• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help Want to Build Cowling Like a Carbon Cub???

Aerotow1

I am working on an Experimental PA-12. This is a new fuselage, oversized tail feathers, 3 inch gear with suspension, and a set of D&E Wings. All came from Steve Furjesi at www.Super-12.com . Absolutely beautiful workmanship, give him a call if you need any work done. This was a project he started for himself and then his plan changed so I bought it and am really excited about the build. I really like the look of the Carbon Cub cowl and would like to build one out of carbon fiber. Can anyone send me in the right direction for help on this ? I know building a cowl like this is going to be a huge undertaking, but I am willing to put in the effort so if someone could get me started in the right direction it would be very much appreciated. Thanks,

Dan

A friend of mine built a cub type and used the carbon cub cowling. They are available for 2k plus as of 2 years ago.
We had a carbon cub through the shop a few years ago and I was surprised to learn that their entire cowling was only 1 lb lighter than my pa11 replica cowling. 11 lbs if I remember right. With that knowledge I decided to make a nosebowl mold that had the pa11 "look" but with better over the nose visibility like the carbon cub for the lycoming engine. I'll be working on building the cowling for the next week or so.
If you really enjoy composites, then I would say go for it, but I probably have 30+ hours just in making this nosebowl mold, and it still could use some tweaking. Also, unless you can vacuum bag, I doubt that you will be able to make a cowling lighter than a traditional type, even with carbon fiber. Just my 2 cents, have fun, I know I am!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 146
Looks great Clint!!

I don't mean to do anything to rain on your parade but the little bit of playing I did with carbon fiber (was trying to make flap noses out of carbon fiber) quickly learned me that without vacuum bagging and some very labor intensive plugs or molds there is no way you can make parts lighter than alum...your mileage may vary and good luck!!

Catto is now making the Carbon cowlings for the new BCSC rev2. Craig and his crew do great work!

This is yesterday at Catto

attachment.php

attachment.php

AKT

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,023
They're still working through fitting and flow testing so it's too early to pin a weight value on it. The carbon fiber boot cowl and cowling is an exciting development, though, and Catto's involvement makes it even better.

Back