• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hartzell 3 blade PHC-C3YF-1RF

texmex

Hanging Rock, Australia.
Hi Guys,

I'm about to purchase a PHC-C3YF-1RF prop for a C180J with a stock O-470 R engine. Always on wheels.
(The prop designation is a confusing jumble of letters and numbers to me)

Aluminium 3 blader, with the more rounded tips. Not scimitar.

I have read the recent prop thread and have come to the conclusion that although it may not pull any harder then the C203 on take off, it will do so with a lot less noise.

Any other things to know specifically with the PHC-C3YF-1RF prop?

Cheers,
Texmex.

First of all, I have never been able to make heads or tails of the Hartzell model numbers.
But I personally would shy away from Hartzell props.
Seems like they all have expensive AD's on them-- either one time or recurring, but expensive either way.
I know a couple different people who bought Hartzells, "no ADs on this one",
only to have an AD on it issued shortly thereafter.
Even if there was a very large discount vs a Mac 401, I'd have to think pretty hard about it.

That's if you have to have a 3-blade.
An 88" Mac C203 (or 201) is a pretty good choice for a 470-powered C180--
is takeoff noise that big an issue, vs the weight & cost of a Hartzell 3-blade?

I agree with Hotrod180. Personally I would put a 2 blade MT on it. Light, strong/durable, great performance, easier to ship than a 3 blade and no AD's like the Hartzell's. I have owned 3 MT props over the years, all have held up better than the metal props, all were better performers. That is my experience.

Specifically, Hartzell hangs their service shops out to dry. I've been down the road with them, will never go there again.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your model specific question. It's been more than 5 years and I'm still mad. [emoji1]

The Scimitar prop on the 180 with a bit larger engine, and the 185 with the scimitar prop were both nice machines to fly.

If I were going new, I would look at those or the MT.

Thanks guys. All good info. I have never thought about AD's on a prop.

Unfortunately the C401 is not STC'd with the O-470 R engine. And unfortunately noise is an issue operating out of my own backyard with a number of neighbours. If I had a different engine I'd like to go down the C401 road.

Specifically, Hartzell hangs their service shops out to dry.

gbflyer, would you mind elaborating on this a little? Slow to supply parts, or overcharge on parts? Warranty issues?

aktango58: how did the Scimitar prop go on gravelly surfaces? Those tips look awfully thin to me.

I don't know if you have gone this route yet but I have that exact prop you are talking about for sale used. Its a great pulling prop and I have been happy with it but just time to move onto something different.

Thanks guys. All good info. I have never thought about AD's on a prop.

Unfortunately the C401 is not STC'd with the O-470 R engine. And unfortunately noise is an issue operating out of my own backyard with a number of neighbours. If I had a different engine I'd like to go down the C401 road.

gbflyer, would you mind elaborating on this a little? Slow to supply parts, or overcharge on parts? Warranty issues?

aktango58: how did the Scimitar prop go on gravelly surfaces? Those tips look awfully thin to me.

Sorry for the way slow reply.

Sure, I’ll elaborate.

I ordered a Top Prop for our 206 from a dealer in MT. It was going on an early 206, no letter prefix. The dealer sent Hartzell a request to make sure it was OK to install, the answer was to the affirm. I have the FAX letter somewhere with my aircraft serial number on it. Prop gets to Alaska after lengthy and costly barge ride/landing craft ride to the weeds where I live. Mechanic pulls the paperwork, low and behold it’s a long hub model for a 207/later 206. We call dealer, dealer calls Hartzell, someone else there says we can’t use it under the STC for our airframe. I’m not happy by now so I speak with Hartzell folks. No mention of getting me the right one. The woman there owns up to mistake, then she says “Well, you’re in Alaska so get a field approval”. For an airframe they already build the correct prop for and STC? Right....FAA says good luck with that!

Everything is boxed back up, gets sent back, dealer refunds my money and Hartzell sticks him with the freight bill.

Might have been a one time thing, who knows. All I know is that they can count me out as a customer. Plenty other choices out there.

AK1TrackMind - Yes too late for me, but if you PM me your details I will pass them onto a friend who's looking.

gbflyer - Thanks, yes that sounds like a poor show by someone not giving a hoot. Fingers crossed.

Do people torque up those prop bolts, and if so I assume that modified adapters are used. Access is too tight for a standard socket set up. I'd like some photo's of any modified torque wrench adaptors for those prop nuts if someone has them.

Thanks.

Back