• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gyro Question

sooty

I will be buying an artificial horizon and standby turn and bank (not turn coordinator) and I'm not sure whether to buy ones for 8 degree or 0 degree panel mounts.

My PA18 panel is near enough to vertical when flying level, but I'm wondering how the AH will cope with spinning up when the tail is down, and thereafter when the aircraft is flying. Will it assume that I'm constantly flying nose down?

Which one to buy?

Thanks for any help.

Buy a Garmin G5. You can set it up to suit your aircraft. No vacuum required. 4 hr backup battery.

geared towards flight attitude. 8 deg would be panel leaned forward like the new wave aircraft. In tail down, taxiing position, you're panel would lean back slightly from normal flight attitude.

Ditto Eddie Foy. Otherwise you are wasting your money. Gyro overhauls are getting pricey as well.

The Garmin GV is excellent, no glare screen is vey good take out and hold in direct sun light , and can see it clearly. Certified version is about 1000 more than non certified version. Legal and paperwork sure will be nice if you have an issue.
It is now legal as one of several (only as one!) such as Attitude or as DG, (possibly others not sure as did not need that) as noted above, sure will help out in a tight spot if you get IMC. Altimeter is excellent and dead on altitudes up to 20k, (just did several IFR Certs and had it checked with regular altimeters. The Pito static guy said it was impressively accurate if set up. Airspeed and Alt have a "anticipator" marker that indicates rate, increase or decrease just like in a glass cockpit Just small. as mentioned no vacuum needed with it, I suggest you look up and see what Garmin has to say about what it can do. It is very light, and has very shallow depth in instrument panel, (I think about 2 inches with out back up battery, and about 4 with battery. Should easily give you ability to mount where many instruments hit the bracing behind panel. I keep my "antique gages" such as airspeed and altimeter for legality, but the Garmin is way more accurate.
Draw backs- if tying into ILS or GPS for course guidance it is very small indicator.
I am such a fan after trying one in my C 180, I put two in my new Bonanza panel. and one in the Mooney, and one in the Cuper Cub. rebuilding the Glassair now and will install one as needed in its new panel. I should become a dealer!! ha! They are very good.

The 'panel tilt' spec is for normal flight. So pick the degree that is closest to what the instrument will be mounted as it is in use.

Web

I just had a Garmin G5 installed in my Super Cub, and couldn’t be happier. It’s programmable for the panel tilt, and airspeed limits. I’ve never had a problem with glare or direct sunlight. I definitely recommend it.

Eric

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Back