inspired to call some members that had been to some of the "old" fly-ins to see if they were interested in attending a "new" fly-in. They were, so Eddie called Mike Sisemore who called Gaston's and got the ball rolling. The fly-in will be over Memorial Day weekend. Mike and Patty and Eddie and I will be there on Friday May 24th. We encourage anyone, young or old, to join us. Come for one day or the whole weekend. If you are planning to stay over one or two nights, we encourage you to make a reservation as soon as possible (check online at Gaston's.com). Gaston's has a wonderful restaurant, great landing strip, is situated on the White River, just a beautiful place! We are going to start this thread so let us know if you have any questions...or comments.
Ed and Charlotte Doyle and Mike and Patty Sisemore

cafi19
03-04-2019, 03:46 PM
What days are folks planning on being there? I see arriving on Friday...staying until Monday?

okmike
03-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Yes, so far most are arriving Friday and heading home on Monday, some may stay later. They said rooms are filling up fast with it being a holiday weekend and we need to make our reservations.

SteveE
03-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Ok Deano, Papp, ET, Keating, Lou, Lewis, Tim Allen and Tim Martin, Pierce, Tom Powell !!, Schwend and Hartman bring the Rv for 2 days, Murph, Ford, Meade, Old Cuby Jim, POPS! Joe D. ,Lance! Evan! Beck, Wittler, Geezer Dan, The Alabama Flash! Charlie and The Donald!!!!Crap, I canít think of them all! Spread the word. Itíll be a hoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ag-pilot
03-04-2019, 04:45 PM
With any luck it will have warmed up and thawed out by then and we will be done with this climate change BS. Itís been -30f here the last few days with 20 mph wind.....Iím ready for spring and spraying season.
dave

OLDCROWE
03-04-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm in, working on Mike Sharp...

SteveE
03-04-2019, 05:05 PM
With any luck it will have warmed up and thawed out by then and we will be done with this climate change BS. Itís been -30f here the last few days with 20 mph wind.....Iím ready for spring and spraying season.
dave

Your such a loser. U can be here in 3 hrs in that rv.

RaisedByWolves
03-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Maybe Tim can show me the way out there

FdxLou
03-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Bummer! Can't make it due to our Granddaughters HS graduation.
As a reminder, the new owners of Gaston's DO NOT ALLOW CAMPING.
Looking fwd to seeing and hearing all about it.
Lou1

Cub Builder
03-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Since Gaston's is local to me now days, even though I'm not part of the "old guard" as far as the SC list goes, I hope you don't mind if I stop by during the afternoon for day or two.

-Cub Builder

CamTom12
03-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Since Gaston's is local to me now days, even though I'm not part of the "old guard" as far as the SC list goes, I hope you don't mind if I stop by during the afternoon for day or two.

-Cub Builder

Same, Iím working to free up that weekend. Itís only a couple of hours away.

JDWilliams
03-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Iíll be there if Iím not working. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Flying Ds
03-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Fdx Lou! You're not old enough to have a granddaughter...especially one that is old enough to be graduating from high school! We'll just have to continue having these fly-ins periodically since it is impossible to get to everything we want to in these "golden" years! And you are right...no camping allowed so we have a friend of ours who only camps (along with a group of his buddies) checking out camping possibilities in the area. We know Bill and Yevette (close?)Tracey won't consider coming if there aren't camping possibilities!
And Cub Builder, you are absolutely welcome any time you can drop by! I personally would like to meet you. My family moved to AR back in the 1960's (Rogers/Bella Vista/Hot Springs) but I was out of high school...and in love with Ed Doyle... so I stayed in KS. It shouldn't be hard to find someone associated with the group any time you would stop by. This might not be the way you do things here on SuperCub.org, but my cell number is: 785.410.3640. Text me if you have any questions at any time.
And CamTom12 from Huntsville AL and JD Williams, just know we hope you can get those work situations handled! We want as many people as possible so "new" people can meet "old" people and new stories can be created.
If we haven't said this enough, "EVERYBODY IS WELCOME!" That's how the "old guard" membership got so large! I can remember meeting EV Roosevelt and Chuck Kinsberger at a fly-in at Gaston's. Chuck flies from FL to KS to hunt in the fall...he always comes by to stay with us for a day or two. I encourage everyone who plans to attend for at least a little while, let us know by posting.
Finally, for those who do not know, I am Charlotte Doyle, wife of Ed Doyle (who does not "type"). We started dating at age 15(!!!), got married at age 21, and will be celebrating our 55th wedding anniversary this year...do the math and you will see we are senior citizens! I tell you this so you understand that I will be the one making the posts for the Flying Ds (chosen after returning from the first Red River Redneck fly-in and learning about SuperCub.org. I put it in "favorites" and taught Eddie how to mouse! the rest is history!). Until...
Charlotte Doyle (enabler of Eddie Doyle)

okmike
03-05-2019, 11:09 AM
GOOD NEWS
The airport manager David at Marion County (KFLP) airport just called and they willl allow and encourage under the wing camping during our fly-in at Gaston’s, they also have two hookups for travel trailers or motor homes. David, the manager said they would try to arrange transportation into town, KFLP is 4 mi SW of Gaston’s and they have 24 hr self serve fuel.

fabricman
03-05-2019, 12:27 PM
I donít know if I will be back from Alaska by then or not,but will do my best to be there in the ďUgly DuckĒ (PA 22-20 160). Check out H34, Huntsville, AR. We have the cheapest gas around and a 1200í crosswind grass runway. Anyone that would like is welcome to camp at my place (I live in my hangar on the airport).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SJ
03-05-2019, 02:36 PM
We are booked for Sat and Sun nights!

sj

SteveE
03-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Charlotte.... saying love and Ed Doyle in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Iíd replace the word love with outlaw.....

SJ
03-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Since the term "old guard" is largely thought to have originated with Napoleon's Imperial Guard, I presume a statue like this should be one of the door prizes?

sj

Darrell
03-05-2019, 08:02 PM
And what exactly qualifies one to be part of the “Old Guard” vs member of SuperCub.Org?

SJ
03-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Everybody is welcome!!

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93960)

evroosevelt
03-05-2019, 10:16 PM
And I remember meeting you My Wife of 55 years and I will be at Gaston's on the 8th thru 12th of may for a CubCrafters fly-in wish we could stay and see everybody
EV

Flying Ds
03-07-2019, 05:35 PM
We have contacted some of the local pilots who like to fly "back country." They are excited about coming to Gaston's. I guess since we have been involved in so many fly-ins like many of you...I'd better start worrying about the weather that weekend. Now that will do a lot of good!
Charlotte Doyle

Steve Pierce
03-08-2019, 06:47 AM
Maybe Tim can show me the way out there

I think you and Chris know the way well from following all the road signs to and from Gastons in the past. 8) The return trip was quite entertaining from above. ;)

This whole "Old Guard" thing got started by some of the original members of Super Cub.org . The unique thing about this website has been how new members get accepted into the fold. Old is a relative term. I saw this at the restoration seminar we held in Graham, half of the folks had been there before and half were new. After a day or so nobody knew the difference. Cathy and I will be there. After the little gathering at Kirby's after Christmas I can assure anyone attending some great stories and you will figure out some of the little digs some of us get in on each other from time to time. Gonna be a great weekend with folks we don't get to hang out with enough. Hope to finally meet you Cub Builder and CamTom12.

SJ
03-08-2019, 07:12 AM
Maybe we should do a live stream from Gaston's? Story time....

sj

Steve Pierce
03-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Maybe we should do a live stream from Gaston's? Story time....

sj

Sometimes not suitable for prime time and not sure the statute of limitations has run out.

SuperDuper
03-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Ed & Charlotte / Mike & Patty,

Really happy to see you guys getting a fly-in put back together for the Memorial Day weekend. I understand that the fly-in is open to any and all.

Wishing you good weather, good company, and a safe fly-in. Hope to be able to make it over for the weekend.

All the Best,
Clayton

flymore
03-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Booked Friday-Monday. Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

DC

Steve Pierce
03-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Cathy and I got a room so we are looking forward to a fun weekend.

Flying Ds
03-30-2019, 09:08 PM
I'm getting this thread back up so people who may have missed it can see the info. I have been doing a little spring cleaning and found a Red River Red Neck shirt and an OK 18 hat so I have my wardrobe for the weekend. Eddie is encouraging me to make name tags (maybe to help him remember some of the names!), but I also remember how much some of you hate name tags!!! My friend Fraudman in Sioux Falls definitely would not let me name him! This is just going to be so much fun!

Flying Ds
05-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Well, as I said several weeks ago, it is time to get this thread back up since, can you believe it, NEXT WEEKEND IS THE FLY-IN AT GASTON'S!!! We have been watching the water rise in Tuttle Creek Lake. We live 2 1/2 miles from the lake, but it has rained so much in the last two months (and the Missouri River is full), that the road we generally take into Manhattan is 38 feet underwater! The creeks have backed up to our farm and out a little on one of our fields! And rain is predicted today and tomorrow night!
BUT I CHECKED THE WEATHER FOR GASTON'S NEXT WEEKEND AND IT IS PERFECT...80's during the day and 70's at night! Eddie and Mike have been talking about "what's happening" so I'll be reporting what I find out from them. We are looking forward to seeing everyone!
Charlotte Doyle

cafi19
05-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Cant wait Charlotte. We haven't seen you in FAR too long!

See you all next week!

cafi

Flying Ds
05-18-2019, 04:03 PM
Just talked to Sisemore. Mike and Patty will get to Gaston's on Friday...so will we. When will the rest of you begin arriving? This will help us do a little planning! We have had another 1 1/2 inches of rain so we are plenty soggy! Gaston's is looking great!
Charlotte

Eddie Foy
05-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Myself and Joe Edwards Saturday morning. Leaving Monday.

SJ
05-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Myself and Joe Edwards Saturday morning. Leaving Monday.Same for us.

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93960)

OLDCROWE
05-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Thursday evening, departing Sunday.

okmike
05-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Some thoughts

Everybody is welcome

Some are arriving Thursday - Most leaving Monday

Trout fishing is fun

Camping is allowed at Flippin Marion County 4 mi (KFLP)

Come for the day if you cant stay over

Everybody bring chairs and tie-downs

IMPORTANT DO NOT MISS GROUP MEETING - Saturday 5:00 pm - next to runway in front of office

BE SURE TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR MEALS
SATURDAY NIGHT around 6:00/6:30 or whatever you can after meeting - tell them you are with the fly in group

Saturday/Sunday breakfast/lunch fly out options (call to confirm):

Byrds Adventure Center 70nm 51AR

Horseshoe Bend 40nm 6M2 - might be open for breakfast only

Walnut Ridge 80nm ARG - call and check

Carroll County 52nm 4M1 - call and reserve courtesy cars - Eureka Springs - I think they have 4 cars - be sure to stop by the RAF Trigger Gap strip 17A just south of 4M1

Bentonville 80nm KVBT - new Louise resturarant

Please post any other breakfast or lunch fly out options I missed

Flying Ds
05-19-2019, 12:52 PM
OK, here are the people I have heard (by actual communication or rumor!) are coming to Gaston's: Mike and Patty Sisemore, Steve and Kathy Pierce (and Lee who is definitely a member of the Old Guard?), Steve and Linda(?) Eaton, Mike Sharp, Randy and Julie Corfman, Kirby Crowe (are you bringing your daughter who is also definitely Old Guard?), David Childs, Eric Taliaferro and ? (Eric and his dad, Jimmy, were the ORIGINATORS of the Red River Red Neck Fly-in that started all of this!), Rick Papp (great Rock and Roll dancer!), Joe Beck, Tom Powell, Matt Wittler, Dan Wild, Terry Chizek, Doug Wilson, Eddie Foy, Joe Edwards, Ray Mason, Tony Terrell, Ed and Charlotte Doyle...and others??
Here are people who should be coming: Bill and Yevette (sp?) Tracey, Jay Pratt and Carol Beard, Dean Nordsving, Chris (and wife whom he courted at the Redneck Fly-in) Keating, John Blocker, Terry Dow, Sy Smith, Dennis (Shooter) Smith...and others? Are there any local Arkansas pilots coming?
Please keep me up to date!!!
Charlotte
Here are the w

Flying Ds
05-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Just checked Cathy (spelled correctly) is coming with Steve!!! Now we just need an update on Lee!!
Charlotte

okmike
05-19-2019, 01:56 PM
Some others I know of that are coming

Dean Nordsving
Brad & Pam Howerton
Jim Lane
Tim Martin
Ed Fogle

Nodak33
05-19-2019, 05:19 PM
Iíll be there as well, hopefully flying thurs and departing Monday.
Son and wife will be driving up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

SJ
05-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Laura and I plan to be there too Charlotte!

sj

Steve Pierce
05-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Cathy and I were planning on bringing the Super Cub and Lee doesn't seem to want to ride in the pod so he will be staying with Tabitha all weekend. Cathy and I will be the Friday and depart Sunday or Monday.

OLDCROWE
05-19-2019, 06:43 PM
The Sisemore family has a long tradition of making it tough to bow out of a party.

okmike
05-19-2019, 07:17 PM
The Sisemore family has a long tradition of making it tough to bow out of a party.

Ha, sounds like my old Dad. For those that don't know Kirby's folks and my folks were running mates and party animals that both had airplanes they traveled together with.

WindOnHisNose
05-19-2019, 08:45 PM
Julie and I will fly down Thursday, leave Sunday. Really looking forward to this!

Delta Cub
05-19-2019, 09:20 PM
I will fly in on Friday afternoon and leave Sunday.

Hopefully Bill Tracey will show up and assume flight lead for an unauthorized gaggle of Cubs chasing each other around the Ozarkís. Lots of pretty grass airstrips in north central and north western Arkansas to explore. Hopefully several Super Cubs drivers will fly out to Byrdís Adventure Center for some photo ops. Maybe someone in our group is talented and dedicated enough to produce a short flying video of the Old Guards in action.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

CamTom12
05-19-2019, 09:28 PM
I'm in! Planning right now for Fri through Sun or Mon.

Planning to camp at FLP - anyone else?

Cub Builder
05-19-2019, 09:36 PM
OK, here are the people I have heard (by actual communication or rumor!) are coming to Gaston's: Are there any local Arkansas pilots coming?
Please keep me up to date!!!
Charlotte
Here are the w

I plan to pop in during the day. I was over at Gaston's a couple of times this week. Kind of splashed in last week. Runway had dried out and was in great shape this weekend.

Jeff Scott a.k.a.
-Cub Builder

Steve Pierce
05-20-2019, 07:27 AM
Good site for researching places to fly out to around Gaston's.
https://airfield.guide/default.asp?menu

botto
05-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Hello to the group my name is Bryant Otto. Was able to get a room. Myself and my girlfriend are planning on coming in on Friday and leaving Sunday. I am new to the group but looking forward to meeting everyone and getting some tips on rebuilding my Super Cub and doing some fishing and relaxing.

Flying Ds
05-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Great to hear from you Bryant Otto. You are on my list! We all love meeting new people, and we women will welcome your girlfriend. Are you from Arkansas or nearby? I have family in Bella Vista and Hot Springs...but I live on a farm outside of Manhattan KS. Tuttle Creek Lake is now moving into our corn field!!! and the forecast is for rain every day this week! In 1993 the water back almost up to our house so you can tell I am not going to be very relaxed this week watching the water come closer! Bryant, you might as well start telling us about your Super Cub...as you can probably guess, everyone in this group is enthralled by everyone else's airplane...and there should be quite a variety at this fly-in.
Charlotte Doyle

Flying Ds
05-20-2019, 12:01 PM
I need help. "Cub Builder" from central AR indicated that he plans to drop by a couple of the days. Well, I went through the entire membership list and I can't find out who "Cub Builder" is. Who are you, "Cub Builder" and where in central AR do you live? I know, I'm getting personal!!!
Charlotte Doyle

Eddie Foy
05-20-2019, 12:15 PM
I need help. "Cub Builder" from central AR indicated that he plans to drop by a couple of the days. Well, I went through the entire membership list and I can't find out who "Cub Builder" is. Who are you, "Cub Builder" and where in central AR do you live? I know, I'm getting personal!!!
Charlotte Doyle

Flying Ds
05-20-2019, 12:55 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I later saw your name on your post! Now I need Cam Tom's, Delta Cub's, Nodak33's, and Fabricman's "real names." Is Fabricman back from Alaska so we can hear Alaska tales? I will accumulate the names of the people I think are camping and get back to you.
Charlotte Doyle

OLDCROWE
05-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Charlotte, are you doing name tags again?

botto
05-20-2019, 03:32 PM
I live in Conway right in the middle of Arkansas just north of Little Rock. My Super Cub is one that my Grandfather had that my Brother and I soloed in and I was able to buy it back and now it is taken apart and I am starting to recover and do a few mods to it. It is a 1957 PA-18A I am looing forward to seeing some different ones and getting some ideas. I plan on going back pretty much stock with it at this point. Sorry to hear about the water invading your corn. I work in the aviation fuel business and sell to airports and crop-dusters in AR, LA, and MS and it has been a slow year due to rain and flooding here also. Hope to fly something up this weekend even if its not a Cub.
Bryant Otto

Tim
05-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Damn, that's a long way

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93960)

okmike
05-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Come on Tim, life is short

Flying Ds
05-20-2019, 05:28 PM
For any of you who have not been around this merry gang of pilots, you can start to see the kind of tales that make their lives so interesting. Being able to solo in your grandfather's Cub and then buy it, is a great story. I can imagine the stories, Bryant, that your grandfather has told! We traded a pasture for our 1950 PA-18 and it has some tales to tell on my husband! And my husband and a good friend used to hunt the area where you sell aviation fuel for old Cubs that had been used for crop spraying. They would buy them, fix them up, fly them to Alaska and sell them (more tales from those trips!!!).

Eddie Foy
05-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Sounds like we need to get acquainted. Tell us your name. I am moving to 6AR0, Cypress Creek Airpark owned by Joe Edwards. Look us up.We will be there.

My ride. 42977

I live in Conway right in the middle of Arkansas just north of Little Rock. My Super Cub is one that my Grandfather had that my Brother and I soloed in and I was able to buy it back and now it is taken apart and I am starting to recover and do a few mods to it. It is a 1957 PA-18A I am looing forward to seeing some different ones and getting some ideas. I plan on going back pretty much stock with it at this point. Sorry to hear about the water invading your corn. I work in the aviation fuel business and sell to airports and crop-dusters in AR, LA, and MS and it has been a slow year due to rain and flooding here also. Hope to fly something up this weekend even if its not a Cub.
Bryant Otto

Flying Ds
05-20-2019, 05:43 PM
NAME TAGS Why, YES, Old Crowe, there will be name tags. Some history for some of you. Eddie and I went to our first fly-in at Jimmy and Eric Taliaferro place outside Lone Grove, OK. The first one was so exciting for us that we could hardly contain ourselves talking about it when we got home...but we couldn't remember most people's names...so the next year I took a notebook and connected people to their names...and, of course, what they flew! I continued "interviewing" people when the fly-ins moved to Mike and Patty's OK18 strip in NE OK. Everyone was so great putting up with my "interviews." But then I found out when I would go to New Holstein or back to OK18, folks would come up to me to get someone's name that they couldn't remember! Now I have run into some resistance from a couple of guys who didn't want their names known. I'll leave that story for another day!
So, YES, there will be name tags...now more because some of us are so old that we sometimes can't remember our best friend's name so we need all the help we can get to keep us looking like our memories are definitely intact!!
Philosophical observation about names: I love looking through the membership list and associating the "handle" with the "real name." As a retired teacher, I may have to make up a test to see how many of you recognize people by their "handles" rather than their "real names." And how did you choose your handle? SteveE worked hard on his!
Charlotte Doyle...FlyingD's

Flying Ds
05-20-2019, 06:11 PM
I'm on a roll! I just called Gaston's (870.431.5202) and made reservations for dinner at 6 p.m. Saturday evening. Remember to tell them you are with the fly-in group. I found out that we do not need to make reservations for breakfast (buffet and menu are available) nor lunch. We would like to all sit in the same area, but to "contract" to do that is expensive and we would all have to eat the same meal...so we are trying to work around that by making reservations early, getting there early and still sitting together! Aren't we clever.
Charlotte Doyle

SteveE
05-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Edís wife....you never interviewed me.... just sayin.

sodak
05-20-2019, 08:48 PM
I am NOT wearing a name tag, Put mine on Tim

SteveE
05-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Thatís ok Deano, your name is listed on the wall at the post office.

TulBiplane
05-20-2019, 10:11 PM
Charlotte,
We will arrive Saturday in the straight tail. Chris Wellen is bringing our Cessna 120.

Pamm wants to know "What is Ed's favorite cookie?"
- Brad and Pamm Howerton

SteveE
05-21-2019, 06:39 AM
Moon pie

Steve Pierce
05-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Ed’s wife....you never interviewed me.... just sayin.

No need, she talked to Linda, now she knows everything she needs to about you.

Flying Ds
05-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Pamm, Eddie's "smart" answer about what kind of cookies he likes...all kinds! Which is true, but I do know he likes oatmeal cookies because he eats them daily!
And, Steve, I think I learned about you "over time!" I can remember when I first met you and Mike, you said you were from Jenks OK. I thought that must be a small Oklahoma town like Lone Grove. You could have just mentioned that Jenks is a suburb of Tulsa! You're a city boy! I may not have interviewed you, but I do have a picture of you that Joy Cub provided to me! Want to see it?
I'm working on a list of campers. Don't forget to call in those restaurant reservations for Saturday evening.

cafi19
05-21-2019, 12:50 PM
If this rain doesn't stop we will be driving but we will be there one way or another. Arriving Saturday and departing Monday.

Looking forward to seeing you all. Some of you have been in hiding for too long....post office wall or not.

cafi

SJ
05-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Rain? What rain.... :roll:

SJ
05-21-2019, 01:11 PM
P.S. Made dinner reservations.... she assumed I was with the "flying group" and set us up for 600....

sj

Rick Papp
05-21-2019, 04:51 PM
ToMake dinner reservations do we need to do it for every day we will be there is that the plan that we will all eat together? I made it from South Florida to Dothan Alabama today and will continue to watch the weather. This is a long detour on the way back to Ohio.

SteveE
05-21-2019, 05:57 PM
Pick up a cat or two in case the restaurant is booked.

behindpropellers
05-21-2019, 06:35 PM
ToMake dinner reservations do we need to do it for every day we will be there is that the plan that we will all eat together? I made it from South Florida to Dothan Alabama today and will continue to watch the weather. This is a long detour on the way back to Ohio.

Bill Tracy routing.

NE Cub
05-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Noahs Ark?

George

SJ
05-22-2019, 06:17 AM
Noahs Ark?

George

Yep, should subside today, but then fill up again tomorrow... we are beyond supersaturated around here.

sj

OldCuby
05-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Yep, I agree with Tim, would be a long haul for this old tired cub and pilot. Sure would have liked to see some of the old faces that were new when I started this Super Cub journey in 2005.
Post lots of photos.
Jim

Nodak33
05-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Does anyone need/want a room at Gastonís for this weekend?
I have a reservation for Thursday through Monday and I am going to cancel it unless someone else wants it.
I still might fly out to fart around, but will be cheaper just to sleep in the plane, plus the family isnít coming.
Need to know in the next hour or so.

Steve Pierce
05-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Does anyone need/want a room at Gaston’s for this weekend?
I have a reservation for Thursday through Monday and I am going to cancel it unless someone else wants it.
I still might fly out to fart around, but will be cheaper just to sleep in the plane, plus the family isn’t coming.

Yes< I have a friend that was late to the party.

Steve Pierce
05-22-2019, 08:04 AM
If it is OK I will have him contanct you directly. Sorry to miss hanging out and flying with you this weekend.

JDWilliams
05-22-2019, 09:15 AM
I had planned to come in from Fort Smith for at least two days in my PA12-150 but those plans had to change due to a death in the family. Not tragic or unexpected but nevertheless...
I will really miss getting the opportunity to meet everyone. If thereís any way I can make a quick trip up I will definitely do it. Iíll be in N4180M.

Mike Woodson
05-22-2019, 10:02 AM
Stevie, Stevie, Stevie:
Why would Charlotte want to talk with you? She's looking for folks who actually have something to say and have a personality
She knows you're from Oklahoma...Name tag would just say "Okie"

Seriously, have fun my friend. Wish I could be there.

Mike

okmike
05-22-2019, 12:15 PM
I still might fly out to fart around, but will be cheaper just to sleep in the plane, plus the family isnít coming.

You can camp just over the hill at Marion County, Flippin (KFLP) if you want to

SteveE
05-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Stevie, Stevie, Stevie:
Why would Charlotte want to talk with you? She's looking for folks who actually have something to say and have a personality
She knows you're from Oklahoma...Name tag would just say "Okie"

Seriously, have fun my friend. Wish I could be there.

Mike

Woodman, wish you could make it too. Jump in with Mason if u dare. Charlotte canít think of any intelligent questions that could test me. [emoji41]

Flying Ds
05-22-2019, 05:18 PM
OK, SteveE, the challenge is on!!! But first I need to say that I don't think we need to make reservations for any times other than Saturday evening. MikeS, if you think differently, let us know. The sun has shown brightly today, but we know that there are going to be storms Thursday night. When they are out of our flight line, we'll leave...or Eddie will take out when he thinks our "fast" Super Cub will not have a chance of catching up with the storm line!!!
Charlotte Doyle

HalfTonChamp
05-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Fly-ins notwithstanding, I hope those of you in today's weather stay safe. When I lived up that way it was the kind of day the made Gusty dive into his Fraidy-Hole.
:-(

Utah 12 Driver
05-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Heading that way but the weather is going to be a factor, somehow we now have Pacific Northwest weather here in Utah. (Woodson probably sent it this way!) hope to be there on Friday afternoon and plan to depart Monday morning. Look forward to seeing most of you :)

P.S. BTV and his wife will be joining us so that makes a total of 5 in our group if that matters Charlotte

SteveE
05-23-2019, 06:56 AM
Heading that way but the weather is going to be a factor, somehow we now have Pacific Northwest weather here in Utah. (Woodson probably sent it this way!) hope to be there on Friday afternoon and plan to depart Monday morning. Look forward to seeing most of you :)

P.S. BTV and his wife will be joining us so that makes a total of 5 in our group if that matters Charlotte

Why dont you stay home and send Woodson and your wife..... a lot more fun to talk to.....

jon s. blocker
05-23-2019, 09:23 PM
Tried to find a way to get to the fly-in, but unfortunately came up short. Grandsons birthday, Anniversary, Daughters birthday, 3 days of visits to MD Anderson, all in a week and a half, made it impossible. Looking forward to lots of pics and a new round of stories. Have a great time, and be safe. Hoping for blue skies for all of you, Jon

okmike
05-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Going to miss you Jon, you were one of the original
OK18 attendees

Flying Ds
05-23-2019, 09:52 PM
We have a car and a Super Cub ready to leave. We'll check the weather in the morning and see which one we need to jump in. Our friends, Dan Wild and Terry Chizek, left today and called us from Marion County/Flippin earlier this evening. We are dead tired; it takes a lot of energy to get ready to leave home!! See you all sometime tomorrow.
Charlotte Doyle
Dr. Randy, I have a tick bite and a jammed little finger for you to evaluate! Remember when you saved me at OK18?

OLDCROWE
05-23-2019, 11:07 PM
Nancy and I were first in followed by Randy Bob and Julie. Gaston’s is in great shape and the runway is ready for Tiger to tee one up. Be here or be square.

SJ
05-24-2019, 06:58 AM
Early on, some of the "old guardians" were resistant to wearing name tags. Thankfully guys like these set an excellent example for everyone else.

CUBING
05-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Anyone Have a room or a cabin at Gaston thatís not going to be able to make it?? I can pay with PayPal or at resort contact me Mike Lemons 501-269-2520 (tel:501-269-2520)

SJ
05-24-2019, 10:43 AM
I have stayed down the street at Newland's when Gaston's was full. Gaston's let me park the plane and stay elsewhere.

https://goo.gl/maps/KhHvoSDJDqrNMTQM6

sj

CamTom12
05-24-2019, 10:49 AM
Dinner reservation made for Saturday!

I got a super late start in prepping due to work this week. Iím getting my stuff together now but my kiddo is napping in his room. Depending on how late he sleeps I may drop him off at daycare and leave this afternoon to get there in the early evening or I might depart here at sunrise tomorrow to get out there in the AM.

Iíll be camping at FLP. I was hoping to bring my hammock but a satellite recon showed not a lot of trees near the ramp. Instead Iím bringing my ďfamily campingĒ tent. Itís ridiculously overkill for one but oh well, haha!

Planning to head home on Sunday now, just to get an extra day with the family before work next week.

Excited to meet/hang out with yíall!

CUBING
05-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Thank you

CUBING
05-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Thanks

CUBING
05-24-2019, 11:55 AM

I want it if you still have it 5012592520

Nodak33
05-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Sorry man it was gone quick

SJ
05-24-2019, 02:49 PM
Check this out! https://www.gastons.com/

There is a video of all the planes already there a little further down the home page.

SuperDuper
05-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Invitation to the Old Guard
FREE Pancakes and Eggs at OK18
Sunday Morning May 26, 2019

We have room for a dozen or so people - but you will need to be on your game to get in:lol:

Here is a photo I just took this evening - facing North. For perspective, the right main is almost over the south end of the Runway (when its not a sea base).
You only have about 800 feet of runway to work with, so land at your own risk.
Only two ways in right now, either by air or by water. Road has about 2.5 feet of water right now, so won't be any ground shuttle service available.

About 300 feet of trees have been removed from the North end since most of you have been in here - this photo is facing North. I will see what I can do about pinning up the mules before you show up:lol: - but you might want to make a pass or two before committing.

Let me know if we have any takers - I'll need to launch the boat and make a run to the neighbors for some eggs tomorrow.

All the Best,

Clayton

Steve Pierce
05-24-2019, 10:39 PM
Laura, we had a visitor out at the picnic tables by the runway last night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=93960)

JDWilliams
05-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Hi Folks - They're having a fly in/ food and cheap fuel at Ozark H35 close to Byrdís today.

TulBiplane
05-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Charlotte was telling a fascinating story, when she was interrupted...

CamTom12
05-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Iím home safe and had a blast. Wish I could have stayed longer but a full day of fun with my son tomorrow pulled me home.

It was an excellent time and Iím so happy to have met so many great people! Iíll be there next year (Lord willing and the Creek donít rise) and Iím definitely bringing The Kid at a minimum. If work schedules donít conflict then Amy will be there, too.

You people are good people.

Cameron

SJ
05-27-2019, 10:26 AM
We made it back home in a little over an hour this morning after a skirt around a pretty big storm system.

Thanks to everyone who put this event together, I have a lot of pictures I will post as I have time. Thanks to those who made the long voyages to get there, I think Ray get's the long distance award with Randy & Julie or Eddie a close second?

David Childs let me take 129CC around the patch. I still think of Paul Fisher often and I don't think I had flown this plane since he owned it. David has been a great steward of it, it was just like I remembered.

sj

tptailwheel
05-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Si, Iím getting you a plotter for Christmas. But Matt and joe and I talked about it and we wouldnít trade our ride with Randy and Julie for anything other than the obvious improvement in company!
Thanks everyone for a wonderful weekend! I feel blessed to know each and every one of you.
Beaver beater

Flying Ds
05-27-2019, 08:13 PM
What a great weekend! What a great turnout! Here's who attended: Joe Beck, John Brewer, Greg and Kimmie Campbell, David and Pat Childs, Terry Chizek, James Clark, Randy and Julie Corfman, Kirby and Nancy Crowe, Terry Dow, Ed and Charlotte Doyle, Ross Dupuis, Steve and Linda Eaton, Joe Edwards, Ed and Jackie Fogle, Eddie Foy, Brand and Pam Howerton and Chris Wellen, Steve and Laura Johnson and Billy, Cameron Keogh, Jim and his wife Lane, Tim Martin, Ray and Thresa and Matt Mason, NODAK 33, Dean Nordsving, Bryant Otto, Rick Papp, Steve and Cathy Pierce, Tom Powell, Mike and Dianna Roller, Mike Sharp, Mike and Patty Sisemore, Jeff and Becky Scott, Brian and Joanna Southard, Brandt and Molly Vermillion, Mark Warren and his sister, Dan Wild, Matt Wittler, and, I think, Doug Gill who lives near Tim Martin and Cindy Lantry (?). PLEASE let me know if anyone else was there, if I misspelled any names, or if I have someone listed who wasn't there (only 2-3 possibilities because I talked to everyone else!!). You are all so fabulous!
Charlotte Doyle

sodak
05-27-2019, 08:21 PM
What a great weekend! What a great turnout! Here's who attended: Joe Beck, John Brewer, Greg and Kimmie Campbell, David and Pat Childs, Terry Chizek, James Clark, Randy and Julie Corfman, Kirby and Nancy Crowe, Terry Dow, Ed and Charlotte Doyle, Ross Dupuis, Steve and Linda Eaton, Joe Edwards, Ed and Jackie Fogle, Eddie Foy, Brand and Pam Howerton and Chris Wellen, Steve and Laura Johnson and Billy, Cameron Keogh, Jim and his wife Lane, Tim Martin, Ray and Thresa and Matt Mason, NODAK 33, Dean Nordsving, Bryant Otto, Rick Papp, Steve and Cathy Pierce, Tom Powell, Mike and Dianna Roller, Mike Sharp, Mike and Patty Sisemore, Jeff and Becky Scott, Brian and Joanna Southard, Brandt and Molly Vermillion, Mark Warren and his sister, Dan Wild, Matt Wittler, and, I think, Doug Gill who lives near Tim Martin and Cindy Lantry (?). PLEASE let me know if anyone else was there, if I misspelled any names, or if I have someone listed who wasn't there (only 2-3 possibilities because I talked to everyone else!!). You are all so fabulous!
Charlotte Doyle
Jim Lane, Doug Gills

jr.hammack
05-27-2019, 08:48 PM
sj ,great photo of 129cc ,first 180 h.p. cub I got to fly thanks paul ,it still make a grin when I think of great times after getting to know him!! sj in the back seat,got his attension on first t.o.!!

jr.hammack

Flying Ds
05-28-2019, 07:18 AM
I had Jim Lane in my list, but I just said "his wife" because I did not get her name. Could someone tell me her name? And in case you don't realize my "professionalism" when taking information, I hope you realize that I did not reveal NODAK33's real name. What is private at Gaston's, stays at Gaston's...but thanks, NODAK33, for the interesting discussion. And Mark Warren, please let me know your sister's name so I can get that correct in my list. Thanks to everyone!
Charlotte Doyle

SteveE
05-28-2019, 07:41 AM
Made it home just fine only to find that a tornado moved through our yard. LOTS of tree damage, had 3 giant walnut trees blown over in yard. 12 total trees down on property. House was ok, but patio furniture blew off bluff, but only one bent up. We were safe at Gastons visiting with great friends so we were safe, if you call hanging around Ray Mason safe.... Powell, really glad you made it with Joe and Matt. Its been a while. Great visits with everybody...

Steve

Nodak33
05-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Had a blast this weekend getting to meet everyone and putting a face to letters typed on this forum. Hope everyone made it home safe, I know it was sure slow going for me and a muddy splash landing at the end touching down at 2ok7. Runway was a swamp and the plane needs a bath again. But figured i put up a few decent shots to close out a great weekend with a bunch a great folks.

Others can add/upload photos to ALBUM through the link below as well. Would keep pictures in one spot from everyone, and fun to look back on in future years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVozKLNtsVioTNda8

WindOnHisNose
05-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Julie and I had a blast at Gaston's. What a treat to see so many good people and to meet many who I've never had the pleasure to meet in person. Thanks to those who came up to introduce themselves...always good to put a face with a handle.

I'll upload some photos today sometime. Julie and I flew down in the cub and were thankful for good weather coming and going. Julie is such a trooper, enjoyed the flight even though it was a long one.

It was really great to have Mike and Eddie put together an award for Steve and Cathy Pierce. Those two make an important team for us supercubbers, and it was such an honor to be there and give them the recognition that they deserve. The time they spend on the phone helping us with questions about our airplanes is enormous, and it comes with some significant sacrifice. Kudos to Steve and Cathy!

The best part of the flyin was getting to see others who share our love of flying. I've never been around a group of people who are so compassionate. I feel at home immediately with you folks, and the time flies by...too quickly for me. Julie had a great time here also and we felt so refreshed and renewed on our way back to MN. You folks are such a blessing.

Randy

sodak
05-28-2019, 05:52 PM
I had Jim Lane in my list, but I just said "his wife" because I did not get her name. Could someone tell me her name? And in case you don't realize my "professionalism" when taking information, I hope you realize that I did not reveal NODAK33's real name. What is private at Gaston's, stays at Gaston's...but thanks, NODAK33, for the interesting discussion. And Mark Warren, please let me know your sister's name so I can get that correct in my list. Thanks to everyone!
Charlotte Doyle
Debbie

Flying Ds
05-28-2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks! I assume that is "Debbie Lane" and not Mark's sister's name. Oh, how helpful you all are.
Charlotte

Steve Pierce
05-29-2019, 07:52 AM
Cathy and I had a great weekend. It is always nice to get away and what great group of people to hang out with all weekend. Ya'll embarrassed me pretty good with all that Saturday night and like I said then, everybody helps everybody but a really do appreciate the gesture and all your friendship. Had to give the FX3 Carbon Cub back to Mike Sasser yesterday, that is one sweet ride and gotta thank him for letting me take it. I never would have thought back in 2002 when I found SuperCub.org where it would take me, been a helluva a ride so far, looking forward to more. Thanks to you all.

TulBiplane
05-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Steve Johnson's departure early Monday. Just a beautiful airstrip.

SJ
05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Steve Johnson's departure early Monday. Just a beautiful airstrip.

I almost look like I know what I am doing in that shot.... almost... :)

sj

Eddie Foy
05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Made it back to Palm Beach County. Lost my left brake after leaving Joe Edwards place. Makes it sporty stopping and taxiing. If this was easy anyone could do it. Also the CHT on number 6 lost its mind. I love working on airplanes!

Mike Woodson
05-29-2019, 04:49 PM
Looks like not enough forward trim to me :-)

tptailwheel
05-31-2019, 05:44 AM
Pics? Anyone

CamTom12
05-31-2019, 12:10 PM
Pics? Anyone

Nodak33 made an album that anyone with a google account can add to. Iíve put a few in there as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVozKLNtsVioTNda8

Eddie Foy
05-31-2019, 03:32 PM
Fixed the brake. Power bled it from the bottom. flushed out a bit of trash. Brake now as hard as my Johnson used to get. CHT probe on order. Now both G5 backup batteries have gone bad. As my old friend Roseanne Rosanadanna used to say..It’s always something.

CamTom12
05-31-2019, 07:18 PM
Fixed the brake. Power bled it from the bottom. flushed out a bit of trash. Brake now as hard as my Johnson used to get. CHT probe on order. Now both G5 backup batteries have gone bad. As my old friend Roseanne Rosanadanna used to say..Itís always something.

Johnson bar brakes, huh? Old school!

S2D
06-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Pics? Anyone

Nobody wants to see how old you guys have gotten !!

tptailwheel
06-02-2019, 06:25 AM
Not older Brian, just more distinguished. Iím just as handsome as you remember me to be.😄

SteveE
06-02-2019, 07:28 AM
Not older Brian, just more distinguished. Iím just as handsome as you remember me to be.[emoji1]

And a little fuller. [emoji41]

tptailwheel
06-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Iím in shape, round is a shape.....