• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replacing the rear headliner in a fabriced aircraft

Philly5G

England
To get access to the rear of the cockpit and check the fuel and vent pipes running down from the starboard wing to the rear header tank, I had to free off the completely jammed up horizontal zip in the headlining. The zip ended up tearing along the zip seams and at the very end it ripped a rip horizontally across the perforated material headlining to the frame/rear of the D window :(

AbCGprffTP+9DXhUsqie6g.jpg

Even to just repair the zip, I guess the headlining would have needed to come out and now it definitely does, very sadly, as I'm trying keep the aircraft as original as possible. Is it possible to remove and replace the headlining in a PA-12 WITHOUT having to remove the fabric etc? and if yes, what is the way to do this please? Any help and photographs REALLY appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Philly

Attachments

• AbCGprffTP+9DXhUsqie6g.jpg
    AbCGprffTP+9DXhUsqie6g.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
I did an airtex one about 20 yrs. ago on a 12. It was not perforated, but was solid white vinyl. I can't help you with description or pictures; been too long. I recall it being a pain, but mostly just because it was slow work. I did it over a period of a couple of days while working on other things. I would go in there for a while and then get out and away for a break from crouching in there. I removed rear windows and I think it would be near impossible otherwise. I remember going very slowly and using a heat gun to carefully warm and slightly stretch areas before gluing and clamping them and of course you are always cutting very carefully because the material is over large on purpose. I think I used 3M cement to attach it. It will take very careful attention because you can't wrap around the way you would like too, but certainly can be done and look nice. I also did one on a 185 and it wasn't much easier except for room in the cabin; but still looks good 20 yrs later.

Just a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to extend the rip a little further and then permanently install a zipper from side to side? That way you won't have to tear anything out, it will look like it belongs there and you will have access to the back area whenever you want. And it would be a lot easier. These guys have a lot of types of zippers.

Just a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to extend the rip a little further and then permanently install a zipper from side to side? That way you won't have to tear anything out, it will look like it belongs there and you will have access to the back area whenever you want. And it would be a lot easier. These guys have a lot of types of zippers.

THANK YOU Tennessee!!!! What a BRILLIANT idea!!!!! That’s what we’ll do!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back